Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Study help

    OK, before I start looking hard for a new job, I'm trying to convice my boss to bring a few ideas to the attention of the client contact. Basically, I can't complain, gripe, or moan about anything at work unless I already have an answer of how to fix the problem (thats my own personal motto). So I'm trying to put together something to present to the boss that will help with the following (in priority order)

    Uniforms-currently wear 3 piece suits, but walk about 2 to 3 miles per shift, a patrol uniform would be nice to wear, something just a little more comfy (I work 2nd shift)

    A new template for allowing visitors in- right now all we say is "do you have a meeting?" if someone says yes we send them in (not a good idea for a World Headquarters that does $3 mil with the Goverment (makes parts for HUMMERS) and $156M operating budget yearly)

    Personal Protective Equipment (baton, spray, even a firearm)- the contract is in a high crime area of the city, I've only worked there a couple months and have already written reports about shots fired in the area. Plus, its not just business guys and gals, its a factory setting also.

    My request is if anyone has had to deal with these problems and have studied and presented solutions for it, could you just post some stuff to get me going in the right direction? I've already found crime maps for the surrounding square mile and those def. will be part of my presentation. The biggest one for me is getting new uniforms. Its a baby step, but probably will open the door for new ideas to pour through. Thanks all!

  • #2
    Originally posted by ff000525
    OK, before I start looking hard for a new job, I'm trying to convice my boss to bring a few ideas to the attention of the client contact. Basically, I can't complain, gripe, or moan about anything at work unless I already have an answer of how to fix the problem (thats my own personal motto). So I'm trying to put together something to present to the boss that will help with the following (in priority order)

    Uniforms-currently wear 3 piece suits, but walk about 2 to 3 miles per shift, a patrol uniform would be nice to wear, something just a little more comfy (I work 2nd shift)

    A new template for allowing visitors in- right now all we say is "do you have a meeting?" if someone says yes we send them in (not a good idea for a World Headquarters that does $3 mil with the Goverment (makes parts for HUMMERS) and $156M operating budget yearly)

    Personal Protective Equipment (baton, spray, even a firearm)- the contract is in a high crime area of the city, I've only worked there a couple months and have already written reports about shots fired in the area. Plus, its not just business guys and gals, its a factory setting also.

    My request is if anyone has had to deal with these problems and have studied and presented solutions for it, could you just post some stuff to get me going in the right direction? I've already found crime maps for the surrounding square mile and those def. will be part of my presentation. The biggest one for me is getting new uniforms. Its a baby step, but probably will open the door for new ideas to pour through. Thanks all!
    Out of all of that, the hardest ones will be PPE and uniforms. Your client most likely speficied suits, for whatever reason. PM me with who you work for, if you can, it'll help figure out their motivation for your three piece suits. You obviously have some kind of company patch on your blazer, because you'd be a PI otherwise.

    Another big thing is that for you to carry PPE, your contract HAS to specify that your there to protect people, and not just property. The insurance carrier will go through the roof if your armed in any way, and they were told that your not there to confront anyone, and will refer all issues to the police. Ie: No "You need to leave, sir." Its easier for a company to state, "The guard overstepped the bounds of the contract, he was not authorized to confront anyone" if your NOT equipped with dangerous devices.

    Second, you'd need a duty rig to carry a weapon in Wisconsin. You can't carry a baton concealed, nor can you carry a real can of OC concealed. The firearm is out of the question, obviously. This means you'd need a real uniform.

    It sounds like the client requires "concerge services," and not security. Are your duties primarly showing people around, while screening guests? If so, that's why your wearing a suit. The concept is to prevent people becoming associated with an image of "this place needs guards," and more, "Oh, its a helpful man in a suit who's the secretary/receptionist." You just happen to hit key clocks (perhaps) and patrol the area in between secretarial/receptionist duties.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh, I stated all that without actually offering any solutions.

      Lets get more information on your duties, and then we can figure out if getting a uniform change, PPE, and a change of policy countermands the duties outlaid in the contract.

      As far as the third, the easiest way to change policy is a professional written proposal submitted to the branch office. If you want to be a sneaky bastard, CC a copy to the client representative. This way, the CLIENT demands it, and its done automatically.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Oh, I stated all that without actually offering any solutions.

        Lets get more information on your duties, and then we can figure out if getting a uniform change, PPE, and a change of policy countermands the duties outlaid in the contract.

        As far as the third, the easiest way to change policy is a professional written proposal submitted to the branch office. If you want to be a sneaky bastard, CC a copy to the client representative. This way, the CLIENT demands it, and its done automatically.
        Young man, I knew there must be a good reason why I liked you, you're devious and in such good form. Good man!
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bill Warnock
          Young man, I knew there must be a good reason why I liked you, you're devious and in such good form. Good man!
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill
          You have to be able to weather the storm of breaching chain of command, and pray no egos are bruised, though. If your solution costs more money than previously expended by the company, its time to move on, before they move you on.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment

          Leaderboard

          Collapse
          Working...
          X