Need Taser Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Taser Info

I'm looking to compile some statistics re: hospital security currently carrying Tasers. We currently carry nothing more than: ID/Access card, keys, radio, and cell phone. We are in a "soft-look" uniform (aka we look like waiters). We have recently been approved to move to a traditional uniform. We have recently had some very violent encounters and some weapons incidents in both our ER and Behavioral Health unit and are looking to proposing the carrying of tasers by senior officers. Can you guys send me some info?

Thanks.

TO DATE, I'VE RECEIVED CONFIRMATIONS FOR TASER CARRY AT:

Park Nicollet
    Abbot
    HCMC
    St. Cloud
    Last edited by Mankato_SecOff; 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE

These Minnesota hospitals have Tasers. One thing I can tell you, you're better off having everyone carrying one. When a situation occurs that might require the use of a Taser, you'll have seconds to react. If the officer or supervisor that is carrying the Taser, is somewhere else in the hospital, they don't do you a whole lot of good... They are a very tough sell to administration. Here's some articles and links. Good luck!

Hospitals;
    www.hcmc.org

http://www.abbottnorthwestern.com/ahs/anw.nsf/

http://www.centracare.com/hospitals/sch/index.html

Articles;
    http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...on-Lethal.aspx (Dr. Ho, the author of the article, is an emergency MD at HCMC)

http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...ody-Death.aspx (Dr. Ho, the author of the article, is an emergency MD at HCMC)

http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...-Gunfight.aspx

http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...-Protests.aspx

http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...Editorial.aspx
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Thanks much SgtNewby. Appreciate the info. The boss is thinking of the "Senior Officer" concept, not me. He's considering "some of the officers" as not being able to handle the responsibility. I've countered with "stop hiring retards, and it's no longer an issue". I also work as a Part-Time Peace Officer and carry one there (and obviously a lot more) and fully understand the need of every officer carrying one. I personnaly am a huge advocate of the Taser and often find myself in heated debates regarding it's usefullness, which I equate to the portable radio as one of the most important inventions introduced to law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mankato_SecOff View Post
        Thanks much SgtNewby. Appreciate the info. The boss is thinking of the "Senior Officer" concept, not me. He's considering "some of the officers" as not being able to handle the responsibility. I've countered with "stop hiring retards, and it's no longer an issue". I also work as a Part-Time Peace Officer and carry one there (and obviously a lot more) and fully understand the need of every officer carrying one. I personnaly am a huge advocate of the Taser and often find myself in heated debates regarding it's usefullness, which I equate to the portable radio as one of the most important inventions introduced to law enforcement.
        On a related note, I'm sure most people here are aware that I'm a protection agent. In Canada, protection agents are not allowed to carry firearms (concealed or otherwise, because security cannot), however, armoured car units can. Is money now more valuable than people?

I know it's a touch off topic, but it's also related to your post.

Comment

Is money now more valuable than people?
          Perhaps Canadian legislature thinks truck guards are more likely to be feloniously assaulted, thus their need to be armed.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mankato_SecOff View Post
            I've countered with "stop hiring retards, and it's no longer an issue".
            Couldn't have said it better myself. You'd think that isn't that complicated of a concept, but sometimes, "higher ups" just don't listen to you when these applicants set off the "warning bells."
            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix View Post
              Perhaps Canadian legislature thinks truck guards are more likely to be feloniously assaulted, thus their need to be armed.
              This can actually be looked at from another angle.

In several states, where security guards are strictly regulated (down to badges), blanket exceptions and special police powers (power of arrest, exemption from security laws, etc) are given to armored couriers or armored car guards.

I would say, simply, that armored guards are armed in Canada simply because of extreme and severe lobbyist pressure lobbied against the federal government.

After all, any armored car guard may carry their weapon (under US federal law) while on duty regardless of any state "armed guard" permit, while performing their duties and engaged in interstate movement of money.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I've countered with "stop hiring retards, and it's no longer an issue".
                Funny thing, I was just discussing this with my supervisor last night on shift. I wondered why so many guards look like crap in uniform, call off at the last minute, don't come prepared for their shift (8hrs at night w/ no light.), etc. She basically said that, at times, they have more account placements than bodies. So, it's not necessarily the guards that are retarded. It's the greedy upper management trying to pull in accoutns regardless of if there are enough people to put on the site and then hiring every moron who comes through the door because they cannot afford to be more selective...

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                  Funny thing, I was just discussing this with my supervisor last night on shift. I wondered why so many guards look like crap in uniform, call off at the last minute, don't come prepared for their shift (8hrs at night w/ no light.), etc. She basically said that, at times, they have more account placements than bodies. So, it's not necessarily the guards that are retarded. It's the greedy upper management trying to pull in accoutns regardless of if there are enough people to put on the site and then hiring every moron who comes through the door because they cannot afford to be more selective...

[B]I can definitely see your point, problem is we are "in-house" so we have total control over which people we hire.
                  Last edited by Mankato_SecOff; 03-22-2008, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                    There's a time and place for everything. Cover your 'open-posts' first, recruit, train, and then evolve attrition through scheduling (or non-scheduling). The lower the wages, the longer it takes. Otherwise, it can just take a few weeks for many dead-beats.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X