Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

duty ammo???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • duty ammo???

    fmj or controlled expansion bullets (hollowpoints).
    any legalities or thoughts.
    I'm in florida
    THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

  • #2
    duty ammo???

    Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
    fmj or controlled expansion bullets (hollowpoints).
    any legalities or thoughts.
    I'm in florida
    I believe this be cover before if not. You should go with Jhp.
    From a legal stand point FMJ will get you into a lawsuit in civil court. FMJs will over penetrate your target and hit innocent bystanders fellow officer.
    FMJ has a smaller wound track then a JHP so that mean you have shoot the target a few more times get same amount blood lost as a JHP.

    Hope this help make up your mind.
    CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594


    oh ya

    Comment


    • #3
      FMJ are only legal in semi-automatic pistols. Factory produced hollow points are what you need. If you have any questions ask bigdog or ask me. and if thats not good enough call the Palm beach county branch office for division of licensing. They will get you on the line with some one who can answer your questions.
      Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

      Comment


      • #4
        We're supposed to carry either Speer Gold Dot +P or Hydra Shocks +P in the 9mm or .40.
        I carry Speer Gold Dot 170 Grain jacketed soft points in my .357
        Last edited by Badge714; 03-18-2008, 08:35 AM.
        "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mad_malk View Post
          FMJ are only legal in semi-automatic pistols. Factory produced hollow points are what you need. If you have any questions ask bigdog or ask me. and if thats not good enough call the Palm beach county branch office for division of licensing. They will get you on the line with some one who can answer your questions.

          Or seeing as he is in Tallahassee he can call the Tallahassee office.

          I don't ever recall seeing anything that said FMJ is only legal in semi-auto pistols.

          Matter of fact the only thing I do recall seeing is that it had to be factory loaded and could not be reloads.

          Got a statute on that or was that something your K instructor told you?



          EDIT: Just perused 493 seeing as I have nothing better to do for the next 30 mins, and saw nothing at all pertaining to ammo except where it says that a .357 must be loaded with .38, if you have something else on paper let us know
          Last edited by gcmc security part 2; 03-18-2008, 08:31 AM. Reason: add info
          SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

          Comment


          • #6
            Authorized ammunition is in Florida Administrative Code, 7N I believe.

            Basically FMJs are 9mm only, Glaser/Prefrags are prohibited, and a slew of other rules.

            Oh, and you can only use wadcutters or semi-wadcutters while practicing, not working.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

            "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
              Or seeing as he is in Tallahassee he can call the Tallahassee office.

              I don't ever recall seeing anything that said FMJ is only legal in semi-auto pistols.

              Matter of fact the only thing I do recall seeing is that it had to be factory loaded and could not be reloads.

              Got a statute on that or was that something your K instructor told you?



              EDIT: Just perused 493 seeing as I have nothing better to do for the next 30 mins, and saw nothing at all pertaining to ammo except where it says that a .357 must be loaded with .38, if you have something else on paper let us know
              suggest you read this then.https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Chap...p?Chapter=5N-1
              look at ammunition
              here is that rule copy and pasted.
              5N-1.129 Ammunition.
              Licensed agencies shall allow licensed employees to use only factory ammunition of a type and load which is appropriate for the location and duty requirements of armed employees, not including the following types of ammunition which are prohibited:
              (1) Glaser‑type or any other pre‑fragmented type bullets.
              (2) Exploding bullets.
              (3) Full metal jacket (fmj)/full metal case (fmc) bullets (this can be used in semi‑automatic pistols only).
              (4) Teflon‑coated (ktw‑type) or any other type of armor piercing bullets.
              (5) Full wadcutter bullets (except on the firing range).
              (6) Reloaded ammunition (except on the firing range).
              Specific Authority 493.6103 FS. Law Implemented 493.6115(3), (4), (6) FS. History–New 11‑25‑92, Amended 5‑15‑95, Formerly 1C-3.129.
              Last edited by mad_malk; 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM.
              Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

              Comment


              • #8
                I use Corbon Powrball. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, here is some info on it.

                http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/powrball.htm

                BTW, where I work, officers are free to carry whatever duty weapon and ammo they choose.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok my weapon is a Glock 17 so I'm good to good. I bought a box of fmj fiocchi 9 mil.(see other post).But company pays 11.50/hour only 8 hours a week. and specify's everything to the name brand. They specified speer gold dot, and winchester ranger t model such n such. But after 5 stores,unable to locate their specified ammo.In fact, one (either speer or winchester) said they only sell theirs to LEO's. I've spent $900.00 plus and still gotta buy more. But it seems I can't get their authorized ammo.

                  Just curious why it would matter whether it's a 38 cal or 9 mil. full metal jacket. You would think they hold u liable for causing more damage...lol.


                  I'm about fed up,and ready to go back over the road driving trucks. This is the only thing I've seen paying over $8.00/hour as Armed.and has all these stipulations for part time 8 hours a week.
                  THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
                    Ok my weapon is a Glock 17 so I'm good to good. I bought a box of fmj fiocchi 9 mil.(see other post).But company pays 11.50/hour only 8 hours a week. and specify's everything to the name brand. They specified speer gold dot, and winchester ranger t model such n such. But after 5 stores,unable to locate their specified ammo.In fact, one (either speer or winchester) said they only sell theirs to LEO's. I've spent $900.00 plus and still gotta buy more. But it seems I can't get their authorized ammo.

                    Just curious why it would matter whether it's a 38 cal or 9 mil. full metal jacket. You would think they hold u liable for causing more damage...lol.


                    I'm about fed up,and ready to go back over the road driving trucks. This is the only thing I've seen paying over $8.00/hour as Armed.and has all these stipulations for part time 8 hours a week.

                    alot of times LEO restricted items can be bought by ARMED SECURITY, all ya need is a company letter head, company id or badge and a phone number they can verify with, and if they still have a problem selling ya the ammo i suggest calling your local sheriffs office and see if they will write a letter allowing you the purchase of said ammo.
                    Its not how we die that counts.....
                    Its not how we lived that counts....
                    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      10-4 copy thanks
                      THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Run what your company tells you to run if its specified.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
                          Ok my weapon is a Glock 17 so I'm good to good. I bought a box of fmj fiocchi 9 mil.(see other post).But company pays 11.50/hour only 8 hours a week. and specify's everything to the name brand. They specified speer gold dot, and winchester ranger t model such n such. But after 5 stores,unable to locate their specified ammo.In fact, one (either speer or winchester) said they only sell theirs to LEO's. I've spent $900.00 plus and still gotta buy more. But it seems I can't get their authorized ammo.

                          Just curious why it would matter whether it's a 38 cal or 9 mil. full metal jacket. You would think they hold u liable for causing more damage...lol.


                          I'm about fed up,and ready to go back over the road driving trucks. This is the only thing I've seen paying over $8.00/hour as Armed.and has all these stipulations for part time 8 hours a week.
                          FMJ are allowed in Semi autos only because some Semi autos won't feed any thing but hardball FMJ because the gun is cheap junk.
                          Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            couple things, speer gold dots can be found online at a number of sources, that might be a good place to look.

                            LE ammo is a manufaturer (sp) restriction in most states so you should be able to buy it at some place with a security ID card or as another person mentioned a company letterhead.

                            Next thing, as a glock armorer I would suggest you not use the Ficcochi (sp) ammo in your gun. The pressures that ammo is loaded to occationally is dangerously high to be shooting through a glock barrel. Most of the time you will not have any issues but the one time you do may be the time that you really need that shooter to run correctly.

                            Lastly, again on the ammo selection, for personal protection a high quality hollow-point bullet packed into good brass with quality powder should be the only way to go. The liability attached to a shoot through with crappy hollowpoints or FJM is to great, especially for a security officer.

                            Think about it, you shoot someone, you go under the microscope big time. You can expect nothing but 100% accountability placed on your shoulders. Even if your company backs you and provides you an attorney, who is that lawyer really looking out for? The Company first and foremost. If things start to sway in favor of the bad guy that you ventilated they will be looking for ways to distance the company from you ASAP.

                            Get good quality, factory loaded, brand name defensive ammo and you will negate all kinds of problems. Federal, Winchester, Speer, to name a few have many different combos that would work well. \

                            Think about your environment. are people wearing light, loose clothing? then whinchester silvertips might be a good choice, light and fast. It gets colder there sometimes, go with a sturdier round like federal HST's really good weight retention and wound characteristics.

                            Find out what the local cops carry and try to find that somewhere, it will answer a bunch of questions with one answer.
                            "why do you carry that type of ammo? Answer cuz that is what local law enforcement uses, if its good enough for them then it should be good enough for me."
                            Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As LiveNLearn noted, there is no such thing as "Law Enforcement Restricted" ammunition. There is:

                              Ammunition restricted from private possession by Federal Law (AP, etc)
                              Ammunition restricted from private possession by State Law (.50 BMG in CA)
                              Ammunition that is perfectly legal for you to purchase/possess.

                              Winchester Ranger XHT or whatever they're calling it these days is a perfect example. There is nothing illegal about this round at the federal level. I have no idea of IL, CA, NY or some state banned it.

                              But, if you walk into a gun store, the manufacturer has requested that it only be sold "to law enforcement only." The gun store does not have to honor this request.

                              Some stores will use this as an excuse to jack the price up, especially with security personnel. "Oh, this is for LE only, but we sell it to guards too. That'll be 30 dollars a box, please."
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

                              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X