Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida guard/gun laws

Hey Guys,

Once I finish up college I'm planning to move to central Florida and take the police academy there. I can go on and on about my reasoning for this for anyone who wants to talk about it. Those of you from Mass. can probably figure it out lol

Anyway...while applying to/taking the academy I want a weekend security job, preferably armed. The licensing and firearms laws are kind of confusing to me. What's the minimum age to get the guard and armed guard license? Is the armed guard license the same as a license to carry, meaning I can carry it "off duty"? Is this a concealed license?

Thanks!
    If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

18 to get a D which is a security officer lic.
    21 to get a G state wide firearms permit unless you have some one waiver you. It only allows you to carry a firearm while you are working and other rules as well.

21 to get a CCW which allows you to carry concealed off duty and on your own time.
    Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

Florida Security Gaurds

You need to get a D license first its 40 hrs then you need a G license its 28 hrs with range time. You can get a temp D once you are in the system. You can get a temp G if the company that hires you will sponsor you and that's only once you are in the system and that take 45 days or more after you summit your application after you have completed the training. The concealed weapons license is totally a separate thing. You have to take a class for that also and takes 30 to 90 days to get your license from the time you apply. You cant get a G without a D anyone can get a concealed weapons license has nothing to do with security. I think you have to be 21 for a concealed permit and 18 for a D and G

Comment

Ok, that cleared things up a bit, thanks guys. Yeah, pretty sure it's 18 for open carry, I just didnt know how that tied into security.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post
          Ok, that cleared things up a bit, thanks guys. Yeah, pretty sure it's 18 for open carry, I just didnt know how that tied into security.
          Open carry is illegal in Florida, but there is a petition out to push to allow it. See http://www.opencarry.com/index.html for more info.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I'm not from Florida, but can you apply for the security license without being in the state of Florida?
            sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

Ok, so you still need to be 21 to get an armed guard license? That's kind of odd since you can be a deputy at 19???

Comment

How it works is first and foremost, you need to take you "D" training. You can either take the entire 40 hours upfront, or you can take 24 hours and then the remaining 16 within 6 months. After that, you can take the "G" course which requires 20 hours of classroom instruction then 8 hours on the range. In Florida, you only need to be 18 to obtain your Statewide Firearms license (G). You can get the temp G but you must have an agency sign off on your paperwork as well as pass a psych test. If you want to obtain a Concealed carry permit, you must be 21. However, the "D" and "G" licenses can be obtained at 18.

As long as you come to Florida for the training, you can apply out of state but you will need a Florida Address.

Another thing I recommend is having the "live scan" fingerprints done. Saves alot of processing time for license issueance.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I can also provide you information on schools in Florida.

Comment

Start here.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...EChapter%20493

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X