No announcement yet.

Security Guard Rapes Spring Breaker -- Then Pushes Her Over a 6th Floor Balcony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Guard Rapes Spring Breaker -- Then Pushes Her Over a 6th Floor Balcony

Security Guard Rapes Spring Breaker -- Then Pushes Her Over a 6th Floor Balcony

Balcony falls used to be a regular occurrence during Spring Break. But Panama City Beach police say the fall that happened early Tuesday morning, wasn’t the spring breaker’s fault. They say she was pushed after she was raped by a security guard.
    Police are looking for a man suspected of raping an 18 year old Tuscaloosa Alabama Spring Breaker and then pushing her off a sixth floor balcony. It happened early this morning at the Sandpiper Beacon Motel just past Highway 79 on Front Beach Road.
    Panama City Beach police have issued an arrest warrant for 29 year-old Shawn Wuertly. They say Wuertly is the man responsible for sexually battering an 18-year-old Spring Breaker from Tuscaloosa and then pushing her off the balcony around 1:00 Am Monday.
    Police originally thought the girl fell but witnesses have now come forward and say she was pushed.
    Police say Weurtly and the teenager did not know each other before she came to Panama City Beach but Weurtly apparently made contact with her several times. He works as a security guard at the Sandpiper Beacon and has been in town about 6 months.
    Major David Humphreys of the Beach Police says Weurtly’s name came up right away.
    "He was identified at the scene as a possible suspect. He was interviewed here at the Beach police department. There was not enough evidence to charge him at the time. When we gathered enough evidence we could not locate him. We had phone conversations with him and he indicated he was leaving the state"
    Beach Police took this picture of Wuertly Monday morning, when they first questioned him about the incident.
    They say he is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs about 180 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black jacket with a yellow shirt and woodland camouflage pants. Weurtly also has two visible tattoos on his neck.
    Humphreys says Weurtly does not have a car so he could possibly still be in the area although he told police he was going to visit family in Tennessee.
    So investigators have issued warrants for Wuertly’s arrest. He’s charged with attempted murder, sexual battery and false imprisonment. If you have any information about Shaun Wuertly, please call the Panama City Beach Police Department immediately at 850-233-5000.
    Wuertly is wanted on burglary charges in Indiana. In fact, he has several prior arrests in Indiana including an escape charge, burglary and intimidation.
    Doctors say the 18-year-old Tuscaloosa Alabama woman is in an improving condition. Her injuries are now classified as non-life threatening. She hit two rooftops during her fall, which police say may have prevented her from suffering more serious injuries.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Shoot I've worked that hotel during spring break a few years back. Let me tell ya, there are a couple fly by night companies that will hire any body that can breath and put them in a uniform during that time of year. Wackenhut has refused to do any hotels/condos on Panama City Beach during spring break. It's terrible down there.
    SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
      Shoot I've worked that hotel during spring break a few years back. Let me tell ya, there are a couple fly by night companies that will hire any body that can breath and put them in a uniform during that time of year. Wackenhut has refused to do any hotels/condos on Panama City Beach during spring break. It's terrible down there.
      Hes not a licensed officer according to DOACS website. he may be waiting on his license.

Comment

6 story fall and she's alive... someone's looking out for her.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog View Post
          Hes not a licensed officer according to DOACS website. he may be waiting on his license.
          That's what they do, put you through the D course, and put you to work within an hour of taking the test. As long as that application is in the mail. I worked a 15 hour night one time waiting on a guy to pass the test so he could come relieve me!

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
            6 story fall and she's alive... someone's looking out for her.
            What saved her was the hits on the lower roofs.

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
              What saved her was the hits on the lower roofs.
              People have tripped and fell and died because their head hit a curb. Lower roofs or not, she's lucky to be alive.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Those lower roofs are tiki style roofs. I've seen people hit em before, mess them up pretty bad but they survive. Including the jack ass that ran from us one time.

Comment

update

They caught the guy.

Suspect in Panama City Beach Attack Arrested

Authorities say a security guard at a Panama City hotel allegedly took a Tuscaloosa teenager into an empty room and sexually assaulted her then pushed her off a 6th floor balcony.
                  Panama City Beach Police say Shawn Wuertley, 29, was on duty when he allegedly took the Alabama girl, 18, into an empty room and assaulted her.

The two began to struggle and he pushed the girl over a sixth floor balcony of the sandpiper beacon beach resort.
                  She landed in a second-floor stairwell and suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries.
                  Tuesday afternoon, police say they arrested Wuertley in another area of Bay County.
                  He'll be booked on charges of attempted felony murder, sexual battery and false imprisonment.
                  It's not immediately known if he has a lawyer.
                  A background check later turned up an outstanding arrest warrant from Indiana on a burglary charge.
                  A supervisor at the Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort, where the girl was staying, declined to comment.
                  The victim is conscious and being treated for her injuries in the hospital.
                  Last edited by bigdog; 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM.

Comment

..And soon she will be th proud owner of a hotel...

Comment

Doubtful.

This isn't the first time this has happened in Panama City Beach. Matter of fact worse has happened. Yeah she may sue the hotel, but these hotels have some very good lawyers. Eventually she'll be convinced to take the nice little settlement offered to her.

PCB is a cess pool. I worked there one season and that was it. I won't do it again. One of my sayings was if a security officer had no morals at all, he could get as drunk as he wanted to, as high as he wanted to and laid as much as he could handle during an 8 hour shift there. Everyone is constantly trying to offer you something there. Including the women.

Luckily most of the hotels are being bought out tore down and condos going up. Thats going to kill PCB's Spring Break economy. Noone is going to want to spend 3000 a week for a condo. I personally think the condos are killing the beaches but if it gets rid of the drunks so be it.

Comment

It's a shame that this guy was allowed to work. What kind of recourse will there be for the company that contracted him? What about the hotel? Somebody needs to be dealt with and not just this a-hole...

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                          It's a shame that this guy was allowed to work. What kind of recourse will there be for the company that contracted him? What about the hotel? Somebody needs to be dealt with and not just this a-hole...
                          Does not Florida require licensing and background checks?
                          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                            Unfortunately nobody will be.

As soon as his license application is put in the mailbox he can legally start working. It could be months before he even gets his permanent license (my first D license took 9 months). Companies aren't required to do a background, to them the state does it so why spend the money? Sure they may check employment but that's it.

Granted my company does one. But your little mom and pop places usually don't.

Of course, let me back up here, this is all assuming he is even a contract officer! Now that I think of it, Sandpiper has in house I think, but they may supplement that with contract during the season, many places do.

If he is an in house officer, all bets are off. No licensing requirement needed at all. No state license means he isn't getting that background check done, and if the hotel doesn't do one (and I highly doubt it) then there's no telling who they might hire. I've seen some real thugs working some of those places, and some people I wouldn't classify as even being warm-bodied!

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                              Does not Florida require licensing and background checks?
                              I would hope so. TX sure does...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X