Question for Hospital Security...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Hospital Security...

I'm wondering how many hospitals in the US have their armed officers armed with Semi-auto pistols and/or tasers. Also what caliber and what brand weapons are permited by your department?

I'm just trying to gather some rough stats incase a change with the power transfer of the STLMPD desolves the Board of Police Comissioners, thus maybe changes the rules for weapons.
    "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
    some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

HCMC in Minneapolis does not carry firearms, but we do carry Taser, baton, and OC.
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Currently INOVA carries no weapons.
      I only hope that one day we will be able to carry mace or even an ASP....

Comment

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
        I'm wondering how many hospitals in the US have their armed officers armed with Semi-auto pistols and/or tasers. Also what caliber and what brand weapons are permited by your department?

I'm just trying to gather some rough stats incase a change with the power transfer of the STLMPD desolves the Board of Police Comissioners, thus maybe changes the rules for weapons.
        What's the chances they remove the special police program and turn you all into regular guards?
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

All of the hospitals at my university have in-house security (not affiliated with campus security or university police). The security officers carry OC, cuffs, batons, and 9mm pistols and are sworn as special police officers.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

I've worked at a couple hospitals here in the Northeast. The one I work at now is considerably bigger than the one I left, and is located a much larger city. However, we are armed with handcuffs and pepper spray. No handguns at all. Not yet at least.
            "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
              What's the chances they remove the special police program and turn you all into regular guards?
              The more and more I look at it, it seems nothing will change. The Police's reason for only wanting us to carry .38s... "That way we can determine who did the shooting if security and police are present at the scene at the same time"
              "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Comment

Here's the hospital's in Washington, DC and what they are carrying:

Washington Hospital Center Protective Services - .38 revolver, ASP, MarkIII OC
                Childrens National Medical Center Security - ASP, MarkIII OC
                DC Veterans Administration Hospital Police - Berretta 9mm, ASP, MarkIII OC
                Howard University Hospital Police - .38 revolver, ASP, MarkIII OC
                George Washington University Hospital Police - .38 revolver only (limited arming)
                Georgetown University Hospital Protective Services - Monadnock Expandable Baton, MarkIII OC
                Providence Hospital Security - .38 Revolver, ASP, MarkIII OC
                Hadley Memorial Hospital Security - NOTHING
                Specialty Hospital of Washington Security - NOTHING
                Greater Southeast Community Hospital Security - NOTHING
                DC General Hospital Medical Campus (PSD Police) - GLOCK17 9mm, ASP, MarkIV OC

There are no tasers permitted for ANYONE (police or security) at this time in DC. All the armed officers are DC Special Police Officer's, who hold police commissions with limited arrest powers from the city. All the armed officers are carrying .38 revolvers with the exception of the two government operated facilities, who are using a combination of regular police officers (carrying 9mm as primary duty weapon) and contracted special police officer's (carrying .38 revolver as duty weapon) from various security companies.
                Last edited by mjw064; 03-20-2008, 11:37 AM.
                Washington DC

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.

Comment

3 local hospitals in the city where I live carry tasers, cuffs, pepper gel and 2 of them carry ASPS, but only 1 of them have their officers' sworn with police powers.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X