No announcement yet.

How should we handle false accusations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should we handle false accusations?

As Jake's experience demonstrates, people will sometimes falsely accuse us of improper conduct/enforcement action when handling trespassing issues. What do you recommend as a solution when this occurs and the security company is more interested in protecting themselves instead of backing their officers?

Carrying a recorder or having a video camera may not always be practical. What then? Get a lawyer and fight it or cut your losses and find another security job?
    Last edited by Mr. Security; 03-18-2006, 02:42 PM. Reason: Incomplete post, again!
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

I just found a new job. A place like that is not a place you want to be at anyway IMO.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Any other ideas? It's no fun starting over again.

Comment

What about just monitoring the trespasser, jot down the plate, and take no action unless the situation gets serious?

Comment

I always make contact with the trespassers.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

False complaints are an unfortunate part of this industry. If you are unable to carry recording gear try to have an independent witness. If there are no witnesses it will be your word aganist theirs and we all know what a security guard's word is worth to the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
              False complaints are an unfortunate part of this industry. If you are unable to carry recording gear try to have an independent witness. If there are no witnesses it will be your word aganist theirs and we all know what a security guard's word is worth to the general public.
              The security guard's word is worth even less at some security companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                The security guard's word is worth even less at some security companies.
                That is why it is so important to have a written report in your log or on whatever stationery you are provided.
                I don't fault some guards. They do not have a basic understanding of the language. What they do know about it, according to one of my academy instructors, "could be printed with a grease pencil on the back of a matchbook cover."
                For those of us who have developed good language skills, we should consider it a blessing.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

What about just monitoring the trespasser, jot down the plate, and take no action unless the situation gets serious?
                  This is not, then, trespassing, as no agent of the owner has informed the trespasser that they are, in fact, not welcome on the property.

That's one of the purposes of a security officer, to act as agent of the owner and formally advise persons that their presence is not wanted.

Also, there is a liability issue of just monitoring the trespasser, as you are contracted to protect the property. Any damage the cause could be turned around and pinned on you for failing to take action upon detection.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

What baffles me about some of these WBS companies is that they retain guards who have been caught sleeping several times, show up late or not at all, fail to wear the proper uniform, carry a personal firearm to an unarmed site, are plain lazy and generally unprofessional/incompetent. Then, when they have someone who cares and tries to enforce the post orders, they give them flak for the complaints they receive from the individuals who are guilty of client policy violations.

It's almost as if they WANT you to be blob who shows up and doesn't want to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      This is not, then, trespassing, as no agent of the owner has informed the trespasser that they are, in fact, not welcome on the property.

That's one of the purposes of a security officer, to act as agent of the owner and formally advise persons that their presence is not wanted.

Also, there is a liability issue of just monitoring the trespasser, as you are contracted to protect the property. Any damage the cause could be turned around and pinned on you for failing to take action upon detection.
                      That's what I believe to. Sadly, I'm not sure I have my company's backing, even though advising them to leave is stated in my post orders. Catch 22.

Comment

What baffles me about some of these WBS companies is that they retain guards who have been caught sleeping several times, show up late or not at all, fail to wear the proper uniform, carry a personal firearm to an unarmed site, are plain lazy and generally unprofessional/incompetent. Then, when they have someone who cares and tries to enforce the post orders, they give them flak for the complaints they receive from the individuals who are guilty of client policy violations.

It's almost as if they WANT you to be blob who shows up and doesn't want to do anything.
                        They do. Its easier to replace you for incompetence than to defend you for incurring liability.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

They do. Its easier to replace you for incompetence than to defend you for incurring liability.
                          You know, you're right. I'm not going to push myself to excel when it's not appreciated. It's just not worth it.

Comment

This may be true in your state but here in WA ignorance is not an excuse. You are considered trespassing whether or not anyone informs you of such.

Comment

You know, you're right. I'm not going to push myself to excel when it's not appreciated. It's just not worth it.
                              The only thing agressive, proactive, preventative security work gets you these days is an appointment at the unemployment office.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X