Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think This Is Grounds For Termination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTGuard
    replied
    I bet if Jack Bauer walked into your store with his man bag slung across his shoulder you wouldn't have made him leave it at the desk.

Leave a comment:

• FederalSecurity
    replied
    Enforcer,

I really am glad to hear that you like your job and have a passion for security.

The thing is... you say that you've been in the security sector for seven

months. In my opinion, seven months isn't very long at all. I'm not saying

that my five years is very long, but at the career point that you're at now,

you still have quite alot to learn. One of the lessons to be learned is

the habit of holding yourself to higher standards. This goes for anything that

you do or say, especially when you are on duty. If you are really serious

about the security field, you'll do just fine if you're a little more careful from

now on.

Leave a comment:

• Yardstick
    replied
    I can't wrap my head around why you wouldn't want a customer in the store...

Even if you disagree with his lifestyle choices why would you not want him in the store purchasing things?

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    Here in the Bible belt, I would probably have fired you, at the very least reprimanded you in writing.

So the national consensus seems to be, you are one lucky dog, this time.

Leave a comment:

• bjohs
    replied
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions whether others find them offensive or not. But the one mistake you made was having that opinion slip out of your mouth. Had you said it in your head and kept the thought to yourself, you would not find yourself in this position with your employer. In this day and age, what you said is extremely offensive and inexcusable. Employers in the most conservative states would not tolerate it and you would receive either immediate disciplinary action or termination.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Just another post to agree with the majority here.

As others have said, it's not the policy we're talking about here, (even though it's a bad one), it's your choice of words. Whether you were talking to one of the clerks, or one of your best buddies doesn't matter one bit, because you were ON DUTY.

As others have said before me, when you're on duty you are supposed to be a completely neutral, unbiased protector for everyone at the site. Making a comment like that shows the employees that you are FAR from unbiased, which makes you look unprofessional, (and reflects very poorly on your company and the rest of the security industry as a whole, I might add).

Whether you want to believe it, or listen to it or not, you ARE very lucky to still have a job. In the future, I would advise you to keep your freakin mouth shut until you're off the clock and out of uniform.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
    I'm actually a bit surprised at the overwhelming attitude against me. I did, however, notice that many posters are from the Northern/New England states and the West Coast where openly gay behavior is considered more acceptable than where I come from (will not disclose). This might provide some explanation for why all but a couple of you think I should automatically be let go.
    Well, here in Minnesota (not New England), I would have fired you too.... And, not only will I tell you where I am from, but I will show you who I am...

Leave a comment:

• FireEMSPolice
    replied

But seriously, you need to learn to keep your opinions to yourself.

ANY use of this language should get you written up at a minimum. There is NEVER any cause to use the language.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    There are two problems here. One of them (the bag policy) doesn't belong to you. The other (the "faggot" comment, and more importantly, the hostility that it expresses) does belong to you.

If this is the first incident of this kind, and assuming that you have been a satisfactory employee in every other way, I don't happen to share the opinion that you should be terminated over this incident since the derogatory term was not voiced to the individual in question. However, you'd be given a "last chance" warning and would undergo some sensitivity training for sure.

When your employer opens the doors every day, they are open to everyone regardless of their politics, their religion, their race, their gender, their ethnic background or their sexual preferences. Your responsibility is to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all, and to regard each one as the equal of any other...and as the equal of yourself, for that matter. This applies whether you are talking TO people or talking ABOUT them. There is simply no place anywhere in the work environment for derogatory comments made to or about any individual or any class of individuals.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Enforcer
    replied
    Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
    Yeah you should be fired. And how do you know the guy is gay anyway? Just because someone is flamboyant doesn't make them gay. And why would you even care who shops in the store anyway ... money is all the same.

This thread starter has to be joking.
    I know he was gay because he said he was and no, I am not joking; all of this really did happen a couple of days ago. Also the line between getting fired and keeping your job should be drawn between simply saying something derogatory or personally telling it to somebody. In the latter case, it probaly would be a good idea to get rid of the person.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    I don't think you should be fired for confiscating the guy's bag (although it was a bad judgement call and if the guy would have complained the company would have ahd a problem on its hands). But any employee that uses the term "faggot" to or in front of another employee needs to be terminated or disciplined, because if they don't, the other employee can turn around and sue your employer. It's all laid out here.

Don't give me any you-don't-understand-because-being-gay-isn't-accepted-around-here bs, because the law is the law in all 50 states.

Leave a comment:

• johnnylawdog
    replied
    Justice served

Justice served ? perhaps but you should consider yourself lucky that you have a job and count it as a learning experience. REMEMBER your in a uniform we live in a fishbowl everybodys always watching or listening.

KEEP your remarks to yourself , hang in there.

Leave a comment:

• mjw064
    replied
    Yeah you should be fired. And how do you know the guy is gay anyway? Just because someone is flamboyant doesn't make them gay. And why would you even care who shops in the store anyway ... money is all the same.

This thread starter has to be joking.

Leave a comment:

• AZInterceptor
    replied
    I'm actually a bit surprised at the overwhelming attitude against me. I did, however, notice that many posters are from the Northern/New England states and the West Coast where openly gay behavior is considered more acceptable than where I come from (will not disclose). This might provide some explanation for why all but a couple of you think I should automatically be let go.
    Well, I just came from interviewing a guy in a shotgun shack out in the middle of the desert, where it has actually cooled off to 100 degrees. It's a far, far cry from San Franciso, NYC, Miami etc... I still woulda fired you, but hey, take it as a lesson learned ( I hope ).

Leave a comment:

• Jedi
    replied
    To this I responded- "I don't want any faggots in the store anyway."
    I believe you may be confused about which of your actions requires correction. The problem that I see with the situation isn't the enforcement of the policy, although the policy is a serious liability to the store. The real problem is your comment the next day. In this day and age of sexual harassment suites, you are a liability to the company.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that if one of my security officers did something like this, they would be looking for a new job.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X