Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need input on a situation ("false arrest")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Jake, it sounds like you were not using your vehicles to block her in so in my opinion this woman doesn
    Last edited by histfan71; 03-15-2006, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a good interview. First Watch had a good suggestion. If she comes back, call the police and if she wants a copy of the report she can ask for it at her initial hearing.
      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
      -Lieutenant Commander Data
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
        Sounds like a good interview. First Watch had a good suggestion. If she comes back, call the police and if she wants a copy of the report she can ask for it at her initial hearing.
        I love that one. "I want a copy of your report."

Reply: Case number is on the back of my business card. You can call my office, but we are not a police department and have no legal reason to give you one, as its confidential between my client and my agency.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

In Washington, holding onto someone's ID has been found to be a detainment because while their ID is in your hands, they are no longer free to leave the area. Because they arent going to leave without their ID. Even though it may be a situation that you could say, "Hey, can I have my ID back?" and the officer/guard would just turn it over, that means slim to nil. I had that same issue before where I took a guy's ID who had decided to use our property's park to get drunk, and use as his bathroom. My company (on my sig) said it was an illegal detention and I was going to go to jail and get sued. Especially if you remove the ID from the person's view, i.e. taking it to your car, having your partner walk off with it, etc... you are definately looking at a "detainment" in Washington State.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
            In Washington, holding onto someone's ID has been found to be a detainment because while their ID is in your hands, they are no longer free to leave the area. Because they arent going to leave without their ID. Even though it may be a situation that you could say, "Hey, can I have my ID back?" and the officer/guard would just turn it over, that means slim to nil. I had that same issue before where I took a guy's ID who had decided to use our property's park to get drunk, and use as his bathroom. My company (on my sig) said it was an illegal detention and I was going to go to jail and get sued. Especially if you remove the ID from the person's view, i.e. taking it to your car, having your partner walk off with it, etc... you are definately looking at a "detainment" in Washington State.
            That concept's weird to me. In Florida, it is never "your" ID. It is the State of Florida's ID.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              That concept's weird to me. In Florida, it is never "your" ID. It is the State of Florida's ID.
              Same here. A DL and state issued ID's are subject to government control.
              Last edited by Tennsix; 03-16-2006, 02:07 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

here we have the right to know who is on the premises at any time so we can ask to see id .they can say no then we say please leave unless they have done something wrong then we can arrest and hold till the police come or we dearrest.

Comment

The concept of "dearrest" or "unarrest" is a very bad idea, even for the police. That policy is a law suit ready ready to happen, even if you have good PC on the suspect.
                  sigpic

Comment

here in WA, as far as I know/believe, the ID card is yours. I do not know any law that says the state can take it back. They may revoke its powers, suspend any licensing, certification, etc... that is under the state's control (I.E. Driving, CDL, Security, etc...) but I think that plastic card belongs to you. Also, like I think Ledgerwood pointed out... in WA, it is stated a detainment is when any reasonable person would feel they do not have the freedom to leave the area/situation. It is common knowledge that most reasonable people would not just leave without an ID card they handed over. (Not to say it doesnt happen. Ive had someone hand me their ID and walk off, I even had a State Trooper chase him down on a bicycle to return it and the guy insisted he didnt want it anymore. )

As a side note, remember, Security are not police, they may not have the authority of the government to control the ID as the police do.
                    Last edited by Lawson; 03-16-2006, 12:19 PM.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                      The concept of "dearrest" or "unarrest" is a very bad idea, even for the police. That policy is a law suit ready ready to happen, even if you have good PC on the suspect.
                      The concept of unarrest scares the hell out of me.

Comment

Well things have spun out real quick. I was served with a Notice of Allegation this morning. They have not spoken with the other officer yet, or the woman involved. I spoke with my union rep. who is willing to go to bat for me, but I see now that I can't make this job work for much longer. I am not suspended, but the final determination of action will be served in the next 48 hours.

If anyone here in WA knows of a company that is hiring, please let me know and I will submit a resume. I would really appreciate anything.
                        Liability is never above officer safety. Do what you must to make sure you go home safe.

William-2, 10-6 for 105. Yep, I'm at Starbucks!

I may be gay, but I'll eff you up!

Personal Web Site

Cheap, Quality Web Design! Put a great cop on the beat by helping with my tuition! :-D

Comment

what pay rate are you looking for?
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslife
                            Well things have spun out real quick. I was served with a Notice of Allegation this morning. They have not spoken with the other officer yet, or the woman involved. I spoke with my union rep. who is willing to go to bat for me, but I see now that I can't make this job work for much longer. I am not suspended, but the final determination of action will be served in the next 48 hours.

If anyone here in WA knows of a company that is hiring, please let me know and I will submit a resume. I would really appreciate anything.
                            I have to ask, what's a "Notice of Allegation?" I take it that your state is not "at-will" and they have to serve you with a formal reason before terminating you, and have a "hearing" and all that, with the union rep present?

Comment

I dont know what that notice is, but I have never worked for some place in WA that is not "at-will." I am pretty sure most, if not all places are.
                              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslife

What a bunch of crap! That company you're with is definitely not worth working for. They hung you out to dry. This tells me again what I've thought for a long time: beware of the general public because they will try to destroy you.
                                "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X