X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federalization/Regulations

All-

I base my assumptions (federal regulation) on the events of the past and present. The United States will be attacked again. The next attack will most likely result in the loss of not 3000 lives, but 20,000-30,000. The terrorists (badguys)/threats that the U.S. faces in this post 9/11 era are patient, intelligent, and cunning.
    When I left the Marine Corps in 1990 and entered law enforcement, you could not have convinced me that private security would be assuming traditional police roles (prisoner transport for local governments, courtroom security, transit police services, and an increase in the protection of critical infrastructure- and not just by the large corporations). Law enforcement will continue to give up additional roles, and our industry (as local governments are begining to realize) is a huge untapped resource. No, the change will not happen overnight. Yes, the states will fight the change. However, what other industry is there to take the torch?
    Below are links to some interesting information:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/RL32670.pdf

http://www.independent.org/publicati...&articleID=382

http://www.ncpa.org/~ncpa/studies/s181/s181e.html

Comment

USA Today, the Washington Post, Newsweek, etc. have all covered this, most likely after the FAS report. In these editorials and articles, they ask interesting questions, but aren't so quick to condem the industry as our local media is.

Why aren't these people trained?
      Why are they allowed to protect public places such as malls and grocery stores and wal-marts without training?
      Why aren't there background checks?
      Why doesn't the state legislatures protect the public from inadequate training?

The big three, of course, were quoted saying, (paraphrased) "This is ludicrious. A guard watching a construction site dosen't need the same level of training as a guard watching a mall." The point he was making is obvious: We will resist any efforts to make training a requirement, as we'd have to train guards and it costs us money to do so.

I'm reading the FAS report right now.

Interesting how National Strategy (P.L. 107-56) notes that banking and finance, information technology, and large gathering places are all infrastructure sites.

Up here, fairs and stuff have their own police departments. (That's right, the Kenosha County Fair is protected by the Kenosha County Fair Police Department. No, I don't know how many officers it has. We have 100,000 residents. Local and County police also are deployed.) I'm unsure if they consider a "mall" as a large gathering place, though.
      Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 02-24-2006, 02:07 PM.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Up here, fairs and stuff have their own police departments. (That's right, the Kenosha County Fair is protected by the Kenosha County Fair Police Department.
        The California State Fair has the California State Fair Police Department. I know they have a small number of regular, full-time cops who work year round and they have a large number of "seasonal" cops who only work during the fair.

The Los Angeles County Fair used to have it's own police department also, but they got disbanded sometime in the 1980's. They now contract with Securitas (god help them). I know that during the fair the Pomona and La Verne Police Departments, within whose jurisdictions the fair lies, have a heavy uniformed presence along with Los Angeles County Sheriff deputies.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
          The California State Fair has the California State Fair Police Department. I know they have a small number of regular, full-time cops who work year round and they have a large number of "seasonal" cops who only work during the fair.

The Los Angeles County Fair used to have it's own police department also, but they got disbanded sometime in the 1980's. They now contract with Securitas (god help them). I know that during the fair the Pomona and La Verne Police Departments, within whose jurisdictions the fair lies, have a heavy uniformed presence along with Los Angeles County Sheriff deputies.
          It just amuses me that a fair that draws less then 25,000 people has its own full time police department, but still needs the city and county police there.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71 View Post

at na sorry for reopening this
            but does any one have pics of the los angeles fair police before they wehn with licoln and securitas
            if you run, you will just go to jail tired

Comment

Originally posted by airtight security officer View Post
              at na sorry for reopening this
              but does any one have pics of the los angeles fair police before they wehn with licoln and securitas
              Wow! Opening up a 5 year old thread. I don't think most of the original posters are still around.

BTW I'm usually not tough on spelling, grammar & punctation but you suck
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Too bad, I saw the thread title hoping that there was a development to this.
                Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Problem Solved. This question could have, should have, been put in a new post.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X