Securitas Heist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securitas Heist

Time for a little "Monday morning quarterbacking." What do you think should have been done differently to prevent the record cash heist that happened?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

HHHMMM..... From the articale it seemed pretty well thought out. I couldn't say what was done wrong since it was done in a different country, but I"m sure there's a lot that can be learned and done here in the US to prevent it from happening. The same thing actually happened here in SE WI, (on a much smaller scale) where a bank manager was kidnapped and taken to his bank where the BG's made off with like $30,000 or something like that. NA, if you read this, this would be a great selling point to bank exec.'s for service patrols in thier neighborhoods.

Comment

Oh, I read everything. I call it boredom.

Seriously, though, a good thing(tm) is to provide uniformed or non-uniformed protective services to bank management on a temporary basis when management has a feeling something is up.

I somehow doubt, however, that this perticular depot manager knew anything was up.

Lets face it. They took out 9 employees, some armed. I have a feeling, in the UK, armed does not mean "has a .38 revolver."

People have been systematically targeting Securitas for awhile in England and Euroupe. From roadside IEDs to destroy the outer armor of the truck, to depot hits now. They've already spun off their courier and guard services.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        People have been systematically targeting Securitas for awhile in England and Euroupe.
        I can see why, if my experience with Securitas in the UK was typical. I went to London in October 2005 for a quick vacation and to see the 200th Anniversary of Trafalgar celebrations.

When I visited Westminster Abbey there were two Securitas guards on duty at the entrance screening people for weapons and the like with a hand-held metal detector. Both guards looked like 10 pounds of sh!t stuffed into a 5 pound bag! Their uniforms were wrinkled, worn, frayed, and did not fit them properly. The guard who checked me kept looking down at the ground and not directly at me. He mumbled his instructions to me, and I was never told to empty my pockets. Finally, he gave me a quick and half-assed pass with the metal detector and only around the area of my waist. These two made great representatives not only of UK security in general, but the level of protection visitors can expect at the Abbey!

Now, in all fairness, the Abbey is directly across the street from Parliament. Parliament had a HEAVY police presence, and the all the uniformed Metropolitan Police Constable?s I saw were ARMED not only with a pistol but with an assault rifle as well. If something went down at the Abbey these armed PC's could have been on-scene in a matter of seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
          I can see why, if my experience with Securitas in the UK was typical. I went to London in October 2005 for a quick vacation and to see the 200th Anniversary of Trafalgar celebrations.

When I visited Westminster Abbey there were two Securitas guards on duty at the entrance screening people for weapons and the like with a hand-held metal detector. Both guards looked like 10 pounds of sh!t stuffed into a 5 pound bag! Their uniforms were wrinkled, worn, frayed, and did not fit them properly. The guard who checked me kept looking down at the ground and not directly at me. He mumbled his instructions to me, and I was never told to empty my pockets. Finally, he gave me a quick and half-assed pass with the metal detector and only around the area of my waist. These two made great representatives not only of UK security in general, but the level of protection visitors can expect at the Abbey!

Now, in all fairness, the Abbey is directly across the street from Parliament. Parliament had a HEAVY police presence, and the all the uniformed Metropolitan Police Constable?s I saw were ARMED not only with a pistol but with an assault rifle as well. If something went down at the Abbey these armed PC's could have been on-scene in a matter of seconds.
          COuld of they of left their posts, is the question? The PCs, I mean.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            COuld of they of left their posts, is the question? The PCs, I mean.
            Probably not the ones manning fixed posts, but most of the PC's I saw around Parliament were walking around.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't give two rats asses how much money some bank exec. offered me, I will NOT do bank security! For one simple reason....self-preservation. When a heist goes down, it's always the bank guard that gets taken out FIRST.
              "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinite
                Personally, I wouldn't give two rats asses how much money some bank exec. offered me, I will NOT do bank security! For one simple reason....self-preservation. When a heist goes down, it's always the bank guard that gets taken out FIRST.
                Amen to that... I am very adamant about avoiding any kind of security where I am directly responsible for money. I will NEVER work in an armored car, nor will I work for an extended period in a bank. Sure, if we had a rash of armed robberies and our company was hired temporarily to provide armed bank security, then... maybe.
                "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
                  Amen to that... I am very adamant about avoiding any kind of security where I am directly responsible for money. I will NEVER work in an armored car, nor will I work for an extended period in a bank. Sure, if we had a rash of armed robberies and our company was hired temporarily to provide armed bank security, then... maybe.
                  In the cash handling business, it's not the outside threat that concerns me. I'd be more concerned about an inside job. If you can't trust your coworkers, what chance do you have? Not only will they "get the drop on you," chances are they can't afford to let you live because you know them. The only way I would work bank security is in plain clothes and unarmed. My objective would be to watch for suspicious activity in a location where I could trigger a silent alarm if I discerned a robbery was in progress.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X