How should we handle false accusations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1stWatch
    There were other employers that prohibited things like body armor vests and cell phones. What a retarded concept.
    Tell me about it. I was talking to some security guards on a private university campus. I was asking them why they were allowed to wear, uniforms, OC, and drive their security car around, but they couldn't wear vests. They said the director of the school doesnt want it to appear unsafe. Im thinking, you know, when you knock on the door of a noisy dorm and you are killed by a bullet to the chest... then your campus is going to be deemed unsafe.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

And then they will be required to provide vests for every employee. But the moment one employee starts wearing a vest, it gives grounds for OSHA to deem it an "occupational hazard" to be shot at, and may require it as personal protective equipment.

"is that recorder on right now?" is an interesting question. Sounds less like they were afraid of being sued for "illegal recording," and more afraid that you were using it to cover your ass - and they knew that you might be covering your ass while speaking with them.

"No cell phones" sounds like the "Your on my time, not your own, get off your damn cell phone." In other words, they fear you'll be on the cell phone all night and not doing your job.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        And then they will be required to provide vests for every employee. But the moment one employee starts wearing a vest, it gives grounds for OSHA to deem it an "occupational hazard" to be shot at, and may require it as personal protective equipment.

"is that recorder on right now?" is an interesting question. Sounds less like they were afraid of being sued for "illegal recording," and more afraid that you were using it to cover your ass - and they knew that you might be covering your ass while speaking with them.

"No cell phones" sounds like the "Your on my time, not your own, get off your damn cell phone." In other words, they fear you'll be on the cell phone all night and not doing your job.
        That issue about not wearing vests sounds like hogwash. People I work with wear vests all the time and the company is not required to furnish them. Not everybody wears them and those who do sometimes don't wear them. There have been no liability factors whatsoever I have seen in the past decade. It has, however, saved the life of at least one person I know.

+1 on the purpose of being scared of the recorder

In my experience, some employers didn't want officers carrying cell phones because they wanted the officer to have to answer to the dispatcher over the radio and not use his cell phone to call for the police if needed. This was part of the control freak form of management where a supervisor, or worse yet an untrained dispatcher, who were not at the scene had the discretion about whether or not police would be called. This idea built up fear within the ranks that if they were not subservient and goober enough they could not get the police to come out. They were right. I have seen a lot of corruption in dispatching operations.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
          ..... Here in S0oCal you need to pay a minimum of $12.00 per hour to get a guard of decent quality.....
          I agree 100% with the 12.00 hourly rate. $10.00 doesn't cut it here either.

..... By the way, the company bills me $19.00 per hour to pay the guard $10.
          So sad, but typical.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
            ... Some companies, especially small ones, are run by control freaks who think they control every move you make..
            Even the larger ones are guilty of micromanaging the unimportant matters and turning a blind eye to major problems. I had one company that made me remove a collar pin that said "SECURITY," but could care less about the numerous safety violations at the site. They 'talk a good game,' but fail to perform.
            Last edited by Mr. Security; 03-20-2006, 06:15 PM. Reason: Incomplete post.

Comment

As a general rule, I just do my job and focus on my performance. Everything else is garbage. Everything.

I also do not take complaints of other officers seriously. When someone calls in a complaint or wants to get a call back from the supervisor either

1. If over the phone, I do not take note of the complaint.
              2. If complainant is in person, I write a few things down then toss it when they walk off.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
                .... I also do not take complaints of other officers seriously. When someone calls in a complaint or wants to get a call back from the supervisor either

2. If complainant is in person, I write a few things down then toss it when they walk off.
                Why not? Can you give us an example of a complaint that you would ignore?

Comment

As a general rule, I just do my job and focus on my performance. Everything else is garbage. Everything.

I also do not take complaints of other officers seriously. When someone calls in a complaint or wants to get a call back from the supervisor either

I've said it before and I will say it again. Mayor, you are a credit to the security industry and the human race. You must be the pride of your mall. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I do not work at a mall but I will be sure to keep up the good work.

Comment

Hello Mr. Security. Hope all is well with you.

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      Why not? Can you give us an example of a complaint that you would ignore?
                      Complaints that I ignore.
                      1. "Officer is in the wrong" because he/she enforced policy ie: (no minors loitering after 11 PM, warning homeowner against letting there dog(s) onto the streets unattended, warning homeowner/homeowner's child of loud noise coming from party, warning minors parked in secluded area in cars not allowed,etc . I ignore these because they come a dime a dozen. Daddy lives in a $2.5 million home and its never his kids fault...but always the security/whoever else's fault. Or mommy is a real looker and got in with a rich guy and it is never her kids fault. Or some rendition of the above.

Complaints that I would take notice of and get supervisor.
                      1. Any legitimate complaint involving conduct of an officer/any employee.

Comment

1. "Officer is in the wrong" because he/she enforced policy ie: (no minors loitering after 11 PM, warning homeowner against letting there dog(s) onto the streets unattended, warning homeowner/homeowner's child of loud noise coming from party, warning minors parked in secluded area in cars not allowed,etc . I ignore these because they come a dime a dozen. Daddy lives in a $2.5 million home and its never his kids fault...but always the security/whoever else's fault. Or mommy is a real looker and got in with a rich guy and it is never her kids fault. Or some rendition of the above.

OK. I misunderstood what you meant. You ignore unfounded complaints from homeowners initiated because the officer is just doing his job. That's the kind of support I need from my managers. Thanks!

Comment

In these examples, I can completely agree. Wait for some form of legal action, or the registered mail complaint....of which I have yet to ever get.

Comment

Not a problem I got your backs, and yes histfan I sincerley do consider myself to be a credit to the industry. I do my job with pride, no complaints here.

Comment

Not a problem I got your backs, and yes histfan I sincerley do consider myself to be a credit to the industry. I do my job with pride, no complaints here.
                              So long as you are not ignoring legitimate complaints, then I am OK with round-filing the others.

Comment

So long as you are not ignoring legitimate complaints, then I am OK with round-filing the others.
                                In some form or fashion, make an entry into the log just in case something does happen or supervision gets a snit.
                                Enjoy the day,
                                Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X