Hypothetical Scenario - Need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Justice_Hound View Post
    As a former Alcoholic Beverage Enforcement Investigator in Alaska I can assure you that a security guard employed by a Bar can legally carry on a lic. premises, if the guard does not consume any alcoholic beverages.

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 states that it is a defense if the defendant, at the time of the possession (of the firearm), was on business premises-
    (A) Owned by or lease by the defendant; or
    (B) In the course of the defendant's employment for the owner or lessee of the premises.

I know of at least 4 seperate Bars/nightclubs in Anchorage and Fairbanks that have armed concealed carry security officers.
    We should have a forum for just former 'Liquor Agents' (just kidding) - I was one in Ohio (70s). In Ohio, when I made an arrest in a bar, I often found myself out-guned.

Darkenna - I read your comment, with interest, of Liquor Agents and your experience with them.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• Did you have a covert look of the chocolate brown velvet suit with the compulsory Afro and sideburns ? More gold chains than Bevilles ?

Zero alcohol for anyone with a firearm and security is zero alcohol as well.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

• No, I probably looked just like you. Except you probably were not born yet.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• Ah, the State Liquor Commission...

Curt, I've had the very good fortune of being on great terms with my local Liquor Commissioners, who have never found fault with the way my teams operate and absolutely adore my Bar Security SOP leaflet. But I have been present many times when they thought they found something questionable and tore into it like a rabid rottweiller. Very, very thorough people, and more than willing to take the time to examine every minute detail they can find. Great investigators; but also always 100% convinced they are going to find something illegal or not up to code, and never really happy when they don't. I've actually been threatened with arrest by an LC when he didn't find what had been reported was going on in my bar (which wasn't actually going on), because he was irritated that it wasn't and was damned if he wasn't going to make sure I knew how powerful he was. It's a unique situation; Commissioners are Peace Officers in this state, but are limited to where their powers apply. On the street, they have limited authority unless they suspect alcohol is involved in an instance. You get one inside a bar or on State Liquor Store property, or anywhere else where alcohol is stored/made/sold/used, however, and they are virtually gods.
          "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

• I'm happy to say that I never conducted myself like that in my time as a Police Officer, Liquor Agent, or in any other profession. I was the one, when entering a heated situation, that was the calming effect. No need or purpose to act differently. You are right about the enormous powers given to a liquor agents - but no need to act like you have it. The powers of arrest, as you described, were the same as in Ohio. Plus we did not need to get search warrants.

Comment

• Glad to hear it; I wouldn't want my shining image of you and those others I look up to tarnished by something like that.

The LC in NH is usually used as the second step between intro investigative work, like LP, and getting on full-time with a police force in the state. Most of the Investigators are young, proud, arrogant, and still have that "I just graduated from a police academy" sheen to them. It's that new-found feeling of authority and power, and it's heady. And, just like in LP, most of them don't stay around long enough to develop that calmer experienced nature. More's the pity; most of the ones I've run across are damned fine investigators, and would be much more effective if they learned to be a little more diplomatic.

Up here, a beverage/wine/liquor license is actually owned by the state, which gives them a sort of partial-interest in any business which has one. As the state does not need a warrant to look into and inspect matters within its own house, it does not need one to look into and inspect matters in any business with such a license. It actually states so on the the license itself. It's an interesting arrangement which gives the LC the authority of acting under an open-ended search warrant anytime they step into a licensed premises.
              "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                I thought you said you worked a construction site in the flashlight thread?

I work multiple posts. Part of the reason I can't wait to tell my current employer to kiss off. Had an interview today that went well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                  We should have a forum for just former 'Liquor Agents' (just kidding) - I was one in Ohio (70s). In Ohio, when I made an arrest in a bar, I often found myself out-guned.

Darkenna - I read your comment, with interest, of Liquor Agents and your experience with them.
                  Tell me about it, when we traveled in to the more rural bush areas of my great state we had to watch ourselves pretty well. Interdicting alcohol smugglers running booze into dry villages along the Yukon river was one of the scariest situations that we ran into. Pretty much EVERYONE in the bush is packing heat so we definately geared up for war Lucky for us, most of the time the Troopers backed us up with patrol officers or their SERT team.

I definately didn't get payed enough in that job.

Justice_Hound
                  LP Manager
                  We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
                  -George Orwell

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                    No, I probably looked just like you. Except you probably were not born yet.
                    Ha Ha ......... no `Dad` I was born just before Armstrong landed on the moon and grew up on the Bionic Man and SWAT. I thought Deke was a cool dude back then !!
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

• Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                      Ha Ha ......... no `Dad` I was born just before Armstrong landed on the moon and grew up on the Bionic Man and SWAT. I thought Deke was a cool dude back then !!
                      That's old enough for gray hair, baldness, and knee pain.
                      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                      -Lieutenant Commander Data
                      sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X