What is the goverment doing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the goverment doing

In the news today, major ports are in the process of being sold to foreign goverment companies.
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/13920987.htm

The administration doesn't detect a security threat, hm?
    Which country is this again? The United Emirate Arab States of America?
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

HHHMMM, and they're going to be in charge of Security in those ports? Seems like an easy way to ship stuff in, bad stuff. I'm not against Capitization and making money, but the goverment should not be relinquishing control of ports to an Arab country right now. Do you think that when there was inklings that we were going to war with Iraq that Saddam would've let us buy a shipping port along the Euphrates? At least Wisconsin is cold and really of no significant tactical value.........

Comment

Yes it is. Where we are.

Zion Nuclear Power Station
        City of Chicago
        O'Hare International Airport

We are within the terminal effective range (> 9 miles) of a contamination incident at Zion. We are within the maximum range of a tactical nuclear weapon detonated at Navy Pier (For radiation exposure, not overpressure or blast effect). Same with O'Hare.

We are also, whee, one of those suburbs for terrorists to "requisition" EMS and fire equipment from by force to use in anti-infrastructure attacks.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Point taken NA, plus I hear of talk of a Nuke Plant going up in Oak Creek. Weee, right in the middle huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ff000525
            Point taken NA, plus I hear of talk of a Nuke Plant going up in Oak Creek. Weee, right in the middle huh?
            WE Energies, or another utility company? I wonder if WE is in-house, or if they use one of the big five for the nuclear security force.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Just reinforces the fact that our govt. has no idea of how to protect our country.

Comment

Every forum I go to has had a thread on this subject. Obviously everyone has some strong opinions on the subject. I think it's best to keep things in perspective and not let the media spin cause everyone to jump up and scream "WTF?!?" . Reading through many posts in different forums I found one that summed things up pretty well for me. I'd like to share it here with this group in hopes of adding a easily understood explination to the discussion.
                Here it is...-
                -----------
                Okay kids, enough of the emotions. Here are some straight facts. No foreign country owns any part of these ports. These ports are like any airport. Owned by Americans and run by Americans. The terminals in these ports are LEASED to companies who are in the shipping business. Very similar to an airport LEASING gates to airlines. Emerates Airlines (a company owned by the UAE) has gates in JFK as well as other airports in the US. If Emerates Airlines were to buy British Airways, for example, they would then assume the leases for ALL of British Airway's gates in ALL US airports. That set aside, what is happening here is nothing more than the sale of a company. It is a British owned company that is being sold to a UAE owned company. This British company does most of it's business in these six ports. With the sale of the company also comes the TRANSFER of the leases for the terminals in these ports. The media makes it sound like a bunch of arabs are going to come over here and take over the day to day operations of these ports. That's just NOT true. Take, for example, the port in Newark NJ. This particular port is OWNED by the Port Authourity of NY/NJ. The Port Authourity (and it's American employees) run the day to day operations including the inspection of ships and cargo both arriving and leaving the port. Our national security will be no more or less at risk no matter who LEASES terminals in any given port. Now you may not like George W. Bush, but don't let inaccurate information lead you to having an opinion that's based on emotion rather than fact. But that's just a NOOB'S point of view.
                -------------------

That's it. Makes since to me. Let the discussion continue.
                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I've read that the UAE would be responsible as the client for providing port security. I have to wonder if they would change their security operations, and if so, could they use their client status to have "terrorist" elements or whomever infiltrate the companies they contract to provide security.

The traditional "YOu have to hire these guards if you take our contract, or else" that we see all the time has new meaning when they're foreign nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                    Every forum I go to has had a thread on this subject. Obviously everyone has some strong opinions on the subject. I think it's best to keep things in perspective and not let the media spin cause everyone to jump up and scream "WTF?!?" . Reading through many posts in different forums I found one that summed things up pretty well for me. I'd like to share it here with this group in hopes of adding a easily understood explination to the discussion.
                    Here it is...-
                    -----------
                    Okay kids, enough of the emotions. Here are some straight facts. No foreign country owns any part of these ports. These ports are like any airport. Owned by Americans and run by Americans. The terminals in these ports are LEASED to companies who are in the shipping business. Very similar to an airport LEASING gates to airlines. Emerates Airlines (a company owned by the UAE) has gates in JFK as well as other airports in the US. If Emerates Airlines were to buy British Airways, for example, they would then assume the leases for ALL of British Airway's gates in ALL US airports. That set aside, what is happening here is nothing more than the sale of a company. It is a British owned company that is being sold to a UAE owned company. This British company does most of it's business in these six ports. With the sale of the company also comes the TRANSFER of the leases for the terminals in these ports. The media makes it sound like a bunch of arabs are going to come over here and take over the day to day operations of these ports. That's just NOT true. Take, for example, the port in Newark NJ. This particular port is OWNED by the Port Authourity of NY/NJ. The Port Authourity (and it's American employees) run the day to day operations including the inspection of ships and cargo both arriving and leaving the port. Our national security will be no more or less at risk no matter who LEASES terminals in any given port. Now you may not like George W. Bush, but don't let inaccurate information lead you to having an opinion that's based on emotion rather than fact. But that's just a NOOB'S point of view.
                    -------------------

That's it. Makes since to me. Let the discussion continue.
                    And I'm pretty sure those are the facts of the matter. I can't believe this is such a big issue. People just don't get it.
                    10-8

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      I've read that the UAE would be responsible as the client for providing port security. I have to wonder if they would change their security operations, and if so, could they use their client status to have "terrorist" elements or whomever infiltrate the companies they contract to provide security.

The traditional "YOu have to hire these guards if you take our contract, or else" that we see all the time has new meaning when they're foreign nationals.
                      Coast Guard and Customs will still be in charge of security at the port and will still be present at all times.
                      10-8

Comment

Originally posted by Taser
                        Coast Guard and Customs will still be in charge of security at the port and will still be present at all times.
                        I've worked ports and petrochemical distribution hubs. I saw USCG inspectors about once every two months, maybe once every month if I was lucky. US Customs making an appearance was cause for concern.

Perhaps Port of Tampa was low priority. The Port itself had city security officers driving around in trucks with amber/amber light bars, and the Sheriff was tasked with port security on behalf of the county government. But, honestly, it was the private contractors with the petrochemical and utilities companies that were the actual protective force out there.

Comment

I'm confident...(I Hope)...that the US will still be in charge of security. But selling some shipping hubs to Arabs is like having the fox guard the henhouse.
                          This falls under the same category as why America doesnt like to pick their own cotton, or grow their own coffee beans...just good ol' outsourcing. And then this news report that said The President had no idea of this transaction????? GIMMIE AN F'ING BREAK!!!
                          I'm sure he has no idea of Area 51 either!
                          ..........OK, i'm done ranting...for now.
                          "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

There is no Area 51 and it is not guarded by a large Security firm that is routinely mentioned on this forum.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X