You're great, but here's your pink slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're great, but here's your pink slip

1stWatch uses the signature "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

This made me remember something that a manager of a company (about 300 employees) and her security chief both said to me: "You're the best investigator we've ever had, but we have to let you go."

I wonder what other stupid, nonsensical things employers have said to you either on termination or some other time, like for discipline.

For example, I once had a company owner tell me "Don't do your job so well."
    Great.

BTW -That first company closed about a year later, was sold about 6 months after that, and has never been seen since.

wjohnc
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

I can't put it into any one phrase, but i could go on and on about this incompetant, idiotic, dense, as well as paranoid fool this company I was working for sent to take over after the best Area Manager that company ever had left to go on to bigger and better things.

Was with that company for almost 4 years, starting out as a Guard, working my way up to lower level management(shift watch commander). A lot of you may know the story already; about a snotty little witch of a guard, thinking I was picking on her, and when I try to get to the bottom of it, I get called in on the carpet and get my azz reamed out good! He was going to suspend me for a week without pay. Gee; I could never seem to get a day off, or take my vacation when I wanted to, because I couldn't be spared, but then they can just boot me out for a week? He basically made it sound like I was as expendable as toilet paper.

Told him to shove that job as far as he could someplace, and to use a jagged stick!! Wrote to the owner of the company, asking him if he was on three day drunks often?(j/k). Actually asked him where did he dig that idiot up?

Withing a month, that company lost 38 accounts to my new employer, and not long after that, fool and that snotty guard, whom I suspected was, and found out for sure was his own daughter, soon learned how expendable THEY were, and were sent packing!

A few years later, they had changed a lot of things, so I looked into going back to work there. I guess some things never changed; like a pompous Cavalry General, who wouldn't admit to losing a battle with the Indians if he stood there with an azz full of arrows! I told them they didn't have to worry about me ever bothering them again.

A lot of those office jocks need to spend a minimum amount of time out on the street, and see what it's really like out there. All they care about is facts, figures, and that almighty dollar. A lot of them have never even worn a uniform!
    Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

I wasn't told off by them, but I worked for an outfit like that for a year. I was guilty (whoops) of expanding the contract between the security company and the US Government - the Coast Guard believed we were there to protect them, and so did the guard force. The company, on the other hand, said we were there to observe the gate house and call the local police if there was a problem. Which is fine, except the police wouldn't GO to the air station - US government property. So, they called us onto the base at times.

There were two managers. One was an operations manager. He quit after having a heart attack, from what I understood, it was the stress of having a concience in this business. The second one was a sales manager, who had the nerve to order me to work on the day of a first member of my family's funeral.

I was 18, and faxed his ass a copy of FAMLA, with a note saying, "WHERE IS MY MONEY." They stopped paying half the firm, blamed ADP, and when you called ADP, you were told that the company hasn't PAID ADP for 6 months, and does their own accounting.

I bailed, obviously.

The sales manager was more concerned about liability and profit margin than to even learn the law. He routinely told employees that carrying anything, including a maglite, was illegal. "You have to be a police officer to carry those things. You can only carry this plastic flashlight."

A friend of mine was issued a .38 caliber revolver with the cylinder stuck - corroded. He shipped it off to Art Varnadore at the state. Shortly after, I understand that the friend was fined (fine suspended) for stealing the weapon, and the company was fined for issuing a non-functional weapon.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Security on Government Property

N.A., you bring up a good subject, security on government property.
        When the property is federal exclusive, the government alone is responsible for security and law enforcement. Today, for the most part, that has fallen by the wayside with the preponderance of properties now designated concurrent jurisdiction or the government having a proprietary interest.
        What doesn't come through the mix is what can be prosecuted and by whom. It does not matter whether it is a skyscraper or a pile of sand, the government has right of first prosecution.
        The locals don't have to come onto the property. In most instances, the government is less than cooperative and the locals, having been burned before, don't bother to prosecute.
        Section 13, Title 18, US Code, "Laws of States adopted for areas within Federal jurisdiction," can be used as a means of maintaining good order and discipline. Those cases accepted are tried in federal court by a Magistrate Judge.
        The problem has always been GSA appointing and training one or more people to issue magistrate judges' summons.
        The tenant can push GSA and it is possible. Military reservations have been using this system for years and it works rather well anything from speeding to grand theft.
        N.A., thanks again for mentioning this in post #2.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill
        Last edited by Bill Warnock; 03-11-2006, 09:44 PM. Reason: A good portion of the original post did not make it!

Comment

My Experience.

Originally posted by wjohnc
          1stWatch uses the signature "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

This made me remember something that a manager of a company (about 300 employees) and her security chief both said to me: "You're the best investigator we've ever had, but we have to let you go."

I wonder what other stupid, nonsensical things employers have said to you either on termination or some other time, like for discipline.
          My classic: We're going to have to let you go, but you're the best guard I've ever had.

Reason: I e-mailed my inspection report to my boss and cc the report to my wife's office computer (like I always did) because I didn't have access to a printer.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
            For example, I once had a company owner tell me "Don't do your job so well."
            Great.
            I have been told the same.

If you do your security job really well, people complain, thats why our bosses have talked to us.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
              I have been told the same.

If you do your security job really well, people complain, thats why our bosses have talked to us.
              That's for sure. "See, hear, speak no evil."

Comment

I have been let go from no less than four security positions because of nefarious politics.

The first one was back in 1998. Some job I had doing high-rise building security wearing a blazer and tie decided they didn't want me around because some tenant in the building had something very valuable stolen from them, but it was in a space I did not have access to and could not have known about. Nevertheless, the company sent me packing, no reason given. "This is at will employment. That is good enough."

Then came the one in 2002. Mall security. Don't even get me started about these people now. This was in an environment where we were to be polite and helpful to the public, but were expected to assist stores, including department store l.p., with stopping shoplifters and were expected to arrest for vehicle burglaries, assaults, disorderly conduct, and strong-armed robbery. A situation went down where a shoplifter decided to fight with the l.p. from Sears. I ended up pepper spraying the crap out of that guy, but it had little or no effect on him and he ended up driving away. Maybe the guy was on ether or something. Corporate reviewed the videotape of it and I was fired the next week. The rest of the crew wasn't really unhappy to see me go either, since I had been placed in charge of reviewing and critiquing their reports and they really didn't appreciate it when I marked where the grammatical errors were on the report. Most of these people wanted to be police officers, but they didn't have most basic skills to read and write the English language.

Then, the ones last year. A company I was a supervisor with first decided to fire me, but then changed their minds and just quadruple demoted me after I had an incident happen where I pulled out my can of o.c., didn't discharge it mind you, because a little dog was charging at my ankles suddenly and was going to take a bite out of my leg. The rich affluent owner didn't like it. I ended up on post and the company withheld my paperwork for commission requals. I ended up staying there a couple of months longer than I wanted because I had to go behind them and deal with Austin to get my renewal. I left immediately after getting it.

Later in the year, I was working for a company that works major apartment complexes in the area. The company was having some difficulties since their marketing efforts were not being used and they were holding on to non-paying contracts way too long. One of the guard contracts got dropped and I found myself out of a job. The excuse for firing, however, was that I had "poor performance". This was after some folks complained about receiving a curfew citation, which was in accordance with company policy. They used the lies these people said about the way I spoke to them as ammunition to get rid of me.

So, I got a job with a company that works an industrial area. They had a pretty good reputation for doing good work and knowing what they were doing. Right? Maybe not. Besides things that got on my nerves, such as unprofessional yackity-yack radio traffic, they found it too much trouble to write reports on some pretty key things. The manager was a pretty hard control freak, as well. They didn't like it that I knew things about the job and the law, even when they asked. They decided to let me go after one week. Six days of time totally wasted.

So, I got the job I currently have. It's been pretty okay, aside from the median wage and long long hours, but now I find myself in discontent again after some things happened, just in the past week. Many companies embrace the illegal, immoral, and unethical when it suits their fancy and this one is no different.

I would dearly love to keep doing this sort of work since I enjoy it when things are run the way they are supposed to be, but right now it looks pretty bleak.
                "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                  So, I got the job I currently have. It's been pretty okay, aside from the median wage and long long hours, but now I find myself in discontent again after some things happened, just in the past week. Many companies embrace the illegal, immoral, and unethical when it suits their fancy and this one is no different.

I would dearly love to keep doing this sort of work since I enjoy it when things are run the way they are supposed to be, but right now it looks pretty bleak.
                  You sound like a very conscientious individual. Perhaps too conscientious? Your strength could become your weakness if you are unable to bridle it somewhat. I am extremely conscientious myself and, at times, it has come back to haunt me. I've learned to let go and realize that I can't control everything. If you discern that your supervisor(s) are not as diligent as you are, then the course of wisdom is to back off and go with the flow. I know it's difficult, but it gets easier with practice. You may be right about how things are supposed to be done, and it may even say so in your post orders. If you win the battle but lose the war, of what value is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    You sound like a very conscientious individual. Perhaps too conscientious? Your strength could become your weakness if you are unable to bridle it somewhat. I am extremely conscientious myself and, at times, it has come back to haunt me. I've learned to let go and realize that I can't control everything. If you discern that your supervisor(s) are not as diligent as you are, then the course of wisdom is to back off and go with the flow. I know it's difficult, but it gets easier with practice. You may be right about how things are supposed to be done, and it may even say so in your post orders. If you win the battle but lose the war, of what value is it?
                    The difference I had recently with them was not with their diligence, but with judgement. I have had to back off and go with the flow on every single job I've had. I turned down the supervisor position here because of that very thing. Nevertheless, pissing matches happen, especially when control freaks are in charge. Perhaps it will be ok when I go back to work. Hopefully.
                    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Hope so to.

Comment

The problem I have with most security companies (Around here anyway), is that they are soooo busy kissing the customers ass, they won't stand behind their guards.

I know one guy that was fired for getting involved in a situation while dropping a flashlight off to another guard, at another location. THe gist of the situation was that officer A, was working site A, and officer B was finishing a shift, dropping off the flashlight to officer A.

When officer B arrived to drop off the light, officer A was dealing with 3 teenagers at the front entrance of a mall.

To make this story a little shorter, Officer A was stabbed, officer B went to help officer A out, fighting with these three teens, knocking out two of them (head injuries) to save officer A. Officer B was fired for showing up at Officer A's site.

Apparantly, officer B was fired because of pressure from the mall, saying that the stabbing MAY not have occurred had there been no intimidation.

Another case of butt kissing to the customer, losing a good emplyee.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren
                          Another case of butt kissing to the customer, losing a good emplyee.
                          And how! This is a conflict of interest which is very similar to the conflict that auditing firms have with their clients. When a client practices questionable accounting methods, the auditing company has a dilemma. If they call the client on it, they risk losing the account. If they say nothing, it can come back to haunt them if the company goes 'belly-up.'

As a former accountant, I can tell you that many balance and income statements aren't worth the paper their printed on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            And how! This is a conflict of interest which is very similar to the conflict that auditing firms have with their clients. When a client practices questionable accounting methods, the auditing company has a dilemma. If they call the client on it, they risk losing the account. If they say nothing, it can come back to haunt them if the company goes 'belly-up.'

As a former accountant, I can tell you that many balance and income statements aren't worth the paper their printed on.
                            One word. Sarbane-Oxley.

There are reasons why laws like HIPPA and SarOx were passed. And still, the IT and corporate communities are screaming, "Where's our ROI on SarbOx compliance?!"

You don't GET ROI. You follow the law because jackasses like the board at Enron tried to make some cash destroying our economy. You want ROI? Then figure out the cheapest method of deploying the SarbOx controls required by law, and make sure they're done right, so your not expending capital redoing the efforts over and over again.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X