Emergency Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Plan

I've been working in 'security' for a while now as a police explorer many years ago and four years of military police, but i'm new to the private security industry. I was sifting through the Pre-Emergency Plan the other night at work and realized that the darn thing was written almost 15 years ago! And many of the point of contact #'s are invalid because those people aren't even with the company anymore. Is it common in the private security field for emergency procedures to be so out of date like this. I think they would have at the very least, reviewed them after 9/11, being that this is a chemical lab/manufacturer. Am I wrong to believe that if something major were to happen, and we didn't have an updated plan of action, that someone would be looking at a law-suit? Being that I am contracted, not in-house, who's responsibility would it be to review it or re-do it...the client's management or the security agency? I'm just used to the Navy, where everything is reviewed and updated on a very regular basis.

I appreciate any input or personal experiences on this issue.
    "Be courteous. Be polite. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet!" --U.S. Marines

Because you're working in "critical infrastructure," its up to the Facility Security Officer for the facility to prepare, implement, assess, and report the Facility Emergency Response Plan to God knows how many people.

Now days, its less lawsuit and more DHS going after someone.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

What you are describing is, unfortunately, much more common than it should be. When I conduct a security assessment, I often find that the Post Orders as well as the Emergency Plan used by the security staff are hopelessly out of date. Interestingly, I find that if documentation such as this is complete and current, then the overall security operation is probably pretty squared away also. Conversely, if the written documentation is bad, then other aspects of the security program are probably lacking as well.

In some cases, problems of this type can be attributed to the lack of qualified security/safety manager on the client's staff. Often the security function is delegated to a facilities or engineering manager who is hopelessly overworked and knows little or nothing about safety or security.

Another possibility is that a current plan does exist but it has simply not made its way into the hands of the security staff. Sometimes, there is a total disconnect between the people who prepare the plans and submit them to the regulatory agencies for approval and the people who actually need to use the plan (the security staff). If you look around, you may find a stack of shiny binders sitting on a shelf somewhere.

If I were in your shoes, I would first point out the deficiencies to the management of your company (the contract security company). Depending on what the contract between your company and the client specifies, it may or may not be your company's responsibility to provide an updated plan.

If it is the client's responsibility to provide the plan, then your company should politely notify the client that the current plan is obsolete and ask if a more current one is available. If a more current plan does not exist, then your company should offer assistance in making the necessary updates (for a fee), or refer them to an outside consultant. This notification should be made in writing, and repeated at periodic intervals if the client fails to update the plan.
      Michael A. Silva
      Silva Consultants

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Now that I think about, the security staff's overall "lack of confidence" can most likely be linked to the outdated emergency plan thus resulting in a lack of respect for the client management.
        I will surely bring it up to my site supervisor to see if anything is in the works.

Thanks again!
        "Be courteous. Be polite. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet!" --U.S. Marines

Comment

Also, your bosses will like the fact that you are looking to improve security at your site, and have possibly spotted a chance for your company to earn consultancy fees if the client needs assistance preparing a new plan.

One would think.
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Most of them you will find are outdated with wrong contact people, wrong contact information and may even have your EMS people in the wrong positions now. Interesting to note how many staff know where to go for an evacuation or what to do during a bomb threat or something else ?

Even contractors / visitors need to be made aware of anything of this nature and quite often it is assumed. Best example would be conference visitors or hotel guests who never take note of a fire exit until the alarms sound. In this firm, I found our EMS Plan was last updated in 1999 so had a busy 12 months to review EVERY location.
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
              Also, your bosses will like the fact that you are looking to improve security at your site.....
              Maybe; maybe not. Those who are new to the security field should use discernment in determining whether such input is wanted or desired. Time and time again I have seen management prefer the stick your head in the sand approach and even seek to have proactive officers removed from the site. Don't think it can't happen - it did to me.

Base your response on the site supervisor's reaction. If he pooh-poohs your observation, chances are you are at such a site.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Most of ours are up to date, but we were a little startled a few weeks ago when we had an alarm go off and had an alarm company call we had not heard of. Seems the alarm company had changed a year ago and no one notified us.

Comment

I've seen companies w/no post orders but then they $8.00/hour or less for armed security.
                  THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                    Maybe; maybe not. Those who are new to the security field should use discernment in determining whether such input is wanted or desired. Time and time again I have seen management prefer the stick your head in the sand approach and even seek to have proactive officers removed from the site. Don't think it can't happen - it did to me.

Base your response on the site supervisor's reaction. If he pooh-poohs your observation, chances are you are at such a site.

That's why I added the "one would think" to the end of my post. But I've never had a boss tell me 'no' when I said 'hey, here's an idea to make a little more money'.

It's all in how you say it.
                    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                      That's why I added the "one would think" to the end of my post. But I've never had a boss tell me 'no' when I said 'hey, here's an idea to make a little more money'.

It's all in how you say it.
                      If only it was that simple.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

There's a big thing in Contract Security that isn't in Integration. Whereas an installer/tech is actually supposed to know something, and therefore seen as knowlegable, in most cases the guards are supposed to - in this order:

1. Show up on time.
                        2. Say nothing to the client.
                        3. Do not sleep in front of the client.
                        4. Hit their keys.
                        5. Do not bring anything that might be bad to anyone's attention.
                        6. Get the hell off post when your tour is up.

The employees know nothing, so what they say is in one ear and out the other, because the managers are used to the dregs of the Earth trying to tell them how to do their job.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Dregs .......... and the wannabe's who are still sitting on the lowest rung possible.

Nothing pees me off more than people who say "what you need to do is this ............... or else this will happen". I had a crew who started doing this to me and after week 2 I told them, stop telling me what I HAVE to do and start giving me solutions to problems. It was the first time that 90% of them had ever been given a voice and not treated like dirt.
                          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

You will also find sites with ambiguous generic SOPs that could apply to any site, often in this environment the SOs implement their own "standard practice" based on experience & common sense... though a non-uniform/planned/structured approach is not a good idea IMHO

EDIT: - towards original topic of emergency plan details

It would be prudent in a CYA fashion to locate the correct contact details via a phone book (both internal & external) and by what other means necessary to update the emergency contact details just in case the SHTF!
                            Last edited by Maelstrom; 03-15-2008, 07:12 AM.
                            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Emergency Plan

If it been said sorry but our emergency plan. When **** hits the fan it's either every man for himself or put head in between legs and kiss your butt goodbye.
                              CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X