Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever been pulled over in a company vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our rigs in California were Expeditions, so they never got above 95, even downhill. We also had them in Alaska, but there wasn't a lot of room to get them up to breakneck speeds, though I once went to a help-the-officer call at 90mph in a blizzard...I'll attach a picture to illustrate the joys of that.

Rode with a CHP officer once on a SET (special enforcement teams) detail, in his Camaro...We went up to the bad side of 130 chasing two guys who were racing on the highway...Passed them and then blocked both lanes and forced them to pull over. Fun times.

Comment

[QUOTE=wilrobnson]Our rigs in California were Expeditions, so they never got above 95, even downhill. We also had them in Alaska, but there wasn't a lot of room to get them up to breakneck speeds, though I once went to a help-the-officer call at 90mph in a blizzard...I'll attach a picture to illustrate the joys of that.

Rode with a CHP officer once on a SET (special enforcement teams) detail, in his Camaro...We went up to the bad side of 130 chasing two guys who were racing on the highway...Passed them and then blocked both lanes and forced them to pull over. Fun times.

Danger, Wilrobnson, Danger!!
      Attached Files
      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
      -Lieutenant Commander Data
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
        Danger, Wilrobnson, Danger!!
        Hahahaha, now that's funny.
        10-8

Comment

The fastest I ever dared to go was 104 and only for a few seconds. The car felt like it was going to shake apart.

I really dislike speeding on duty. It means one of two things:
          1) Somebody calling for emergency backup doesn't know how to stay out of harm's way.
          or 2) We have way too many assignments to do, more than can humanly be done.

Strangely enough though, I have never been cited for speeding on duty. In fact, I have had a couple of incidents happen where the police were running next to me and ahead of me with the red lights and sirens on.

I did have a strange problem in a couple of suburban cities a couple of years ago, though, where they would be following anybody from a security company around and look for a reason to pull us over, especially if it was an ugly pickup truck. The traffic stop would always start the same way. After following for a couple of miles they would pull one over for not using a turn signal from enough distance or for having one of those little lightbulbs out over the back license plate. Then the question got asked "what are you doing in my city?" If we were armed, they would be asking questions like "do you have a weapon? Is it loaded? Why is it loaded? Did you get a letter of permission from our civil engineer?" All these retarded questions, none of which had to do with traffic violations, suspicion of a criminal violation, or even just to check our pocket cards.
          This stuff was totally uncalled for since it has nothing to do with the laws governing security. I honestly think they did not know what the law said. I spent 15 minutes talking to one of them one time and showed several pages from the criminal law book regarding what my job was and I never got bothered again.
          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
            The fastest I ever dared to go was 104 and only for a few seconds. The car felt like it was going to shake apart.

I really dislike speeding on duty. It means one of two things:
            1) Somebody calling for emergency backup doesn't know how to stay out of harm's way.
            or 2) We have way too many assignments to do, more than can humanly be done.

Strangely enough though, I have never been cited for speeding on duty. In fact, I have had a couple of incidents happen where the police were running next to me and ahead of me with the red lights and sirens on.

I did have a strange problem in a couple of suburban cities a couple of years ago, though, where they would be following anybody from a security company around and look for a reason to pull us over, especially if it was an ugly pickup truck. The traffic stop would always start the same way. After following for a couple of miles they would pull one over for not using a turn signal from enough distance or for having one of those little lightbulbs out over the back license plate. Then the question got asked "what are you doing in my city?" If we were armed, they would be asking questions like "do you have a weapon? Is it loaded? Why is it loaded? Did you get a letter of permission from our civil engineer?" All these retarded questions, none of which had to do with traffic violations, suspicion of a criminal violation, or even just to check our pocket cards.
            This stuff was totally uncalled for since it has nothing to do with the laws governing security. I honestly think they did not know what the law said. I spent 15 minutes talking to one of them one time and showed several pages from the criminal law book regarding what my job was and I never got bothered again.
            "I need you to understand that you are on a dash camera with wireless audio, that I cannot turn off, and that these questions you are asking me are being recorded, sent over the internet to my company's office, and a dispatcher is listening to our conversation at this time."
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              "I need you to understand that you are on a dash camera with wireless audio, that I cannot turn off, and that these questions you are asking me are being recorded, sent over the internet to my company's office, and a dispatcher is listening to our conversation at this time."
              Swweeeeettttt.
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

N.A.
                Now that is truly the "coup de main" for the questioner.
                You, sir, are to be congratulated!
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Now I just have to figure out how to do it, on the cheap.

Btw, the reason its doing "wireless internet," and not being recorded, is because in most states, a law enforcement officer CAN order you to turn your recording device off during his investigation.

Wisconsin is a state that resisting unlawful orders is still unlawful. So, if you refuse to do this, you can then be charged with failure to obey a lawful order, and the officer can physically make you turn it off. The first charge won't stick, but the failure to obey a lawful order WILL.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

That would be wonderful. If only the company would pay for such equipment.

I'm thinking of getting one of these, just like another person I used to work with: a vhs camcorder that can mount on the dash and plug into the cigar plug with an adapter. The guy I know of who had that would keep the thing on record for the whole 8 hours he worked (12 in my case) and swap tapes out every other week. Any contacts he made were recorded and anything he was a witness to was also recorded. The few times people were abusive to him or wanted to create bogus complaints he was able to nullify the situation. The arrests he made were also never invalidated.

The last time I checked, they were more compact and more affordable than the larger ones that costed around $500 ten years ago.
                    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

That would be wonderful. If only the company would pay for such equipment.

I'm thinking of getting one of these, just like another person I used to work with: a vhs camcorder that can mount on the dash and plug into the cigar plug with an adapter. The guy I know of who had that would keep the thing on record for the whole 8 hours he worked (12 in my case) and swap tapes out every other week. Any contacts he made were recorded and anything he was a witness to was also recorded. The few times people were abusive to him or wanted to create bogus complaints he was able to nullify the situation. The arrests he made were also never invalidated.

The last time I checked, they were more compact and more affordable than the larger ones that costed around $500 ten years ago.
                      You can pick up a Mini-DV unit for about 250-500 now days. Less on eBay. When I think of "in-car video," I think more about a baby PC in the trunk with a hard drive, a video in card, and a cheap coaxial camera, with a Nextel or Edge modem attached. Some attempt, at least, to maintain chain of evidence.

Comment

just like another person I used to work with: a vhs camcorder that can mount on the dash and plug into the cigar plug with an adapter. The guy I know of who had that would keep the thing on record for the whole 8 hours he worked (12 in my case) and swap tapes out every other week. Any contacts he made were recorded and anything he was a witness to was also recorded. The few times people were abusive to him or wanted to create bogus complaints he was able to nullify the situation. The arrests he made were also never invalidated.
                        When I ran as a volunteer firefighter I kept a VHS camera mounted on the dash of my POV. Whenever I left my driveway for a call I hit the RECORD button before turning on my lights and siren and responding. Once on scene I would shut off the siren then the camera. The camera saved me on TWO occasions when someone with a grudge wanted to make a complaint regarding VFD Firefighters speeding and operating recklessly. In both cases I took the tape to the fire station and popped them in the VCR to review with my Chief. Each time the tapes proved that I was never operating outside our department policies and I wasn't "running people off the road" as was stated in the complaints. I am no longer a member of the VFD but I still have a camcorder on my dash and run it quite a bit during commutes. I've caught lots of near misses, people nearly running ME off the road and some great examples of people running red lights and stop signs. I recommend having dash cams.

Photo is of the dash of my POV from about 13 months ago. Dash Strobe, GPS receiver and VHS camera shown.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                          When I ran as a volunteer firefighter I kept a VHS camera mounted on the dash of my POV. Whenever I left my driveway for a call I hit the RECORD button before turning on my lights and siren and responding. Once on scene I would shut off the siren then the camera. The camera saved me on TWO occasions when someone with a grudge wanted to make a complaint regarding VFD Firefighters speeding and operating recklessly. In both cases I took the tape to the fire station and popped them in the VCR to review with my Chief. Each time the tapes proved that I was never operating outside our department policies and I wasn't "running people off the road" as was stated in the complaints. I am no longer a member of the VFD but I still have a camcorder on my dash and run it quite a bit during commutes. I've caught lots of near misses, people nearly running ME off the road and some great examples of people running red lights and stop signs. I recommend having dash cams.

Photo is of the dash of my POV from about 13 months ago. Dash Strobe, GPS receiver and VHS camera shown.
                          Ah, the familiar cockpit of a Chevy Lumina. I drove those on duty a few years ago. The V6 hauled some pretty serious ass really. Definitely not my favorite car for patrol though.

Sorry, not related to the topic, it just brought back memories.
                          10-8

Comment

Now I just have to figure out how to do it, on the cheap.
                            Please DON'T use the Martel system...It sucks. See my rant on O.com for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
                              Please DON'T use the Martel system...It sucks. See my rant on O.com for more info.
                              That is my twin brother's name. LOL He is a cop too (we used to work for the same dept).
                              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                              -Lieutenant Commander Data
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taser
                                Ah, the familiar cockpit of a Chevy Lumina. I drove those on duty a few years ago. The V6 hauled some pretty serious ass really. Definitely not my favorite car for patrol though.

Sorry, not related to the topic, it just brought back memories.
                                Well, while we are off topic....
                                Yep it's a pretty nice car. I've got the 1997 model and my lady has the 1995 model. The GPS is hooked up to the Kenwood TM-D700 VHF/UHF radio in the car. You can see display for the radio between the Cellphone and the steering wheel in the photo. I run Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) which is the ham radio version of fleettracking. Whenever the car moves within a coverage area it's position is tracked and data such as direction of travel, speed and status are transmitted. Want to see where it is now?
                                Clicky-> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=kc5sas
                                Of course there are thousands of Hams using APRS.
                                You can learn more about APRS including seeing a few DOS maps with activity at- http://www.aprs.net/ . For a better java map which shows details to street level you can click on- http://www.aprsfl.net/javaprs.html .
                                My old lady always know where I am.

Back, on topic...
                                I've never been pulled over in a company vehicle but have been in my POV because some over zealous cop thought I might be the Baton Rouge serial Killer.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X