Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think This Is Grounds For Termination?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I must just be used to working in "At Will" places. The company I just signed up with is the same. Either employee or employer may terminate employment for any, or no reason at all.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Yardstick View Post
      I must just be used to working in "At Will" places. The company I just signed up with is the same. Either employee or employer may terminate employment for any, or no reason at all.

      Sorry, but you misunderstand the law. I am talking about "at-will" employers; it's even more restricted if there's a union contract.

      ANY EMPLOYER CAN BE SUED FOR UNLAWFUL TERMINATION, whether you think they can be or not. In fact, almost all of the cases for unlawful termination are brought against "at-will" employers because there's a totally different legal procedure for an employee to address his grievance with respect to termination in violation of a union contract, which includes arbitration, etc. and is also under the jurisdiction of a different agency - the NLRB, not the EEOC.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-16-2008, 01:45 PM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

      "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

      "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

      "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

      Comment


      • #63
        Ok, since you asked, I would give you the boot.

        I base this on your making the man give up his "purse" when that is not done to women, when you should have gone to management to get their opinion on the issue. (This is a common sense issue, which you failed.)

        Secondly, your comments in the store, which were obviously heard by others in the store, were COMPLETELY out of line. (This is another common sense issue, which you failed miserably with.)

        Your company might not fire you, but you are obviously a liability to them, and if you continue your ways, expect to be in a law suit, that you will be the center of, and it most certainly won't be pretty.

        If you cannot control your actions about things that bother you about other persons, you should find a job that does not have you dealing with the general public.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
          Man, I sure am glad I'm not working for anybody that posted on this thread.
          So are we.
          Professionalism through Training

          Comment


          • #65
            ---edited----
            Last edited by SIW Editor; 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM. Reason: INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE
            I do security for work; I run into burning buildings for fun

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Blade Runner View Post
              Lookit here Hoss...



              Maybe you should try to get to know some people with "alternative lifestyles." Who knows, maybe you have friends who are gay or closet crossdressers and you don't even know it. People who have "alternative lifestyles," don't always advertise, you know.
              Last edited by SIW Editor; 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM. Reason: QUOTING OF INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE
              "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

              Comment


              • #67
                I think you made a mistake that we've all made at one time or another in that you may have just gotten a little to comfortable around your client, learn from it and don't do it again.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by cmndr View Post
                  So are we.
                  I second that.
                  111th PAPD Class
                  Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                    Sorry, but you misunderstand the law. I am talking about "at-will" employers; it's even more restricted if there's a union contract.

                    ANY EMPLOYER CAN BE SUED FOR UNLAWFUL TERMINATION, whether you think they can be or not. In fact, almost all of the cases for unlawful termination are brought against "at-will" employers because there's a totally different legal procedure for an employee to address his grievance with respect to termination in violation of a union contract, which includes arbitration, etc. and is also under the jurisdiction of a different agency - the NLRB, not the EEOC.
                    Hey SecTrainer, thanks for the legal lesson

                    I had no idea.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
                      So what does everybody think? Do I deserve the boot or had justice been done?
                      Personally, if you really need to ask our opinions about this despite the reactions you witnessed in regards to what you said...then you have absolutely no sense and do not need to be in this line of work. I also feel that if someone in this profession is going to make comments like this, not only should they be fired by their employer but, the state agency should mete out punishment as well such as revoking the security license after an investigation.

                      You may not have said it openly to the customer but, what if you had? An even bigger question is, showing how brazenly you said what you did to one of the other employees, would you have said it? I think you would have.
                      Last edited by Taktiq; 08-17-2008, 10:07 AM.
                      ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I'll give 'The Enforcer" credit where it's due. He asked for opinions and took everyone's comments without lashing out. Often when someone on these forums asks for an opinion of their actions and they don't hear want they wanted to hear, it becomes an ugly back and forth.

                        Most everyone who regularly posts here has expressed their opinion and the OP has received the feedback.
                        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

                        Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Taktiq View Post
                          Personally, if you really need to ask our opinions about this despite the reactions you witnessed in regards to what you said...then you have absolutely no sense and do not need to be in this line of work. I also feel that if someone in this profession is going to make comments like this, not only should they be fired by their employer but, the state agency should mete out punishment as well such as revoking the security license after an investigation.

                          You may not have said it openly to the customer but, what if you had? An even bigger question is, showing how brazenly you said what you did to one of the other employees, would you have said it? I think you would have.
                          Even if that guy actually pissed me off, I would NEVER have called him a ******* in his face. As I stated earlier, that absolutely would be grounds for termination in my opinion. Whenever people call me names at work, I don't ever call them a name in return, but simply openly treat them with disrespect (laughing in their face, telling them to stop being ghetto). If someone tells me "I'll beat your ass," I don't throw a hissy fit but calmly tell them I'll beat theirs. I can get away with a lot on my post but clearly know my absolute limits.
                          Last edited by SIW Editor; 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Look, in my and most others' opinions, you screwed up bad. But you appear to have gotten away with it, wich indicates luck and/or some pretty advanced weaseling abilities, and you came on here and asked for advice, which indicates maturity and willingness to listen, as well as some pretty advanced smarts.

                            Learn from your mistakes and you'll get far in security or any other field you choose to apply yourself.
                            The CCTV Blog.

                            "Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

                            -SecTrainer

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
                              ITo this I responded- "I don't want any faggots in the store anyway." This is my opinion because I feel that regardless of what people do in bed, it does not justify them to manifestly display their homosexuality. All should behave according to their sex for the society to run in an organized fashion. Plus, that guy had his priorities mixed up; he had a purse, yet at the same time he was wearing a beard (Butch, Fem)?
                              ha ha, holy christ, how you managed to keep your job after this is beyond me. I never figured security's job is to keep them faggots out because you don't like feminine men. Way to keep up standards buddy, 100%!

                              I would take your own insight into how to keep society organized and maybe behave like a civilized human being next time one of those faggots dares to not walk in wearing denim and cowboy boots while chewing tobacco.

                              I mean it's not even a question of "well I don't like gays they make me uncomfortable because they undermine my understanding of society for the following reasons:" which is totally understandable, but you went right into "GOD I DON'T NEED ************ MAH STORE WITH THEM PURSES SCARIN THE CHILLINS" and then wondered "uh why would anyone fire me for this" and claimed the lack of understanding you get is because dissenters come from relatively more liberal places than you
                              Last edited by SIW Editor; 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Enforcer - I was happy to see you deleted the company you work for in your profile. Your postings certainly bring discredit to them.
                                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                                Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

                                Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X