Your relations with the local police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your relations with the local police

How's your relations with your local police?

When I started in hotel security back in the late '70s we were looked upon as rent-a-cop, want-a-bes. The police had very little to do with us. When they needed information they would go to the front desk & speak to whoever was working there.

Over the years we became more professional. We hired police technology students (like me ). We formed an association of hotel security directors & met once a month with the police & fire officals. Police Officers would come & spend time with us. It became so that no police officer would walk into a hotel without checking with the security unless he was in hot pursuit!

Then Montreal changed to Community Policing. Everything has changed. This system was supposed to bring the police closer to the citizens. It might have with the individual person but not with us. In order to keep them free for quicker response to emergencies we now must send victims of crimes, where there is no suspect on the property to the police station where the citizen has to write his own report. The police then issue a report number & if the crime was serious enough pass it onto the investigators.

Where as I used to know all the Constables patrolling my hotel by first name I don't even know the last names of many of them now.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Where I work, we have a wonderful relationship with law enforcement, both local as well as federal. There are times when the police will use us for assistance. We also have the ability to deal with almost all crimes by ourselves, using PD for transport. I appreciate the co-operation we have with the law enforcement officials. It shows great trust on both sides and together we can achieve the same goal of providing a safe enviroment. just the other day, local pd called us to report an armed suspect on the loose near our property. Because we are all armed they gave us a description and told us to keep an eye out. We didn't see the suspect but the fact that the pd took the time to notify us 1) gave them more eyes and ears to help catch a dangerous criminal and 2) kept us safe by knowing who to look for. I wish more pd's would take the time to befriend local security companies, we all have the same goal.

Comment

In my area, it really boils down to the individual LEO. Some are friendly; others act as if we don't even exist. Part of it is the industries fault. As long as security companies focus on marketing hype rather than trying to improve the caliber of guard that they hire, you are going to have lazy, incompetent, sloppy-looking guards that make a very poor impression with any LEO's they interact with.

Don't look for much improvement in relationships with the police as long as WBS companies are allowed to continue lying to their clients and the public about the capability and quality of the guards they hire. Some of the marketing people in these companies must have started their careers as used car salesmen. Bottom line: You will ALWAYS get what you pay for.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In the past we had problems with a city police department. Most of the officers were lousy but their gang unit was really good and they were fine.

The area I work now isn't so much patrolled by LE, but it falls under jurisdiction of the Sheriff's office. We encounter them rarely but of the few times I have I must say I was quite impressed. Deputies are definatley a cut above police officers. They never have any attitude; in fact they are pleased that there call load is reduced in our area because of us. Every time a deputy wants to come in they always stop and tell us why first too.

Comment

Deputies are definatley a cut above police officers.
          Last edited by Tennsix; 03-22-2006, 05:13 PM.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah your right Tennsix it was a bit of a generalization. I have met city cops who are good like the deputies. But I have yet to meet a bad deputy. One thing I know about the Sheriffs office here is that they tend to hire people who are older and have more life experience than city pds. A deputy said this is because they are supervised far less than city cops and there backup is miniumal.

Comment

I do agree that age and maturity play a big part in an officer's demeanor.
              sigpic

Comment

What exactly is the difference between a police officer & a sherriff? I believe in Canada a sherriff is the person that seizes property after court judgements have been passed. I know from watching a lot of US tv that it is not the same down south.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

In my area we have a great relationship with the police.Anytime one of our officers they classify it as a high priority response.Ive had a five minute response on a trespass on a saturday at 9pm. The officers are very professional.

Also if we make a detention it isnt the usual "oh, a security guard detained someone assume he screwed up like most other companies they deal with especially an agency that dresses in swat gear ,n.a corbier knows who i mean.. Its more like "oh, an EDI officer has a guy in cuffs, the suspect must have screwed up bad. Im not saying we are the best companyin the area, bbut we are one of the best.
                  "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

In many areas, I trust the police more than the sheriff's department. The sheriff is an elected official who has the power to appoint deputies who may have had a key role in their election or reelection, but may not be the highest qualified officer available for the position. Connecticut has even taken the unusual step of eliminating the sheriff's position all together and using judicial marshals for prisoner transport and other duties normally preformed by the sheriff's office.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In Indiana, the Sheriff is primarly responsible for the jail, civil process, court security. They also do the traditional law enforcement stuff in the unincorporated areas of the county and have authority throughout the entire state. The Sheriff and his/her deputies are officers of the court system.

The responsiblities can vary a little from state to state but are generally the same.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                        In many areas, I trust the police more than the sheriff's department. The sheriff is an elected official who has the power to appoint deputies who may have had a key role in their election or reelection, but may not be the highest qualified officer available for the position. Connecticut has even taken the unusual step of eliminating the sheriff's position all together and using judicial marshals for prisoner transport and other duties normally preformed by the sheriff's office.
                        We have a merit system the keeps a lot of that sort of thing in check. Having worked for city, county, and university (state) I can say they are about the same whe it comes to te political game.
                        sigpic

Comment

You'll find in Florida, and other southern states, that the Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the county, and local police chiefs are subservient to his authority if he chooses to exercize it.

I was once told this by a police instructor to illustrate the difference between the local PD and the Sheriff in Florida: The Sheriff, if he decides he has grounds, can take over law enforcement services in a city, disband the police, and fire the police chief. The Coroner (Medical Examiner) can do the same to the Sheriff, at which time the Governor will call a special election. Florida has the Unified Sheriff theory, as one sheriff is as powerful as all others in their counties, and all act to preserve law and order for the entire state. The Sheriff's Jurisdiction is anywhere in his county, regardless of incorporation. Agencies that are stupid enough to argue this point usually find increased deputy presence.

In Wisconsin, it is up to the Sheriff to decide how much law enforcement services he wants to provide. Sheriffs do not have to be sworn LEOs in WI, but they must have an Undersheriff who is sworn. They may patrol unincorporated areas of the county, and may provide law enforcement services in towns without the town's consent.

In Illinois, from what I can gather, the Sheriff may or may not be sworn, but may have a Sheriff's Police who provide law enforcement services to unincorporated areas and/or supplement towns and other agencies.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                            What exactly is the difference between a police officer & a sherriff?
                            The Sheriff's office is responsible for seizing property, collecting on liens, auctioning off seized property, executing arrest warrants and other orders on behalf of the county superior judge.

As far as LE differences; the Sheriff is responsible for patrolling the unincorporated areas of the county.

A police officer has far less responsibilities (does nothing for the courts) and generally patrols within the city limits only.

Comment

I think it is crazy how the east coast has elected sheriffs (who often come with no LE background). That does not happen here.

Sheriffs are promoted not elected.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X