Cursing like a 'like a sailor'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursing like a 'like a sailor'

Recently, in "Whats your "style"?" I made two posts. It was intended to be one post but I had forgotten something and went back to it.

In them (it) I used a couple of common phrases that include profanity, which I will not repeat. One member took offence to my phrases with the "starred out" vulgarities (where * is used instead of the letters).

While I disagree with his view that I used words that, while they were not complete text, that should not be used here, I absolutely do agree with the Senior Member that any type of profanity use should not be used here.

For doing so I apologize. I could have easily inserted other, less bourgeois language. While, yes, I do use vulgarity when it suits my purpose (it is known that profanity sometimes gets a message across better than 'normal' language), I should not have used such language here.

I was going to repeat my original post(s) with the vulgarity replaced, but I think this post is now long enough for anyone.

wjohnc
    with thanks to the Senior Member from New England
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

White horse fell in the mud
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
      Recently, in "Whats your "style"?" I made two posts. It was intended to be one post but I had forgotten something and went back to it.

In them (it) I used a couple of common phrases that include profanity, which I will not repeat. One member took offence to my phrases with the "starred out" vulgarities (where * is used instead of the letters).

While I disagree with his view that I used words that, while they were not complete text, that should not be used here, I absolutely do agree with the Senior Member that any type of profanity use should not be used here.

For doing so I apologize. I could have easily inserted other, less bourgeois language. While, yes, I do use vulgarity when it suits my purpose (it is known that profanity sometimes gets a message across better than 'normal' language), I should not have used such language here.

I was going to repeat my original post(s) with the vulgarity replaced, but I think this post is now long enough for anyone.

wjohnc
      with thanks to the Senior Member from New England
      Thank you sir! BTW, you proved that you practice what you preach when it comes to diffusing conflicts. Thanks again.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

wjohnc,
        I have found that profanity can be useful with teenagers. This is the only group of people that I really use profanity with while working. The word "BullS___ " is good in that if used correctly it shows the person you are dealing with that you are not afraid to play their game.

Where I work we also have a policy that guests are present on a priveleged basis and if they act out of line by "Using profanity, or behaving in a rowdy manner", I can kick them out per cpc and ban them from property.

This was especially helpful in a case where a young man was riding about the streets, golf carts paths, and jogging paths on a dirtbike(illegal). We received numerous complaints that day. He would stop. Then minutes later he was off againg zipping and buzzing all over the place. The cops were called in (which is rare), and he stopped. Only to start again after they left.
        When I finally caught him, he was wearing his bike attire but his bike wasn't anywhere in site.

I knew it was him. He got a chuckle denying to my face saying that I never saw him on the bike. I insulted him using profanity and I basically baited him into shouting and swearing at me. Then I kicked him out and banned him. Problem Solved.
        Last edited by The_Mayor; 03-07-2006, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
          I knew it was him. He got a chuckle denying to my face saying that I never saw him on the bike. I insulted him using profanity and I basically baited him into shouting and swearing at me. Then I kicked him out and banned him. Problem Solved.
          Mayor, you are a credit to the industry and the human race.

Comment

Sounds like the stuff a sitcom could be made out of.
            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
              wjohnc,
              I have found that profanity can be useful with teenagers...
              You should mention that the next time you get your license renewed. I'm sure the issuing authorities would like a chance to discuss that 'tactic' with you in-depth.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X