Lack of support from Branch Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of support from Branch Office

I need your assistance folks. I actually quit once over this problem, but was asked to return to the private college where I currently work. Here is the problem, which is partly the fault of the company that I work for and partly the client. When I returned on Jan 15, I told both the site supervisor and the operations manager that because I draw social security at the reduced rate I could not work more than 32 hours per week. Well, I have only had one week since that statement was made that I did not have OVERTIME!!! What I need from you guys is how do I stop the site supervisor from calling me in to work? We currently have only four people working this site, having finnally gaotten the fourth person after more than a month of dilly dally by the operations manager. This officer already was an experienced officer and had his state registration, but the operations manager treated him like any joe blow off the street. She required him to drive 100 miles one way to do all the paper work all over again ( by the way she did me the same when I came back to work) We cannot get people for our site because by the time this lady gets around to hiring anyone, they have given up and found other work. The client will not make the security department modern in pay and staffing ( they have not changed the staff level since the seventies) and they refuse to negotiate a pay increase, citing budget restraints. I told my supervisor today that if these problems are not fixed soon, I will submit my two week notice. I do not need to work financially, but I enjoy the work.
    Murphy was an optomist.

You are in a rare position in that you do not need to work. Therefore you have the luxury to call the shots. I would shop around for someplace that fits your needs better.

There are so many places that have security, there is no need to stay someplace that isn't what you are looking for.

My experience with contract security is that they are going to get away with whatever the client and employee let them get away with. Since things at that site really haven't changed much, if any, over the years, it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Comment

There is nothing in this area that is not contract and of course those are low pay, which is another reason we have trouble staffing. Why would a person want to work in the cold and snow when they can make the same money at McDonalds? The only reason is like myself, they get satisfaction from a service type of job. Trouble is we cannot recruit very well when the branch office fails to act on an application for so long that the person being recruited eventually goes elsewhere to work. So, I guess what my complaint realy is is how do you get a fire under the ops mgr's ###?
      Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Welcome to the 2008 way of recruiting. Agencies can have 100 different jobs on their books so only want exact matches and in OUR industry, some people may be looking for several jobs at once. For the 100 miles drive I would have told them thanks but no thanks - or arrange for it to be sent to the site for me to complete.

Colleges are like nursing homes - full of old people who are set in their ways. There is always some $$$$ for services and when I found an $18k slush fund of student fees for lockers and other ammenities but I could not get $1k to hire 2 pool tables for the students keeping them from being underage patrons at the local pub (bar) I was furious. Time to find someone who is going to look after you.
        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307 View Post
          I need your assistance folks. I actually quit once over this problem, but was asked to return to the private college where I currently work. Here is the problem, which is partly the fault of the company that I work for and partly the client. When I returned on Jan 15, I told both the site supervisor and the operations manager that because I draw social security at the reduced rate I could not work more than 32 hours per week. Well, I have only had one week since that statement was made that I did not have OVERTIME!!! What I need from you guys is how do I stop the site supervisor from calling me in to work? We currently have only four people working this site, having finnally gaotten the fourth person after more than a month of dilly dally by the operations manager. This officer already was an experienced officer and had his state registration, but the operations manager treated him like any joe blow off the street. She required him to drive 100 miles one way to do all the paper work all over again ( by the way she did me the same when I came back to work) We cannot get people for our site because by the time this lady gets around to hiring anyone, they have given up and found other work. The client will not make the security department modern in pay and staffing ( they have not changed the staff level since the seventies) and they refuse to negotiate a pay increase, citing budget restraints. I told my supervisor today that if these problems are not fixed soon, I will submit my two week notice. I do not need to work financially, but I enjoy the work.
          You quit once and returned to find the same set of circumstances. When you decided to go back - what circumstances had changed in order for you to make that decision?

Here's my tried - true and tested advice. "We are always free to seek employment elsewhere" - me. And this one - "Your name is not on the front door - management has the right to run the business as they see fit." - me again.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Im not sure what your states laws are but in MANY states the can not FORCE you to work overtime, they can offer but cant force you to work those hours.
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

When called again for overtime, just say "no thank you" and hang up.
              After a few times they will get the hint and stop calling you.
              If they terminate you, there are always other ponds to fish in.
              As Curtis wrote, you went back knowing the situation had not changed, so you helped nail the lid shut.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

I did not go back knowing things did not change. The site has a new site supervisor who told me that things were going to change. That is why I agreed to go back. The problem is a lack of recruitment effort by the branch office and I truly believe that was the case before also. Sorry to come down on you management types, but if it walks like a duck- you know the rest. There are absolutly no security jobs in this part of the state that are not warm body O and R, which is not what the college needs. That is of course another can of worms.
                Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                  When called again for overtime, just say "no thank you" and hang up.
                  After a few times they will get the hint and stop calling you.
                  If they terminate you, there are always other ponds to fish in.
                  As Curtis wrote, you went back knowing the situation had not changed, so you helped nail the lid shut.
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill
                  Get caller ID and don't pick up when they call.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X