Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think This Is Grounds For Termination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Enforcer
    replied
    Originally posted by oathkeeper2013 View Post
    Oh snap, i didn't see the OPs original posting date lol. Soooo, what ever happened?? 😁
    Just got called into the office for a talking-to

Don't know if I was written up; didn't sign anything

I still work retail security, albeit armed, and nowadays if I come across a situation like that, I usually just get the manager & let them decide how 2 proceed

But people like that still give me a good chuckle (purse & beard lol)

Leave a comment:

• oathkeeper2013
    replied
    Oh snap, i didn't see the OPs original posting date lol. Soooo, what ever happened?? 😁

Leave a comment:

• oathkeeper2013
    replied
    Everyone has their own opinions on morality and what is right and what is wrong, however, you have to remember that this is the year 2021 and there isn't an employer out there in these United States that is going to let your actions fly. I'm not passing blame and I'm not pointing fingers... I'm just making a statement of fact. Now that you're employer has been made fully aware of what has happened and the circumstances behind it, if they retained you and something like this happened again they could be looking at a major lawsuit. There are all kinds of lawyers and special interest groups waiting to jump down some corporate entities throat for something like this. That being said, if you haven't been terminated already by the time you read this, my best guess is that you will be terminated shortly after. On the flip side, they could just reassign you to some sort of administrative position where you are not dealing with the public but that is doubtful. Best of luck.
    Last edited by oathkeeper2013; 02-27-2021, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeMama
    replied
    How did I miss this thread? LOL

Wowzers

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    Originally posted by SecureTN View Post
    I've been away awhile so this is continuing the resurrection here, but I'll respond to the original posting.

I would have terminated your employment immediately. While in an official capacity, you have no public personal opinions, anything you say can and will likely be considered the opinion of your employer and / or the client for which you are contracted to.

Your job is to represent those entities in a professional, unbiased fashion for the duration of your employment. You don't have to agree with everything you see, but you do have to treat everyone with respect. Whether you spoke poorly of them to their face or behind their back is immaterial.

I live and work in the south, and while change works slowly, most people are becoming more accepting that not everyone fits into the little box others try and place them in.
    I'm not & was not then a public official or commissioned law enforcement

This is actually one of the reasons why I never became a cop; that I have to regard some kind of deviant as an equal, deserving of protection - & treatment as if they were normal folks

I don't care if my opinion reflects that of my firm or their clients' - in fact it's a good reflection to make: that they apparently have some sanity left, lol

In fact ur the 1 being biased if u terminate me because my stated opinion comes from strongly held religious beliefs, which in turn shape & mold my values

Leave a comment:

• SecureTN
    replied
    I've been away awhile so this is continuing the resurrection here, but I'll respond to the original posting.

I would have terminated your employment immediately. While in an official capacity, you have no public personal opinions, anything you say can and will likely be considered the opinion of your employer and / or the client for which you are contracted to.

Your job is to represent those entities in a professional, unbiased fashion for the duration of your employment. You don't have to agree with everything you see, but you do have to treat everyone with respect. Whether you spoke poorly of them to their face or behind their back is immaterial.

I live and work in the south, and while change works slowly, most people are becoming more accepting that not everyone fits into the little box others try and place them in.

Leave a comment:

• Soper
    replied
    Your opinion is what makes you an irresponsible guard.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    Originally posted by Soper View Post
    I’d still have fired you. You are a problem to anyone you come in contact with. I’m amazed you haven’t gotten your butt kicked for your biased remarks.
    Doesn't surprise me unfortunately.

Ur in Cali if I'm not mistaken.

That sort of thing is run of the mill there

Where I'm @ a lot of people in fact share my opinion, which hasn't @ all shifted in the 11 years since this thread began

Leave a comment:

• Soper
    replied
    I’d still have fired you. You are a problem to anyone you come in contact with. I’m amazed you haven’t gotten your butt kicked for your biased remarks.

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    Wow - an incident from a decade ago. How times change. I will only address the original post - In Seattle, a squad of lawyers would have parachuted in and sued you and everyone in sight for discrimination, pain and emotional suffering.

In Seattle, where gender is fluid, capitalism is a dirty word and dogs have more rights than children, you really have to focus on behavior rather than appearance. If purses are considered bags, than you ask the person to put their bag in the designated area. That's the rule. As for you expressing your opinion, I refer to the wise man of the forum, Copie, and repeat his mantra: "Keep your opinions to yourself at work."

As an old guard, let me throw this out when it comes to people: everyone has the capacity for good. Homeless heroin addicts are annoying, but they also know what's going on on the street, and can be a good source of intel. In the early 2000s, when Muslims were treated with suspicion and hatred, a guy named Osama (for real) helped me put out a fire. And a transgender person (male to female) got made fun of by the other guards, but that person was one of the nicest people I ever met. Always greeted me, and despite being clearly wealthy treated everyone, from the janitors on up, with respect. I will let the Creator judge their life choice, but I would protect that person to the best of my ability with no hesitation.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 11-05-2019, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    The forum's kinda been dead lately, thought I'd throw this old gem back in 4 further a analysis.

Just curious how people's attitudes have shifted in regards 2 several topics in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    [QUOTE=integrator97;71066]
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post

Ahhh, but the difference here SecTrainer is possibly two fold. First, the store is requiring you to leave your bag with them, as opposed to a parking lot or hat check, which is optional. Second, I doubt and Enforcer did not indicate that they gave out a ticket, and if so, I doubt that it has any statement on it, but we'll see if he tells us. Of course they could put lockers with keys at the front.
    99% of the time no ticket is issued per store policy. Whenever I take someone's bag, I make sure it is in a safe, inconspicuous place. The funny thing about that is that sometimes, I forget where I put the bag. One of the stores I guard is next door to a liquor store and people come in with bags all the time and one day when the customer finished shopping, their booze was nowhere to be found. It took about five minutes to locate it and until it was found, I could not for the life of me remember where I put it. The people were understandably annoyed about this, but if you know the store won't let you carry bags around, hit the dollar store first and the liquor store second. If anything, they should have thanked me for hiding it so well.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
    Update on the situation: I am now unbanned at the store where the incident took place. They sometimes have a hard time getting a guard out to that neighborhood so the Store Manager that banned me figured that having me is better than having no guard at all.
    Good news! Hopefully, this thing has blown over and everybody will forget about it soon.

Everybody except us, of course, because the Internet never forgets.

I hope you've learned your lesson, though- in this day and age, acting like a jackass will get your company on the 5 O'Clock news, and that's never good for your career.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    As for the man with the "purse", I know a few men that carry bags that aren't gay. Some people just have more stuff than what fits in a wallet, i.e. daytimer, cell phone, concealed carry etc. and those fanny packs look funny.[/QUOTE]

As I stated in one of my earlier responses, aside from being obviously queer, he said he was gay as a justification for carrying his purse.

Update on the situation: I am now unbanned at the store where the incident took place. They sometimes have a hard time getting a guard out to that neighborhood so the Store Manager that banned me figured that having me is better than having no guard at all.

Leave a comment:

• Rooney
    replied
    Employees are representatives of the company. What one does in thier off time is thier own business. While on the clock they have a duty to represent the company in a professional matter. Descrimination in this day and age should not be tolerated.

As for the man with the "purse", I know a few men that carry bags that aren't gay. Some people just have more stuff than what fits in a wallet, i.e. daytimer, cell phone, concealed carry etc. and those fanny packs look funny.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X