• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court security officers' paychecks bounce

Court security officers' paychecks bounce
    By MICHAEL HINKELMAN
    Philadelphia Daily News
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca...ks_bounce.html

The company that employed security officers at the Federal Courthouse here issued paychecks to officers that bounced when they tried to cash them last week.
    The company, USProtect, headquartered in Silver Spring, Md., is now being sued in federal bankruptcy court in Maryland.

USProtect provided security for a wide array of federal agencies, including the 3rd, 5th and 12th judicial districts. (The 3rd district includes all federal courts in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.)

The U.S. Marshals Service awarded a new contract for court security to Virginia-based MVM Inc. on Friday.

The contract's start date was accelerated, said Steve Blando, a spokesman for the Marshals Service in Washington, after authorities were unable to contact USProtect about payroll checks that bounced.

An official with the United Government Security Officers of America, the union that represents 690 federal court security officers - including about 80 in the Philadelphia region - said virtually all of the officers' paychecks bounced last week.

Donna Huff, who heads the union's court-security- officers division, said USProtect shuttered its doors on Thursday. She said the company last made contributions to the court-security-officers' retirement plan in January.

An attorney for USProtect could not be reached for comment.

Blando said MVM also agreed to make good on any back pay that court officers didn't receive from USProtect.

The payroll checks issued by USProtect to some court security officers here actually began bouncing last month.

When some of the officers took their paychecks to Wachovia Bank, they were told the checks could not be cashed due to insufficient funds.

The USProtect checks were drawn on a Wachovia account.

Wachovia filed a claim against USProtect yesterday in federal bankruptcy court in Maryland for $15.2 million in unpaid business debts.

A spokeswoman for Wachovia said the company doesn't comment on customer relationships.

Two other petitioners also filed claims - in excess of $981,000 - for unpaid wages and retirement benefits.

USProtect won the $300-million contract to handle court security in the three judicial districts in September 2006.

The company has been under increased scrutiny in the media since its former chief operating officer and chief financial officer, Richard S. Hudec, pleaded guilty last November in federal district court in Maryland to tax evasion and concealing material information from federal contracting officials about his criminal past. *

US Protect had some good USAF contracts. A couple freinds and I worked a short time at a SpecOp assignment for them. The people they had in management were idiots. Turnover was totaly beyond belief. We didn't take a second assignment with them.

Comment

Gee, maybe our company can get those contracts. But then again, we are under bankruptcy protection, and our management seems to be a bunch of ... Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
        Gee, maybe our company can get those contracts. But then again, we are under bankruptcy protection, and our management seems to be a bunch of ... Never mind.
        That seems to be a common theme...
        "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

I don't get it. My last security job was at a courthouse. But the security company was always late w/ their pay. Many people had quit due to this. But the couret kept their contract, knowing that s/o's were getting screwd.
          THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I guess the company that had the federal contract here before the current company also used to bounce their checks to the officers. I am told the supervisor used to run to the bank as soon as the checks arrived to make sure his check cleared first.

I don't understand it. So many security companies with government contracts seem unable to maintain a proper cash flow. So many of them seem to go into bankruptcy.

So many of them seem to not have proper oversight,

Comment

I think the don't know how to balance a checkbook,or they are too big of a hurry to outbid someone else. I think they ought to held more accountable.
              I think the division of licensing ought to regulate that,and pull their license if they do bounce...b/c it's a criminal offense.
              THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Bouncing checks..

I had a check bounce before I worked security. I went up to accounting and explained myself to the office people. The head monkey told me that it would be a few days. Not acceptable in light of car notes, insurance, etc. I explained that that was not an acceptable answer. I then drove across town to the CFO's office and walked in to speak with him. His assistant told me he was unavailable, but I walked in to speak to him. He apologized profusely and later that day had the money in my account. "Clerical error" my arse...

Comment

I suggested direct deposit. I was told some officers can't have a bank account apparently after bouncing so many checks,the bank won't let u have an account.duh but I think it was an excuse on behalf of the company.

Comment

Hence why direct debit into a bank account is the only way to go. Sorry people but the 1980's are over and cheques are so outdated now. Yes I know some people are so stuck in the past and don't have bank accounts, well perhaps it is time to get into this millenium and stop hiding money under the mattress.

But if the funds are not there ............ it makes no difference.

At 1 contract IT investigator's role, my 13 week contract was cut after 6.8 weeks and I had not been paid yet. I was told I would be paid in 30 days (I was paid as an employee) so was furious. I stormed into the agency's corporate office and asked to see someone from Accounts about my missing wages. I waited 2 hours and being hungry ordered PizzaHut to the corporate floor. The CEO came out to ask what I wanted and I explained everything as she promised to return shortly. I received 2 cheques - 1 for full payment and a pro-rata payment of the remaining weeks as the contract cancellation did not give sufficient notice.

Having run my own company, I recall a few times where slack clients left me with a few hundred in the bank as wages, taxes, bills and insurance costs all hit me at once (pay the wages first) and a day later I was floating on $100k or so balance as cheques were slow coming in (even the small amounts soon add up). After the 3rd time, I made sure we had 2 accounts working for us - wages and employee expenses plus general trading account. Not paying your staff once makes you angry - not doing it a few times makes them walk off the job.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I saw the former US Protect guards at the federal building in downtown L.A. (My employer has two accounts there)today when I noticed that they were wearing mixed matched security uniforms. I spoke with one of the guards who filled me in on the whole situation...WOW!!! From what he told me, the new security company (Can't remember the name) isn't treating them any better. I was told that if the new company doesn't pay them by the 1st of April, there would be a mass exodus.....
                      The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

www.patrol4u.com

sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X