Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING NEWS: SIW forum member and security guard spams General Discussions Area!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as someone who has started a couple of similar posts I sort of wish we had a plce in the Forums titled "Security in the News" or something similar but since we don't, I don't mind seeing the stuff posted in General discussion where we can all read and comment.
    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
      Well, as someone who has started a couple of similar posts I sort of wish we had a plce in the Forums titled "Security in the News" or something similar but since we don't, I don't mind seeing the stuff posted in General discussion where we can all read and comment.
      Yeah, I agree with the new section, that would be helpful.

It's all well and good to have a few stories...but it seems excessive. But that's just one man's opinion.
      10-8

Comment

i work too much so this is the only way i find out about this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
          .... I sort of wish we had a place in the forums titled "Security in the News"
          I like your idea. I second that. However, in all fairness to 1stWatch, he does add some excellent conversation starters with his posts. After all, you can only beat a thread for so long.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I like the idea of a separate section for such things. Spamming? I think not. You, sir, appear to have a problem.
            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

1stwatch,
              I'm just amazed at how many stories you find on a regular basis with the links to the stories included. I sometimes stumble across one while reading the paper and then have to Google it to find a link but sometimes the info is hard to come by. In the past I've resorted to scanning in the article and posting it as a photo, as I recently did for a post in the LODD forum.
              While some of the stories may not have painted private security in the best light (guards shooting friends, getting arrested, etc) you've posted some with pretty good views of us (guards stopping robbers, saving lives). I say keep it up and if the Forum moderators ever decide to create a "Security News" section your posts can be moved there.

Steve
              EMT/Security Officer
              Louisiana
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Most of it is found simply by going to Google or Yahoo news and typing "security guard" in the search engine. Think of this, however. Before I started posting articles and threads which were about things I feel strongly about, this place was pretty dead. There was only one discussions area and hardly anything was being posted about what really goes on out there. Detractors were even starting to dominate the board from what I could tell. One guy was talking about how superior he felt just because he was in college to try to become police and was telling the rest of us to "get real jobs". Now, several months later, there is an abundance of people on this forum who have been in the business a long time, are proud of what they do, and some are even from overseas. Maybe that's because they figure somebody actually gives a hoot. That, to me, is a good thing.

Nevertheless - if the general consensus is that posting a whole bunch of ads is annoying, just say so generally and I will stop it..
                "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

This reminds me of the Bodie detractors on O.com, who yell cries of, "Your making us look bad, Bodie! Stop with the bad cop posts!"

To which, Bodie replied, "Its not me that makes us look bad, its these guys."

I don't really consider it spam. A seperate section would be nice. If you want one, use the "Contact Us" on the bottom, or PM SIWEditor.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                    Most of it is found simply by going to Google or Yahoo news and typing "security guard" in the search engine. Think of this, however. Before I started posting articles and threads which were about things I feel strongly about, this place was pretty dead. There was only one discussions area and hardly anything was being posted about what really goes on out there. Detractors were even starting to dominate the board from what I could tell. One guy was talking about how superior he felt just because he was in college to try to become police and was telling the rest of us to "get real jobs". Now, several months later, there is an abundance of people on this forum who have been in the business a long time, are proud of what they do, and some are even from overseas. Maybe that's because they figure somebody actually gives a hoot. That, to me, is a good thing.

Nevertheless - if the general consensus is that posting a whole bunch of ads is annoying, just say so generally and I will stop it..
                    It was really meant more as a joke. I don't mean to offend at all. I just came on to the forum the other night and looked at the topics and it was news article after news article all started by you and most of them had 0 or maybe 1 reply. Obviously it's not spam, I was just reacting to the huge number of threads. It's so many that I for one couldn't begin to look at all of them, kind of like spam.

But anyway, the only problem I have with posting forty bazillion articles at once is that it pushes the topics that actually receive replies to the abyss of page 2. Often times articles will spur discussion, which is a good thing, but usually they don't. But if everyone is cool with a spray and pray method, then that is all right with me.
                    10-8

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyhat
                      Hey 1stWatch.
                      I like catching up on the business with your articles, and use many of them for talking-points in my class. Keep up the good work.
                      That is why this forum can be of such importance. We learn from each other and put that learned information to good use elsewhere.
                      Good job everyone, home and tea.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

One way these posts help us is to learn from mistakes others have made.
                        It is better to evaluate their actions and then adjust our own so as not to repeat them.

Sure some of the things are just stupidity in action but some are also showing how people react to situations in the heat of the moment.

What you encounter at that time doesn't always translate well to others.
                        The "reckless endangerment" or "wrongful death" that others see in hindsight might just be your "fighting for your life after being dazed from the attack".

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Sounds like the articles are wanted by general consensus. Thanks all.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X