Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think This Is Grounds For Termination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the majority here, had I been the one getting the call someone would have been on the way to relieve you and a meeting with HR to terminate your employment would be arrainged ASAP
    Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't fire you on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
        The purse policy is not discriminatory but simply a socially acceptable double standard. If it were up to me, I'd make the women leave their purses up front too because it is a big culprit of shrink to the stores I guard. I state on every DAR that any woman entering the store with a big purse will be monitored very closely by me. The less people walking around the store with any type of bag, the more peace of mind for me.

And being gay is different from what race you are. I never, ever discriminate on the basis of race, color, or creed. People accuse me of racism all the time, by the way, when I monitor them, being a white guard in all-black neighborhoods. Truthfully, I am more suspicious of white people like me in the stores, as they are not typical of the neighborhood.
        But you do discriminate based upon sexual orientation? How is that different?

And before you answer, consider this: if you answer "because being gay is a choice", so is religion (which you never, ever discriminate against). However, if being gay is a natural phenomenon, then discriminating against it is the same as discriminating against someone because of race (which you never, ever do). Isn't that, too, a double-standard?

Do you understand why so many of your fellow security workers here are telling you this was a bad thing to do?
        "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

If you worked for me, I would have had you fired in a heart beat, not to mention trespassed from every property my company owns.

Personal opinion is just that, personal. Keep it to yourself unless asked for it, and even then, theres no need to use terms like "faggots". Clean up the language. The way you conducted yourself was very unprofessional.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, have only slept approx. 5 hours in a 57 hour period...

Just my 2 cents anyway.
          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by darkenna View Post
            But you do discriminate based upon sexual orientation? How is that different?

And before you answer, consider this: if you answer "because being gay is a choice", so is religion (which you never, ever discriminate against). However, if being gay is a natural phenomenon, then discriminating against it is the same as discriminating against someone because of race (which you never, ever do). Isn't that, too, a double-standard?

Do you understand why so many of your fellow security workers here are telling you this was a bad thing to do?
            I'm actually a bit surprised at the overwhelming attitude against me. I did, however, notice that many posters are from the Northern/New England states and the West Coast where openly gay behavior is considered more acceptable than where I come from (will not disclose). This might provide some explanation for why all but a couple of you think I should automatically be let go.

However, from the feedback I continually receive (clients, managers), I have proven myself an asset to my company. I am a human being and do occasionally commit workplace errors (some bigger than others), but when I do, my bosses will find out ASAP from me and nobody else (FULL ACCOUNTABILITY). I love my job and consider it a hobby as well as a career. In my seven months of employment, I have been late to a post only once. This may, in turn, explain to many of you why my superiors aren't so quick to dismiss me.

Comment

The purse policy is not discriminatory but simply a socially acceptable double standard. If it were up to me, I'd make the women leave their purses up front too because it is a big culprit of shrink to the stores I guard. I state on every DAR that any woman entering the store with a big purse will be monitored very closely by me. The less people walking around the store with any type of bag, the more peace of mind for me.

And being gay is different from what race you are. I never, ever discriminate on the basis of race, color, or creed. People accuse me of racism all the time, by the way, when I monitor them, being a white guard in all-black neighborhoods. Truthfully, I am more suspicious of white people like me in the stores, as they are not typical of the neighborhood.
              Listen up bud .... you are pretty damned lucky to have a job right now. People have been fired for a lot less. Remember, we are security officers. We are a highly visible presence to deter crime, O & R, or whatever. Becasue we are highly visable we have to be scrupulous in our actions and what we say. None of us can afford to use any word that can be considered a slur, ESPECIALLY in the closed confines of a store.

It doesn't matter if you called someone a "faggot" or described someone as a "faggot"; it was still the absolute wrong choice of words. We wouldn't be having this discussion if you had used any of the plethera of derogatory words to describe someone's race, ethnicity, gender, general attitude, or whatever. These descriptive slurs are wrong and so is the one you used. If you had done that where I work, you would be GONE. No questions asked, no appeal -- GONE.

If you don't understand why, then maybe you might want to consider another career field. Becasue the rest of us do not need another bad apple giving us a bad name. We work hard for our reputations and you are not helping.
              "The Emperor is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress. I am here to put you back on schedule."

Comment

To this I responded- "I don't want any faggots in the store anyway."
                I believe you may be confused about which of your actions requires correction. The problem that I see with the situation isn't the enforcement of the policy, although the policy is a serious liability to the store. The real problem is your comment the next day. In this day and age of sexual harassment suites, you are a liability to the company.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that if one of my security officers did something like this, they would be looking for a new job.
                -Jedi-
                Semper Paratus

Comment

I'm actually a bit surprised at the overwhelming attitude against me. I did, however, notice that many posters are from the Northern/New England states and the West Coast where openly gay behavior is considered more acceptable than where I come from (will not disclose). This might provide some explanation for why all but a couple of you think I should automatically be let go.
                  Well, I just came from interviewing a guy in a shotgun shack out in the middle of the desert, where it has actually cooled off to 100 degrees. It's a far, far cry from San Franciso, NYC, Miami etc... I still woulda fired you, but hey, take it as a lesson learned ( I hope ).

Comment

Yeah you should be fired. And how do you know the guy is gay anyway? Just because someone is flamboyant doesn't make them gay. And why would you even care who shops in the store anyway ... money is all the same.

This thread starter has to be joking.
                    Washington DC

Comment

Justice served

Justice served ? perhaps but you should consider yourself lucky that you have a job and count it as a learning experience. REMEMBER your in a uniform we live in a fishbowl everybodys always watching or listening.

KEEP your remarks to yourself , hang in there.

Comment

I don't think you should be fired for confiscating the guy's bag (although it was a bad judgement call and if the guy would have complained the company would have ahd a problem on its hands). But any employee that uses the term "faggot" to or in front of another employee needs to be terminated or disciplined, because if they don't, the other employee can turn around and sue your employer. It's all laid out here.

Don't give me any you-don't-understand-because-being-gay-isn't-accepted-around-here bs, because the law is the law in all 50 states.
                        The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
                          Yeah you should be fired. And how do you know the guy is gay anyway? Just because someone is flamboyant doesn't make them gay. And why would you even care who shops in the store anyway ... money is all the same.

This thread starter has to be joking.
                          I know he was gay because he said he was and no, I am not joking; all of this really did happen a couple of days ago. Also the line between getting fired and keeping your job should be drawn between simply saying something derogatory or personally telling it to somebody. In the latter case, it probaly would be a good idea to get rid of the person.

Comment

There are two problems here. One of them (the bag policy) doesn't belong to you. The other (the "faggot" comment, and more importantly, the hostility that it expresses) does belong to you.

If this is the first incident of this kind, and assuming that you have been a satisfactory employee in every other way, I don't happen to share the opinion that you should be terminated over this incident since the derogatory term was not voiced to the individual in question. However, you'd be given a "last chance" warning and would undergo some sensitivity training for sure.

When your employer opens the doors every day, they are open to everyone regardless of their politics, their religion, their race, their gender, their ethnic background or their sexual preferences. Your responsibility is to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all, and to regard each one as the equal of any other...and as the equal of yourself, for that matter. This applies whether you are talking TO people or talking ABOUT them. There is simply no place anywhere in the work environment for derogatory comments made to or about any individual or any class of individuals.
                            Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

But seriously, you need to learn to keep your opinions to yourself.

ANY use of this language should get you written up at a minimum. There is NEVER any cause to use the language.
                              "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Well, here in Minnesota (not New England), I would have fired you too.... And, not only will I tell you where I am from, but I will show you who I am...
                                Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X