Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add to the list (suggestions welcome)

Defensive tactics Principles

Balance displacement-use one of the 8 corners of judo Kazushi to pull or push of balance, Use the triangle they go to a corner take them over, get them to over commit to there attack then bring them down

Leverage-pull on the wrist push on the elbow or shoulder, pull on the ankle push on the knee

Dead weight-when you take the suspect into custody with your knee on the rhomboids you just want to relax your body into them like a bird on a tree branch

Scan the area-once you have taken down the suspect and gained positional dominance you want to scan the area using your whole head and not just your eyes

Let the strike die on target-let the strike sink into the motor points for

Eh, if someone wants to try that Kung Fu s*** on me, they're going to be introduced to my Taser. 50,000 volts beats "balance displacement" any day.
    10-8

Comment

A cop once gave me some great advice he said and I quote "tactics over tools" you cant rely on your tazer 10/10 times, granted they are VERY effective but what happens if you cant draw your tazer in time for example. The principles I mentioned above were for UNARMED defensive tactics

thank you for contributing
      Ben Wallace

Comment

A taser, a gun, or any other weapon, is an extension of the hand. To disarm somebody you have to eliminate their ability to operate the weapon. The most important thing to remember about having to defend yourself here is it happens very quickly and you have to "keep it simple stupid".
        My preferred method is gun-fu.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

8 fists are better than 2. (Same applies with guns, but not for my story here..)

I remember a while back I was working a security detail as a Police Cadet on a University campus. Basically, there was a large Catholic High School convention. So the Private University set up 2 large circus style tents to house about 1,500 - 2,000 high school students. Now, this was a large increase to people on campus so the University Security wanted our Police Cadet unit to provide some extra bodies. I dont even remember if the university paid for this. I think we provided a free service.

So anyway... my shift was from 0000- 0700 and the other shift was from 01700-0000. University Security had a two man car on duty 24/7.

So, being a Sergeant of the cadet unit, I took it upon myself to head out to the detail at 2000 instead of 4 hours later to provide some extra eyes to the on-duty unit. (we had 2 cadet patrol cars at the time) My partner and I, arrived on scene early, and one of the sergeants in the other car decides that he is going to yell at us for coming on early. Claiming that we arent supposed to be on until 0000. His reasoning? There was a lot of action going on between the hours of 8-12. He didnt want anyone else dipping in on it.

Now, I dont know about any of you guys, but if I can get an extra set of hands, eyes and ears... I will never turn it down.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Never underestimate the value of good cover.
            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
              Never underestimate the value of good cover.
              Obviously, I very much agree. Having backup, in a lot of situations, will de-escalate a situation in its own. I remember some details where one of my co-workers will be having someone yell at them or acting tough, and just my arriving presence has gotten them to calm down, because now they know the fight isnt fair. The way I see it, if the bad guys are going to roll around with gangs, why cant we?
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

In my first year as an LAPD reserve (1991, just after the Rodney King thing became news) my partner and I stopped a pedestrian who was acting suspicious. The pedestrian was easily 6'-4" and weighed at least 260 lbs. of solid muscle. He was covered with white supremacist and white prison gang tattoos, which is why we wanted to talk to him in the first place.

During the first part of this encounter the guy was nothing but polite and cooperative. I ran him and discovered he had a "no-bail" parole hold. It turned out this guy got released from prison about 30 days before and never bothered to report in to his parole officer.

As soon as the guy heard "parole hold" over my radio he assumed a fighting stance and said no way was he going back to jail and that he could kick two cop's asses easily. And I am sure he could have.

Long story short we called for all the backup we could get. We got another six cops there and my partner asked the guy if he still wanted to fight. The guy looked all eight of us directly in eye and said, "Ok, there is enough of you here now." and put his hands behind his back and went to jail as meekly as a lamb. I learned two valuable lessons that day; never underestimate the value of backup and it does not make you any less of man to call for help when you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                  In my first year as an LAPD reserve (1991, just after the Rodney King thing became news) my partner and I stopped a pedestrian who was acting suspicious. The pedestrian was easily 6'-4" and weighed at least 260 lbs. of solid muscle. He was covered with white supremacist and white prison gang tattoos, which is why we wanted to talk to him in the first place.

During the first part of this encounter the guy was nothing but polite and cooperative. I ran him and discovered he had a "no-bail" parole hold. It turned out this guy got released from prison about 30 days before and never bothered to report in to his parole officer.

As soon as the guy heard "parole hold" over my radio he assumed a fighting stance and said no way was he going back to jail and that he could kick two cop's asses easily. And I am sure he could have.

Long story short we called for all the backup we could get. We got another six cops there and my partner asked the guy if he still wanted to fight. The guy looked all eight of us directly in eye and said, "Ok, there is enough of you here now." and put his hands behind his back and went to jail as meekly as a lamb. I learned two valuable lessons that day; never underestimate the value of backup and it does not make you any less of man to call for help when you need it.
                  I wonder how hard he'd of been beaten back in for going back by only two. It sounds alot better if it took 8 to bring him back.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    I wonder how hard he'd of been beaten back in for going back by only two. It sounds alot better if it took 8 to bring him back.
                    That was the whole point of his resistance, so he could say, "Yeah, they took me down but it took eight of them to do it!" If he really wanted to run he would have fought us long before we called for backup.

If he was only brought it by two cops his prison gang, the Nazi Low Riders, would have taken some sort of disciplianry action, such as a light beating. If he put up no resistance at all he probably would have been kicked out of the gang and then would have been fresh meat for the rest of the prison population.

In California prisons anyway, if you are not affiliated with one of the prison gangs none of the other inmates will socialize with you nor protect you from victimization.

Comment

As soon as the guy heard "parole hold" over my radio he assumed a fighting stance and said no way was he going back to jail...
                      That's why dispatchers need to be discrete when they run a subject and get a "hit." Our policy was to ask the officer(s) if they are in his/her cruiser before radioing the information. The officer knew that meant there was a hit on the subject and he would make sure he was out of earshot before asking the dispatcher what the nature of want/warrant was. This also gave the officer(s) a chance to request back up w/o the subject hearing it. In the meantime, they just engage the subject in conversation designed to make him think that all is well until the back up arrived.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                        That's why dispatchers need to be discrete when they run a subject and get a "hit." Our policy was to ask the officer(s) if they are in his/her cruiser before radioing the information. The officer knew that meant there was a hit on the subject and he would make sure he was out of earshot before asking the dispatcher what the nature of want/warrant was. This also gave the officer(s) a chance to request back up w/o the subject hearing it. In the meantime, they just engage the subject in conversation designed to make him think that all is well until the back up arrived.
                        That is what is being done today. This incident happened back in 1991. Tactics and officer safety have come a long way since then.

Comment

That is what is being done today. This incident happened back in 1991. Tactics and officer safety have come a long way since then.
                          Point well taken.
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Self defence.

Put yourself in a position where you can defend yourself safely, That means standing side on to avoid being kicked in the groin.Also there's nothing wrong with approaching and questioning a suspect from a distance,say 15 metres.Watching the persons hands, feet and facial features will also give you a good indication of what's about to happen.I have worked in a psyciatric ward for about three years and have been working in security for 20 years, i have seen all sorts of behaviour.Remember if you don't feel safe call backup,don't hesitate.
                            We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X