Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think This Is Grounds For Termination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son-Of-A-Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
    The purse policy is not discriminatory but simply a socially acceptable double standard. If it were up to me, I'd make the women leave their purses up front too because it is a big culprit of shrink to the stores I guard. I state on every DAR that any woman entering the store with a big purse will be monitored very closely by me. The less people walking around the store with any type of bag, the more peace of mind for me.

And being gay is different from what race you are. I never, ever discriminate on the basis of race, color, or creed. People accuse me of racism all the time, by the way, when I monitor them, being a white guard in all-black neighborhoods. Truthfully, I am more suspicious of white people like me in the stores, as they are not typical of the neighborhood.
    Listen up bud .... you are pretty damned lucky to have a job right now. People have been fired for a lot less. Remember, we are security officers. We are a highly visible presence to deter crime, O & R, or whatever. Becasue we are highly visable we have to be scrupulous in our actions and what we say. None of us can afford to use any word that can be considered a slur, ESPECIALLY in the closed confines of a store.

It doesn't matter if you called someone a "faggot" or described someone as a "faggot"; it was still the absolute wrong choice of words. We wouldn't be having this discussion if you had used any of the plethera of derogatory words to describe someone's race, ethnicity, gender, general attitude, or whatever. These descriptive slurs are wrong and so is the one you used. If you had done that where I work, you would be GONE. No questions asked, no appeal -- GONE.

If you don't understand why, then maybe you might want to consider another career field. Becasue the rest of us do not need another bad apple giving us a bad name. We work hard for our reputations and you are not helping.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    Originally posted by darkenna View Post
    But you do discriminate based upon sexual orientation? How is that different?

And before you answer, consider this: if you answer "because being gay is a choice", so is religion (which you never, ever discriminate against). However, if being gay is a natural phenomenon, then discriminating against it is the same as discriminating against someone because of race (which you never, ever do). Isn't that, too, a double-standard?

Do you understand why so many of your fellow security workers here are telling you this was a bad thing to do?
    I'm actually a bit surprised at the overwhelming attitude against me. I did, however, notice that many posters are from the Northern/New England states and the West Coast where openly gay behavior is considered more acceptable than where I come from (will not disclose). This might provide some explanation for why all but a couple of you think I should automatically be let go.

However, from the feedback I continually receive (clients, managers), I have proven myself an asset to my company. I am a human being and do occasionally commit workplace errors (some bigger than others), but when I do, my bosses will find out ASAP from me and nobody else (FULL ACCOUNTABILITY). I love my job and consider it a hobby as well as a career. In my seven months of employment, I have been late to a post only once. This may, in turn, explain to many of you why my superiors aren't so quick to dismiss me.

Leave a comment:

• Deputy Dawg
    replied
    If you worked for me, I would have had you fired in a heart beat, not to mention trespassed from every property my company owns.

Personal opinion is just that, personal. Keep it to yourself unless asked for it, and even then, theres no need to use terms like "faggots". Clean up the language. The way you conducted yourself was very unprofessional.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, have only slept approx. 5 hours in a 57 hour period...

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Leave a comment:

• darkenna
    replied
    The purse policy is not discriminatory but simply a socially acceptable double standard. If it were up to me, I'd make the women leave their purses up front too because it is a big culprit of shrink to the stores I guard. I state on every DAR that any woman entering the store with a big purse will be monitored very closely by me. The less people walking around the store with any type of bag, the more peace of mind for me.

And being gay is different from what race you are. I never, ever discriminate on the basis of race, color, or creed. People accuse me of racism all the time, by the way, when I monitor them, being a white guard in all-black neighborhoods. Truthfully, I am more suspicious of white people like me in the stores, as they are not typical of the neighborhood.
    But you do discriminate based upon sexual orientation? How is that different?

And before you answer, consider this: if you answer "because being gay is a choice", so is religion (which you never, ever discriminate against). However, if being gay is a natural phenomenon, then discriminating against it is the same as discriminating against someone because of race (which you never, ever do). Isn't that, too, a double-standard?

Do you understand why so many of your fellow security workers here are telling you this was a bad thing to do?

Leave a comment:

• AZInterceptor
    replied
    I'm surprised they didn't fire you on the spot.

Leave a comment:

• LiveNlearn
    replied
    I agree with the majority here, had I been the one getting the call someone would have been on the way to relieve you and a meeting with HR to terminate your employment would be arrainged ASAP

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied

Yes, the policy is discriminatory. Either everyone may carry a bag or no one does. And yes, this scenario is analogous to a racially biased situation.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    Bottom line, you can say and think and feel whatever you like, after work. You cannot say whatever you like at work.

Leave a comment:

• ScottFree
    replied
    The problem here is simply being (justifiably) annoyed at what happened, the op will not learn a valuable lesson by telling him that he (doubly justifiably) should be fired.

Mr Enforcer, you say you dont discriminate, but your comment shows not only that you do, you choose to do it in an extremely poor place.

All of us have our feelings about certain issues that may or may not conform to what is "acceptable" but those of us who have learned about professionalism know that any display of feelings is not only unprofessional, the higher end the setting it is, the more it becomes not only unacceptable to the client, but those around view you in a negative light.

Now i realize that "what people think of you" may be something you dont care about, but in a professional setting how you are percieved can make you as effective in your job as your skills.

In the end i think you should consider more about how your actions reflect on you and your employer than about what you did. While i dont agree with the way you think, this is america and you have a right to feel that way. You even have the right to say what you said.

What you dont understand that you are very lucky that you arent being sued for something that is clearly a civil rights violation that could have a costly impact on you as well as your employer.

As a security officer you need to learn to have a thick skin, as a security supervisor you need to have very thick skin. As a security manager you better have some REAL thick armor plating or you wont survive the opening volley.

Leave a comment:

• copelandamuffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    Just my opinion here, but if I were the head of LP for the chain - you would not be allowed to work in any of the stores of the chain.
    . Amen !!!

Leave a comment:

• publicsafetyred
    replied
    "So what does everybody think? Do I deserve the boot or had justice been done?"

If you worked for me, you would be fired.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix View Post
    The purse policy is discriminatory. When you put on that uniform, you leave your personal beliefs at home. What if you did not approve of people of a certain ethnicity/race? What if you have said, "I don't want Chinks, Niggers, Wops, etc in the store." Would that be any different?

I agree with the others. You were WAY out of line. We realize you dd not voice your opinion until after the incident but your actions spoke volumes about your professional ethics. That type of conduct is a liability to your agency and the store.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    I'm aware you don't work for the store or set their policy, but IMO this is not a good policy.
    The purse policy is discriminatory. When you put on that uniform, you leave your personal beliefs at home. What if you did not approve of people of a certain ethnicity/race? What if you have said, "I don't want Chinks, Niggers, Wops, etc in the store." Would that be any different?

I agree with the others. You were WAY out of line. We realize you did not voice your opinion until after the incident but your actions spoke volumes about your professional ethics. That type of conduct is a liability to your agency and the store.
    Last edited by Tennsix; 08-14-2008, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    To make it clear, I did not personally call the guy a faggot; all I did was tell him to leave his purse up front. Only women are allowed to carry purses in the store. Otherwise, any bag is to be left up front until the person leaves. I was simply upholding the store policy. My comment was made the following day during a conversation.
    I'm aware you don't work for the store or set their policy, but IMO this is not a good policy.

Leave a comment:

• darkenna
    replied
    Termination? Perhaps, perhaps not... a lot of which would depend on your company's policies. Does this call for corrective action? Absolutely! It was highly unprofessional.

Think about how discriminatory, and prejudiced, your statement was. No matter what your personal beliefs, do you have the right to force anyone else to conform to your standards? What do you think would happen if a security guard who happened to be Anglican asked a Catholic nun to remove her headdress and leave it at the front desk, whilst muttering something about "damned Papists"? Or a Jewish guard telling an Aryan-looking bald guy that he needed to put on a hat to come in?

For that matter, what if the "purse" was something else--like a medication bag, or a return for his wife? How do you even know he was homosexual? I've met some very effeminate--and very straight--men with wives and families, even babies on the way.

To pre-judge and act upon it, as you did, is not only the height of conceit, but it reflects very badly upon you professionally. You are lucky you were not terminated; that you were not given a written warning or faced with any disciplinary action baffles me.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X