Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security to Law Enforcement

Hi All,

Haven't been posting much on these boards lately. It's been a very busy past couple of months for me. I just wanted to stop by and say that I'll be leaving my security job soon to pursue a career in law enforcement. I received my DHL on Monday and have been accepted into the NY/NJ Port Authority. I know, I know... Nothing too fancy, but it's really not that bad. I like the fact that I'll be cross-trained as an aircraft rescue firefighter, EMT and police officer... kind of like what security officers are or at least should be. Also, the pay isn't that bad, either. 37k while in the academy, then 50k after graduation. I'm told it goes up to 90k after five years and that doesn't include differentials or overtime, which is unlimited. I don't know, maybe I'll transfer to a different department down the road, or even get back into security. But for right now, this seems like the right career move. Anyway, I start the academy October 13th, so I put in my two week notice on Wednesday. I plan on sticking around on this forum for a while, but I'll probably also sign up on Officer.com, too (not sure if anyone also has an account over there?) Also, as a future LEO, I am really looking forward to working with other security officers now that I know what it's like to walk in their shoes (both literally and figuratively.) Don't worry, I won't ever let myself forget where I came from.

All the best,
    Erik

111th PAPD Class
    Last edited by Security; 10-04-2008, 12:47 AM.
    111th PAPD Class
    Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Sounds great. Good luck to you.

Comment

Congrats ERik.
      That reminds me what ever happend to mall director . He became a cop, then forgot about us.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

We all wish you the very best.
        Remember these as you transition into the public arena:
        As a LEO you are an armed social worker.
        Remember the 21-foot rule.
        Keep fresh in your mind the "Ten Commandments of Security and Law Enforcement."
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Nice, very nice.

Very cool, indeed.

I started out in security also, then later got into law enforcement full time (23+ years), honorably retired, then got back into security.

I see the above format as a good way to live (and work) a lifetime.
          Law enforcement is a GREAT field to be in, and if you can hang in there for the long term, most agencies (at least in California) let you retire at 50 to 55 years old, with a nice pension. You can then go back to work (if you WANT to ) and have a good time, as you will possibly have all the money you need coming in from your pension.

So GOOD LUCK to you in your new, and very honorable field of work.

Comment

Congrats and GOOD LUCK!!! --K.
            Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

Congrats and Best of Luck....

BTW, Where the Heck is Mall Director.....?
              ~Super Ninja Sniper~
              Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Good Luck man.

Comment

Good luck man!!! I wish you the best

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words! I just picked up a bunch of stuff from my local cop shop today that is required for the academy (new boots, sweats, gray t-shirts, 8-point cap, etc.) I never would have imagined I'd be doing this, but it sure is exciting! Let's hope I feel the same way after I start the police academy - lol.
                    111th PAPD Class
                    Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X