Smoking bans at your post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking bans at your post

How do you deal with smoking bans and violators at your post?
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Smoking bans at your post

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
    How do you deal with smoking bans and violators at your post?
    Give them a ticket and let the property owner deal with them.
    CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

What kinds of violations do you get? Indoor smoking has been banned here for so long you just don't see violations indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by craig333 View Post
        What kinds of violations do you get? Indoor smoking has been banned here for so long you just don't see violations indoors.
        Same thing in Quebec. Here it has only been 2 years & Quebec has the highest number of smokers in Canada but even in the hotels we do not see violators.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Smoke ban in Europe

well in Europe.....
          Smoke ban is everywhere(for about 2-3years),in workplace in pub's , club's everywhere some have designed places for that. But most people don't care about ban as the fine for smoking is up to 3000Euros,for OWNER of the premises.
          If there is security on premises they will check toilets for smokers(as mostly everyone are going to toilets o get smoke or drugs) security gonna say them to stop that and get something like "**** off" in answer. But good thing is if it was recorded on CCTV then the fine gonna be transferred to the violator or he will be kicked out of the premises.

Some company's have non-smoking policy at place that sometimes prohibits to HIRE people ho are smoking...
          Or they are allowed to dismiss smokers by law. BUT people are allowed to smoke on public-outside the building. If tell the truth only ones ho are enforcing smoke ban are security guards. Never saw that anybody else would say even a word towards the violator.

Comment

We (staff) cannot smoke on State property and risk 5 days off with no pay for the first offense... Nothing really happens to the inmates...
            "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Originally posted by olivera View Post
              well in Europe.....
              Smoke ban is everywhere(for about 2-3years),in workplace in pub's , club's everywhere some have designed places for that. But most people don't care about ban as the fine for smoking is up to 3000Euros,for OWNER of the premises.
              If there is security on premises they will check toilets for smokers(as mostly everyone are going to toilets o get smoke or drugs) security gonna say them to stop that and get something like "**** off" in answer. But good thing is if it was recorded on CCTV then the fine gonna be transferred to the violator or he will be kicked out of the premises.

Some company's have non-smoking policy at place that sometimes prohibits to HIRE people ho are smoking...
              Or they are allowed to dismiss smokers by law. BUT people are allowed to smoke on public-outside the building. If tell the truth only ones ho are enforcing smoke ban are security guards. Never saw that anybody else would say even a word towards the violator.
              Something that amazes me - in Germany you find small cigarette machines hanging on the outside of buildings. On just one block, in Frankfurt I counted 5. And whats with all of the dyed bright red hair all the women have? You can even buy beer out of the soda/pop/water vending machines in hotel lobbys.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

We are having an ongoing battle at our shopping center (mall).

We get the occasional smoker inside the center and they are given warning to move out immediately. Most look at you and stamp their smoke out on the floor @%$#&!

But it is those who smoke JUST outside the doors who are the main problem, With NO SMOKING signs measuring approximately 3' x 5' pasted right behind them they puff away.

You ask them to butt out and they get abusive stating that the signs are indicating no smoking inside the center so &%@#$ leave us alone we know our RIGHTS!

Shame they don't understand that they are not to smoke within 12 feet of any entrance a fact clearly stated on the signs.

We have moved ashtrays and seating away from the entrances but to no avail, now they just congregate outside the door and butt out on the sidewalk.

A few fines might sort them out but we are not in a position to issue these unfortunately.

Comment

Funny machines

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                  Something that amazes me - in Germany you find small cigarette machines hanging on the outside of buildings. On just one block, in Frankfurt I counted 5. And whats with all of the dyed bright red hair all the women have? You can even buy beer out of the soda/pop/water vending machines in hotel lobbys.
                  Just now you reminded me about those machines...Never saw beer , but i have remembered that there are such machines on most premises selling some adult stuff (protective ) and cigarettes of all types you can image.. only now i thought how idiotic it is,they banned smoking within premises but they do have machines selling all that stuff on the premises... So what's the point of the ban if it's not enforced and even encouraged to violate ? Only way security enforces his by banning people entry... But if it is mall or similar premises,whats then ? Why should officers listen to all that &*%& directed towards them for doing their job ?

P.S.
                  I know nothing about those " dyed bright red hair women"
                  never saw one
                  Last edited by olivera; 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

Smoking in company cars has been banned for years and had a massive argument in the 90's with a boss who was a `chimney with breasts` inside her company car. She would be given a tax rebate for extra use by staff of her company car during off peak and complained when my boss got $2k a month and she got a few hundred. I told her it had to do with smoking in the car as it made many people sick from the smell (she never opened a window once).

As previously posted, we have registered clubs that depend on the poker (slot) machines for an income and last year it came into full law that there was to be no smoking inside the premises at all. So the solution was to build smoking stations (outdoor areas glassed off from the other premises) together with a section of open balcony where slot machines were there to be played (losing your wage at the same time, enjoying a beer or 4 and still being able to smoke).

As for beer machines .......... found this interesting in Japan that you could get anything you wanted from the vending machines - even soothing thoughts from inside a photo booth looking vending machine if you were depressed. In USA I found it ironic that I had to go to the hotel desk to purchase a token for the beer vending machine in Orange County but the 7/11 was around the corner that sold anything you wanted and no I did not drink the beer ....... Blehhh.

Working with 1 retailer, the food cafe staff were often busted in uniform smoking away in front of another building and people would photograph them because they were in cooks uniforms but would also be stinking of smoke later on. It meant changing uniforms which meant triple the laundry bills.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie-SO View Post
                      We are having an ongoing battle at our shopping center (mall).

We get the occasional smoker inside the center and they are given warning to move out immediately. Most look at you and stamp their smoke out on the floor @%$#&!

But it is those who smoke JUST outside the doors who are the main problem, With NO SMOKING signs measuring approximately 3' x 5' pasted right behind them they puff away.

You ask them to butt out and they get abusive stating that the signs are indicating no smoking inside the center so &%@#$ leave us alone we know our RIGHTS!

Shame they don't understand that they are not to smoke within 12 feet of any entrance a fact clearly stated on the signs.

We have moved ashtrays and seating away from the entrances but to no avail, now they just congregate outside the door and butt out on the sidewalk.

A few fines might sort them out but we are not in a position to issue these unfortunately.
                      Now thats still a problem. But between the business owners and the code enforcers they seem to just call it good if they're outside. Unfortunately that means any non smoker fights a cloud going out or in.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                        We had vending machines up on the floors that sold mini bottles of liguor amongst other things. They were banned because there was no way to stop someone under 18 from using them. The cigarette vending machines still existed in the bar where you had to be 18 to enter. They were removed when the new anti-smoking law came into effect.

The law came in slowly. At first you could not smoke in a meeting room where you were forced to attend. (EG if your company sent you to attend a seminar). Smoking was allowed at social events, like weddings. Then they allowed restaurants to have a small smoking area. It was allowed in bars. Finally it was banned altogether. You can now only smoke in your own room if it is a smoking room.

I will be 52 this month & have never had even 1 puff on a cigarette so the law has not effected me except that I don't have to breath the 2nd hand crap anymore!
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

At 1 site, we had an outdoor balcony area for lunches, coffee breaks and smokers and for the cone of silence when speaking about confidential things. The reception went off on sick leave as a result of a few smoke butts that got under blown under a door gap. As Risk Manager I had to do the usual of assessing the risk, etc and a walk to the hardware store to get a draft strip which was a metal strip with 1/3" of bristles on the bottom to allow air but nothing else under neath was a $20.00 solution. The reception was looking for a payout and when she was told NO, nothing else happened. I did suggest 10 gallon smokers bins to stop the wind blowing up the butts which solved everything.
                          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Noone's stupid enough to smoke at my work.
                            Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Security View Post
                              Noone's stupid enough to smoke at my work.
                              How do you guys smoke Salmon? I couldn't get the dam thing to light
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X