X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pepper spray percentage vs heat level

[b]Are All Pepper Sprays the Same?

No, all pepper sprays are not the same.

Pepper sprays are rated in two ways: Percentage of Oleoresin Capsicum in the agent itself, and the
    Last edited by bigdog; 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Hey there. Not sure if this post was supposed to be a question, or what... But I'll toss in my .02, since I took the time to go through the OC instructor's course a while back...

No, all OC is not the same... When you're looking to purchase OC, you need to consider both the heat measurement and the percentage... I won't go into the whole details about what they mean and why, but I'll give a brief rundown...

The heat units (Scoville) determine the initial strength (stopping power) of the mixture... The higher the heat units, the stronger the effect is going to be on the victim... I HIGHLY recommend getting OC that has a SVU of at LEAST 2 million... If not, your OC probably won't be quite as effective as you might like...

The percentage of the mixture is going to affect how long the effect lasts on the person... A 5% mixture is going to last from about 45 mins to 90.... Whereas a 15% mix is going to be hurtin the person for the rest of the day... (The initial closing of the eyes, runny nose, etc will still last the normal hour or so, but the burning sensation and irritation of the skin will stay)

For the sake of protecting yourself, but not opening yourself/company to liability for the good ol' "Cruel & Unusual Punishment", it's best to get OC that has a high heat rating, but low percentage... Personally, I am a firm supporter and stand firmly behind my Punch II OC.... 2.5 million heat units, in a 5% mix.... So it hits hard, burns bad, but goes away after about an hour...

Hope this helps!
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

STUPID COMPUTER wouldnt let me post the whole message
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
        STUPID COMPUTER wouldnt let me post the whole message
        Whenever someone blamed the computer, our IT administrator would always say: "It's the nut behind the wheel."
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
          Hey there. Not sure if this post was supposed to be a question, or what... But I'll toss in my .02, since I took the time to go through the OC instructor's course a while back...

No, all OC is not the same... When you're looking to purchase OC, you need to consider both the heat measurement and the percentage... I won't go into the whole details about what they mean and why, but I'll give a brief rundown...

The heat units (Scoville) determine the initial strength (stopping power) of the mixture... The higher the heat units, the stronger the effect is going to be on the victim... I HIGHLY recommend getting OC that has a SVU of at LEAST 2 million... If not, your OC probably won't be quite as effective as you might like...

The percentage of the mixture is going to affect how long the effect lasts on the person... A 5% mixture is going to last from about 45 mins to 90.... Whereas a 15% mix is going to be hurtin the person for the rest of the day... (The initial closing of the eyes, runny nose, etc will still last the normal hour or so, but the burning sensation and irritation of the skin will stay)

For the sake of protecting yourself, but not opening yourself/company to liability for the good ol' "Cruel & Unusual Punishment", it's best to get OC that has a high heat rating, but low percentage... Personally, I am a firm supporter and stand firmly behind my Punch II OC.... 2.5 million heat units, in a 5% mix.... So it hits hard, burns bad, but goes away after about an hour...

Hope this helps!
          It does indeed. Great job explaining it all. Thanks!
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X