Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wackenhut

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Just got hired for c.p.o.

    Hey guys, I just got hired for and will start c.p.o. training next week, can anyone here tell me if the c.p.o. program is all that they say it is? For example they told me that it is a verry hard program to get into and that you should consider yourself lucky to be a part of. Second question, they told me they would be providing me my own duty gear but I usually prefer to buy my own being that I know it is new and not worn do you guys know if they get you new gear or old worn out junk?

    Comment


    • #47
      Yes you have to use their gear unless you have the hi gloss leather gear already. The gear is very good condition if not new. Mine has a few scratches so they will order new stuff for you if you need it. I hate the way the duty belt fastens on ours so I am looking for a HiGloss belt with gold buckle with the traditional clench instead of the huge one we have.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by dpwilliamosn
        Hey guys, I just got hired for and will start c.p.o. training next week, can anyone here tell me if the c.p.o. program is all that they say it is? For example they told me that it is a verry hard program to get into and that you should consider yourself lucky to be a part of. Second question, they told me they would be providing me my own duty gear but I usually prefer to buy my own being that I know it is new and not worn do you guys know if they get you new gear or old worn out junk?
        I don't know if this is the standard for Wackenhut everywhere, but when I worked for them for a month back in 2000, I saw what was being covered in the training class and it seemed lacking in a lot of areas. The penal code was also misquoted a lot. That may have been due to the instructor though. They created a false sense of authority with those who completed the c.p.o. program, making them believe they had more legal authority than other security guards. The only equipment they could carry was a company issued .38 revolver and a duty belt. No handcuffs, no baton or club, no pepper spray, and no vest. The state trooper academy is a hard program. This was - uh well - it's probably best if you make your own determination.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

        Comment


        • #49
          Here you are issued your weapon and holster, 2 speedloaders and holder, and handcuffs and case. Oh, and 18 rounds of ammo. Vests are encouraged if you have them and the course was taught by a retired police officer and the criminal code was covered in detail. And we were constantly reminded that arrest was the police dept job unless it was absolutely endangering others.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by medic15al
            Here you are issued your weapon and holster, 2 speedloaders and holder, and handcuffs and case. Oh, and 18 rounds of ammo. Vests are encouraged if you have them and the course was taught by a retired police officer and the criminal code was covered in detail. And we were constantly reminded that arrest was the police dept job unless it was absolutely endangering others.
            I wonder when they will issue semi-automatic pistols to their officers instead of the .38 revolver. There should be weapons with the same capacity as what the common bad guy carries with a higher capacity in my opinion. Also, they should allow their officers to be certified and carry oc spray and batons.
            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

            Comment


            • #51
              I agree. I think the main reason is that some states that have Wackenhut operations require by law that security be limited to .38 caliber revolvers and NJ in particular requres non-expanding ammo to be legal. The concept of one to cover all I think.

              I cannot find anything in our policy limiting us to FMJ or LRN in our .38s. I want to carry the 158grn. lead hollowpoint+P but for now use the issue LRN or FMJ.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by medic15al
                I agree. I think the main reason is that some states that have Wackenhut operations require by law that security be limited to .38 caliber revolvers and NJ in particular requres non-expanding ammo to be legal. The concept of one to cover all I think.

                I cannot find anything in our policy limiting us to FMJ or LRN in our .38s. I want to carry the 158grn. lead hollowpoint+P but for now use the issue LRN or FMJ.
                That's funny. Unless carrying a 9mm, Florida prohibits the use of FMJ ammunition in a guard's .38 caliber or .357 magnum revolver.

                To put it simply: .38 is ancient, the guns are cheap, FMJ ammo is cheap, and there's a body of case law stretching 100 years + for the revolver.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

                "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                Comment


                • #53
                  As far as duty gear goes for the C.P.O. I take it you guys wear glossy black, now do you have to wear glossy black shoes and if so does the company provide them or are you to go out and get your own?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Normally, yes we do have to wear Gloss black shoes, although there are some posts that do not require them. We are responsible for shoes and nametags, everything else is issued. Here there is a shoe store here that sells them for $20 a pair and not many CPOs complain about the comfort. I ordered the Gloss boots from Galls and they are worth the $89 dollars I paid for them!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      We are paid to keep a high profile, and the amount I'm paid will let me rest comfortably even if I wear a pink tu-tu.

                      High profile is one of Wackenhut's selling points.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        That's funny. Unless carrying a 9mm, Florida prohibits the use of FMJ ammunition in a guard's .38 caliber or .357 magnum revolver.

                        To put it simply: .38 is ancient, the guns are cheap, FMJ ammo is cheap, and there's a body of case law stretching 100 years + for the revolver.
                        I own a .357 Ruger. I love that weapon. The only complaints I have about it are it is too heavy to tote around comfortably during a building sweep and it doesn't hold more ammunition.
                        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by medic15al
                          Normally, yes we do have to wear Gloss black shoes, although there are some posts that do not require them. We are responsible for shoes and nametags, everything else is issued. Here there is a shoe store here that sells them for $20 a pair and not many CPOs complain about the comfort. I ordered the Gloss boots from Galls and they are worth the $89 dollars I paid for them!
                          Gloss black looks really sharp. Wear it with pride, polish it every day, and keep up the good work.
                          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by 1stWatch
                            Gloss black looks really sharp. Wear it with pride, polish it every day, and keep up the good work.
                            +1 to this. I agree. High Gloss looks very good. If Clients want a low profile they would tell this to TWC. Wackenhut is willing to put officers out in civi's if State Law permits it and the client wants that.
                            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                            "The Curve" 1998

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I've never seen Wackenhut do anything low profile in uniform. They're selling the brand, as well as using it to observe areas.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

                              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                                All I'm saying is you're a target walking around with all that hi-gloss shiny junk on.

                                As far as your pay, don't flatter yourself. What are you making, $4 more an hour than a regular Wackenhut guard?

                                No, I am making $22.55 an hour. Very high pay in AL.

                                Don't flatter yourself as a EMT-Firefighter. You're not hot stuff because you are a EMT who drags hoses once in a while. I've done it for 15 years and nobody is special because of it. Quit being a asshat once in a while.

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X