Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Based Co Buys Out Initial Security

Montreal, Canada:
    A Canada based firm called Garda World Security has bought out one of its rivals, Rentokil Initial Canada. The acquired operation was better known as Inital Security, a unit of Britain's Rentokil Inital company.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...0.html?ref=rss

Funny thing, Inital is a large company in my area. I seem to remember them buying out Stanley Smith security in the early 1990's.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Between these guys and Impact Security Group (out west here in Canada), security will continue to have a poor reputation.

These companies often hire the lamest people for positions, doing the minimum checks required, pay them a little over minimum wage, and cut the prices so low that good companies can't compete.

This is NOT a good thing. (the sale)

Comment

Originally posted by Warren
      Between these guys and Impact Security Group (out west here in Canada), security will continue to have a poor reputation.

These companies often hire the lamest people for positions, doing the minimum checks required, pay them a little over minimum wage, and cut the prices so low that good companies can't compete.

This is NOT a good thing. (the sale)
      These are standard tactics.

Take a look at the "standards" for Group 4 Securcorp's Wackenhut division. "1 year security experience," or "MP/LE Experience or security experience" for their "armed" CPO(tm) position.

A favorite tactic of most "high level" contractors is to start the account out with a retired cop who is very high speed. You use them for 2 weeks to a month. Then, they are rotated to the next new client, and you work your way down to a 1 year experience guard at 6.00 an hour. Now, the contract noted that the guards pay was up to the security company. The pre-bid proposal said 14.75 for LE experienced officers.

Of course, well, the less you pay the guard, the more profit you generate.

As far as underbidding, I have two darlings in my area who are getting raped by Securitas. They play the unarmed, untrained, semi-uniformed (Shirt w/ patch, usually jeans) observer game. Securitas is King of the UUU Observer game, and can underbid contracts accordingly.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Actually being in Montreal I have watched Garda grow a lot over the past few years. It was the BEST contract security company in Montreal a few years ago. I don't know if things went bad or why but they have seemed to have lost a lot of high profile accounts recently. They used to have the contracts for McGill & Concordia Universities but don't anymore.

They're in the news a lot lately. Always on the business page. They are really expanding. They just about took over the amoured car services here in Montreal when they took over most of Brinks & Loomis.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

The size of the company, and the size of the advertising budget doesn't necessarily show the quality of the company.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X