Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think This Is Grounds For Termination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sneakybstrd View Post
    Wow..OK. Interesting thread everyone.

Enforcer, I am not going to continue to run through the same things everyone else said, rather I want to see if you'll look at your attitude and behavior this way:

1. The private security industry gets a lot of gaff and is continuing to promote and establish professionalism and acceptance in the criminal justice world. I don't know if you're planning on this job being the start of a long career in private security or maybe public law enforcement, or any other plans.

You must remember that everyone you deal with only really sees the badge and uniform, their experiences with you will reflect on all your peers.

2. I don't know if your current situation would allow you to make arrests, but it may in the future. Now (I don't know how old you are, you might not remember) try to remember the cluster that started off with a Defense lawyer asking the simple question, "Have you EVER used the 'N-word'?"

Private or public law enforcement you must always remember that what happens today might come back to bite you hard in the future. What happens if tomorrow you end up arresting a possibly gay man with a sorta purse full of merchandise and a pound of coke? All I see is, "He hates gays and planted that stuff on me when he popped me shoplifting" (Then you'll be arrested for violating this guys civil rights and be forced to enjoy the companionship of your fellow man....)
    I am not allowed to 'arrest' people for stealing but if they get too combative when I request they give up or attempt to retrieve the merchandise, I can defend myself and possibly detain them. Such situations (any touching of people without consent) are seriously frowned upon by my agency and it has not ever come to that for me yet. As far as the guy accusing me of planting the stuff in his purse, it ought to be his word against mine (I would never actually do something of that nature even if I had a personal dislike for a person, let alone somebody I have never met).

Comment

• Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
      To make it clear, I did not personally call the guy a faggot; all I did was tell him to leave his purse up front. Only women are allowed to carry purses in the store. Otherwise, any bag is to be left up front until the person leaves. I was simply upholding the store policy. My comment was made the following day during a conversation.
      As a security officer you are in a nuetral position and should not make judgement on other people for who they are. For future reference I would really consider what you would type on this forum by using such a respectful word with substituting it with something else. We have a diverse membership here on this forum and one of our members could well be gay.

Comment

• Originally posted by hemi444 View Post
        As a security officer you are in a nuetral position and should not make judgement on other people for who they are. For future reference I would really consider what you would type on this forum by using such a respectful word with substituting it with something else. We have a diverse membership here on this forum and one of our members could well be gay.
        While I agree with you in general, had he not used his actual words in posing his situation, it would not have shown the same impact. I think when addressing an actual situation, we should use what was actually said and done, to show the context of the situation.
        sigpic
        Rocket Science
        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• On one hand, your opinions and your duties should never mix. Security officers "observe and report". I would not have fired you, because you would have gotten unemployment, and I don't like paying unemployment claims. But I would have given you a stern written warning, placed you on 90 days probation, and you would be hanging by a thin thread.

Playing devil's advocate however, there is no federal statute banning discrimination based on sexual persuasion, so everyone's argument that he might as well have called the guy a racial slur is inaccurate.
          Thanks to Curtis and Geoff! My new name is so... ME!

Comment

• Originally posted by thefatboy View Post
            On one hand, your opinions and your duties should never mix. Security officers "observe and report". I would not have fired you, because you would have gotten unemployment, and I don't like paying unemployment claims. But I would have given you a stern written warning, placed you on 90 days probation, and you would be hanging by a thin thread.

Playing devil's advocate however, there is no federal statute banning discrimination based on sexual persuasion, so everyone's argument that he might as well have called the guy a racial slur is inaccurate.
            Yes, there is not a federal statute against discrimination based on sexual preference in a public place but from the civil side there is precidence for lawsuits and to a business owner or company that is where your mind needs to be.

There are also statutes in several states (CA,CT, DC, MA, MN, NH, NJ, RI, VT, WS) that prohibit discrimination in public accommodation and under Washington law every "open to the public" business falls under public accommodation.

Further more who cares what the law says when you put the company you work for on the 5 o'clock news?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              Yes, there is not a federal statute against discrimination based on sexual preference in a public place but from the civil side there is precidence for lawsuits and to a business owner or company that is where your mind needs to be.

There are also statutes in several states (CA,CT, DC, MA, MN, NH, NJ, RI, VT, WS) that prohibit discrimination in public accommodation and under Washington law every "open to the public" business falls under public accommodation.

Further more who cares what the law says when you put the company you work for on the 5 o'clock news?
              But they say even bad press is good press.
              sigpic
              Rocket Science
              Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
              One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• Employees are representatives of the company. What one does in thier off time is thier own business. While on the clock they have a duty to represent the company in a professional matter. Descrimination in this day and age should not be tolerated.

As for the man with the "purse", I know a few men that carry bags that aren't gay. Some people just have more stuff than what fits in a wallet, i.e. daytimer, cell phone, concealed carry etc. and those fanny packs look funny.

Comment

• As for the man with the "purse", I know a few men that carry bags that aren't gay. Some people just have more stuff than what fits in a wallet, i.e. daytimer, cell phone, concealed carry etc. and those fanny packs look funny.[/QUOTE]

As I stated in one of my earlier responses, aside from being obviously queer, he said he was gay as a justification for carrying his purse.

Update on the situation: I am now unbanned at the store where the incident took place. They sometimes have a hard time getting a guard out to that neighborhood so the Store Manager that banned me figured that having me is better than having no guard at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
                    Update on the situation: I am now unbanned at the store where the incident took place. They sometimes have a hard time getting a guard out to that neighborhood so the Store Manager that banned me figured that having me is better than having no guard at all.
                    Good news! Hopefully, this thing has blown over and everybody will forget about it soon.

Everybody except us, of course, because the Internet never forgets.

I hope you've learned your lesson, though- in this day and age, acting like a jackass will get your company on the 5 O'Clock news, and that's never good for your career.
                    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

• [QUOTE=integrator97;71066]
                      Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post

Ahhh, but the difference here SecTrainer is possibly two fold. First, the store is requiring you to leave your bag with them, as opposed to a parking lot or hat check, which is optional. Second, I doubt and Enforcer did not indicate that they gave out a ticket, and if so, I doubt that it has any statement on it, but we'll see if he tells us. Of course they could put lockers with keys at the front.
                      99% of the time no ticket is issued per store policy. Whenever I take someone's bag, I make sure it is in a safe, inconspicuous place. The funny thing about that is that sometimes, I forget where I put the bag. One of the stores I guard is next door to a liquor store and people come in with bags all the time and one day when the customer finished shopping, their booze was nowhere to be found. It took about five minutes to locate it and until it was found, I could not for the life of me remember where I put it. The people were understandably annoyed about this, but if you know the store won't let you carry bags around, hit the dollar store first and the liquor store second. If anything, they should have thanked me for hiding it so well.

Comment

• The forum's kinda been dead lately, thought I'd throw this old gem back in 4 further a analysis.

Just curious how people's attitudes have shifted in regards 2 several topics in this thread.

Comment

• Wow - an incident from a decade ago. How times change. I will only address the original post - In Seattle, a squad of lawyers would have parachuted in and sued you and everyone in sight for discrimination, pain and emotional suffering.

In Seattle, where gender is fluid, capitalism is a dirty word and dogs have more rights than children, you really have to focus on behavior rather than appearance. If purses are considered bags, than you ask the person to put their bag in the designated area. That's the rule. As for you expressing your opinion, I refer to the wise man of the forum, Copie, and repeat his mantra: "Keep your opinions to yourself at work."

As an old guard, let me throw this out when it comes to people: everyone has the capacity for good. Homeless heroin addicts are annoying, but they also know what's going on on the street, and can be a good source of intel. In the early 2000s, when Muslims were treated with suspicion and hatred, a guy named Osama (for real) helped me put out a fire. And a transgender person (male to female) got made fun of by the other guards, but that person was one of the nicest people I ever met. Always greeted me, and despite being clearly wealthy treated everyone, from the janitors on up, with respect. I will let the Creator judge their life choice, but I would protect that person to the best of my ability with no hesitation.
                          Last edited by Condo Guard; 11-05-2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• I’d still have fired you. You are a problem to anyone you come in contact with. I’m amazed you haven’t gotten your butt kicked for your biased remarks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soper View Post
                              I’d still have fired you. You are a problem to anyone you come in contact with. I’m amazed you haven’t gotten your butt kicked for your biased remarks.
                              Doesn't surprise me unfortunately.

Ur in Cali if I'm not mistaken.

That sort of thing is run of the mill there

Where I'm @ a lot of people in fact share my opinion, which hasn't @ all shifted in the 11 years since this thread began

Comment

• Your opinion is what makes you an irresponsible guard.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X