A ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ?

I was recently talking to a trainer and he wants to start training guards to use "mace" and taser along with the side arm I was wondering how many states authorize the use of tasers and mace, also what are the results of their use.

Cookie
    Some mornings it dosn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps

No Tasers or Mace allowed in all of Canada.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I know Oregon allows it, and I'm confident that Washington allows it.
      sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

Are you talking about using OC and a Taser at the same time? Or just carrying them both along with being armed?
        Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsng View Post
          I was recently talking to a trainer and he wants to start training guards to use "mace" and taser along with the side arm I was wondering how many states authorize the use of tasers and mace, also what are the results of their use.

Cookie
          Honestly, and I may be wrong here, but I don't think maces have been viable weapons since the advent of gunpowder. Though, I will say they could have a good psychological effect when combined with the broadsword.
          ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsng View Post

Cookie
            Florida allows pepper spray and Tasers. Chemical Mace(CN) hasn't been use widespread since the 80s.
            "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

When I carry chemical spray - which is very seldom - I carry issued Freeze +P which is a mixture of CS(tear gas) and OC. Nasty stuff!
              I rarely use it on anyone because I am very sensitive to the stuff. I think I have sprayed 3 or 4 people in the ten years I've been carrying the stuff.
              My eyes start watering just being in proximity to someone who has been sprayed with OC or Freeze +P. CN doesn't effect me as bad, but we don't use that. It doesn't work well on drunks anyway.
              Freeze +P and OC affect me so much that the instructor at my last cert class didn't have me sprayed because I had it bad enough just being around the guys who did get sprayed.
              "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

wrong term

Excuse my misuse of terms I ment chemical spray although the use of a MACE and Broadsword would be interesting

Cookie

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                  Are you talking about using OC and a Taser at the same time? Or just carrying them both along with being armed?
                  Carring both he is trying nest month to bring it to the state board although he would be happy to get either one of them

Comment

Assuming you meant the separate effects:
                    Pepper Spray: Intense burning in eyes, nose and throat. Difficulty breathing. Affects mucous membranes throughout sprayed area. Very uncomfortable.
                    TASER: Like being tangled up in an electric fence; incapacitating and exhausting.

Assuming you meant used together:
                    There is a very, very, very slight possiblity that using a Taser after alcohol-based pepper spray could ignite a subject. Most agencies, because of this, have required the use of water-based pepper sprays to avoid this.

Pepper spray is legal in all 50 states, though some jurisdicitons have tougher regs than others.

Tasers are a little different.
                    I apologize for the image size below.

Courtesy rkdefense.com.
                    Most of what we call management consists of making it difficult for people to get their work done.
                    -- Peter Drucker

Comment

Some of our officers actually tested OC flamability with Tasers. The article and results are here

http://www.crtlesslethal.com/CRT%20T...0OC%202007.pdf

The bottom line is DON'T TRUST THE LABEL

And in Washington state, officers can carry both
                      Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

Seattle Police Department
                      False Alarm Unit #B100A
                      PO Box 34986
                      Seattle, WA 98124-4986
                      (206) 684-7713

Comment

Originally posted by SPD False Alarm Unit View Post
                        And in Washington state, officers can carry both
                        Heck, in California, anyone can carry both. Tasers can even be purchased and carried concealed by civilians without any special permits. S/Os and LEOs have to carry their certifications for both chemical weapons and "stun gun" with them.
                        Most of what we call management consists of making it difficult for people to get their work done.
                        -- Peter Drucker

Comment

Sgt.,

I don't know where you get your information, but LEOs in California DO NOT have to carry any proof of certification to carry a taser, chemical weapon, firearm or carry any other certification (except our driver's license). I might add that to the best of my knowledge, stun guns and tasers do not require proof of certification (for a S/O) because they are not regulated in California.

Stay Safe.
                          Last edited by DeputyJ; 07-11-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

No tasers allowed even for LEO's in DC. Interestingly enough a Deputy US Marshall (who act as the Sheriff's Office for the District of Columbia) used a taser today on a subject who he eventually ended up shooting. We'll see what comes of that ...
                            Washington DC

Comment

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
                              No tasers allowed even for LEO's in DC. Interestingly enough a Deputy US Marshall (who act as the Sheriff's Office for the District of Columbia) used a taser today on a subject who he eventually ended up shooting. We'll see what comes of that ...
                              EEP! Well, they're not 100%. I'd hate to be the Deputy right about now...
                              Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X