Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren
    replied
    The size of the company, and the size of the advertising budget doesn't necessarily show the quality of the company.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Actually being in Montreal I have watched Garda grow a lot over the past few years. It was the BEST contract security company in Montreal a few years ago. I don't know if things went bad or why but they have seemed to have lost a lot of high profile accounts recently. They used to have the contracts for McGill & Concordia Universities but don't anymore.

They're in the news a lot lately. Always on the business page. They are really expanding. They just about took over the amoured car services here in Montreal when they took over most of Brinks & Loomis.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren
    Between these guys and Impact Security Group (out west here in Canada), security will continue to have a poor reputation.

These companies often hire the lamest people for positions, doing the minimum checks required, pay them a little over minimum wage, and cut the prices so low that good companies can't compete.

This is NOT a good thing. (the sale)
    These are standard tactics.

Take a look at the "standards" for Group 4 Securcorp's Wackenhut division. "1 year security experience," or "MP/LE Experience or security experience" for their "armed" CPO(tm) position.

A favorite tactic of most "high level" contractors is to start the account out with a retired cop who is very high speed. You use them for 2 weeks to a month. Then, they are rotated to the next new client, and you work your way down to a 1 year experience guard at 6.00 an hour. Now, the contract noted that the guards pay was up to the security company. The pre-bid proposal said 14.75 for LE experienced officers.

Of course, well, the less you pay the guard, the more profit you generate.

As far as underbidding, I have two darlings in my area who are getting raped by Securitas. They play the unarmed, untrained, semi-uniformed (Shirt w/ patch, usually jeans) observer game. Securitas is King of the UUU Observer game, and can underbid contracts accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• Warren
    replied
    Between these guys and Impact Security Group (out west here in Canada), security will continue to have a poor reputation.

These companies often hire the lamest people for positions, doing the minimum checks required, pay them a little over minimum wage, and cut the prices so low that good companies can't compete.

This is NOT a good thing. (the sale)

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    started a topic Canada Based Co Buys Out Initial Security

Canada Based Co Buys Out Initial Security

Montreal, Canada:
    A Canada based firm called Garda World Security has bought out one of its rivals, Rentokil Initial Canada. The acquired operation was better known as Inital Security, a unit of Britain's Rentokil Inital company.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...0.html?ref=rss

Funny thing, Inital is a large company in my area. I seem to remember them buying out Stanley Smith security in the early 1990's.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X