• Show
Clear All

• Hold it!
    replied
    Have a potential opportunity for you..

Originally posted by privatecop625 View Post
    I just wanted some input from other peolpe on what they make for security,
    (If u don't mind). Here is my deal.

I live in Kenosha WI, and I work in a hospital in IL. I travel about 30 to 45 min a day to get to work. The thing is that I only make $10.00 an hour, and we put in our 40 hours +. The hard thing is that I pay $500 ($250 bi weekly) a month for health insurance (PPO) after that is taken out i only live on about $900 a month with a reg 40 hours. Then i have my rent and cell phone. I am trying to find something in kenosha but there is not much open and if there is its only like $8 - 9 hour and i really can't stoop that low for work. Tell me if u think that is low for security. I am trying to go armed that pays a little bit more but i can find a firm that is hiring right now. Anybody have any ideas.

-Privatecop625-
    My name is Rich... I've been in this industry for over 20 years & I can tell you this is not where the money is at. However, the security industry is one of the fastest growing employment fields in the country. But as with any job in corporate America a degree in imparative. Having your degree will open doors to large corporations willing to pay top dollar$$ for Security Managers and Investigators. The industry is now fast becoming a salvation for law enforcement personnel looking to enter a safer working environment. I work on the corporate side for a large company. Our company employs a contract guard service which provides Health benefits at 100% and, an hourly rate at or better than your currently making. Considering the time and amount of travel you currently consume, this may be a great alternative. Worth checking into... shoot me a reply and I'll see what I can do.

Leave a comment:

• junkyarddog
    replied

I live in Kenosha WI, and I work in a hospital in IL. I travel about 30 to 45 min a day to get to work. The thing is that I only make $10.00 an hour, and we put in our 40 hours +. The hard thing is that I pay $500 ($250 bi weekly) a month for health insurance (PPO) after that is taken out i only live on about $900 a month with a reg 40 hours. Then i have my rent and cell phone. I am trying to find something in kenosha but there is not much open and if there is its only like $8 - 9 hour and i really can't stoop that low for work. Tell me if u think that is low for security. I am trying to go armed that pays a little bit more but i can find a firm that is hiring right now. Anybody have any ideas.

-Privatecop625-
    Can't speak for your part of the country but where I live in PA, pay is between $8.00 and $20.00. Supervisor experience + armed pays better. If you can travel look into strike work. Check out Special Response and Specialized Security Response. 45 day work assignments, often a per diem, $800+ a week. Worth looking into, get some experience under your belt and on your resume. Build that up and put in for tactical security officer jobs when they come up, look into critical infrastructure protection etc.
    Last edited by junkyarddog; 04-07-2008, 01:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Limo LA
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedi View Post
    This is the first time that I have heard that someone can work for multiple PPOs but not multiple non-PPOs. What is your source?
    CA B&P Code 7574.1.
    A proprietary private security officer, as used in this chapter is
    an unarmed individual who is employed exclusively by any one employer
    whose primary duty is to provide security services for his or her employer, whose services are not contracted to any other entity or person,
    and who is not exempt pursuant to Section 7582.2,
    and who meets both of the following criteria:
    (a) Is required to wear a distinctive uniform clearly identifying the individual as a security officer.
    (b) Is likely to interact with the public while performing his or her duties.

also
    http://www.bsis.ca.gov/customer_serv...securityqa.pdf

When I hired armed in-house security for my Limo company few years ago, I sent e-mail question to BSIS because B&P code state "Proprietary private security officer may not be armed". also questioned for if my company have to have PPO licence to hire Secuity officer.
    BSIS said if my company does not provide security service to any other entity or person outside of my company, my company does not have to have PPO license and my security officer is "proprietary private security officer (armed or unarmed)".
    because he is armed He have to have GC to obtain weapon permits but he is still proprietary security officer.
    and proprietary security officer have to work for exclusively Single Employer.
    That was answer from BSIS based on B&P code.

to me, it makes sense.
    Because if Security officer John Dow works for Store A for 2 days (as security), then works for night club at week-end, also work as estate security when wealthy business man go away for vacation, and doing one of Celeb's birthday party security once a year.
    his activity is same as Solo (Self employed) PPO licensee.
    Security officer Mr.John Dow is "Providing security service" to multiple entity without PPO license.
    I don't know and didn't ask to BSIS if Proprietary Security officer can work for other company as Non-Security personal.
    (work 3 days as Security for Store A, then work 2 days at trucking company B as Driver and not security)

I assumed you are not asking source for "GC can work for multi PPOs".
    Last edited by Limo LA; 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Limo LA View Post
    California started licensing for inhouse since 2006
    Guard can work for multiple PPO (Security company) or only "One" non PPO (in-house).
    This is the first time that I have heard that someone can work for multiple PPOs but not multiple non-PPOs. What is your source?

Leave a comment:

• Limo LA
    replied
    California Regulations

Originally posted by Big Jack View Post
    Inhouse doesn't require this YET, but I expect it will come soon enough.
    California started licensing for inhouse since 2006

PSO(inhouse)
    No training, unarmed (include Baton, I'm not sure for Hand cuff and metal flash light).
    Weapon permit won't issue to PSO.
    have to work for only "one employer" as W-2 Employee.
    if inhouse want to be armed, have to have Guard Card instead of PSO.
    GC can work for Non-Security company (armed in-house)

GC(Guard Card)
    8 hours before post, 32 hours after post (within 6 month) training (can be done all in once).
    separate weapon permit (firearm, Baton[any type]) are needed to be armed.
    8 hours of Continuing Education (Training) needed annually (can be done by training school or PPO Employer)
    http://www.dca.ca.gov/bsis/industrie...training.shtml
    Guard have to be W-2 employee.
    Guard can work for multiple PPO (Security company) or only "One" non PPO (in-house).
    Otherwise BSIS sees him (her) as conducting "Security Business" without Business license.
    (Contract = Self Employee = doing business)

PPO (Business License)
    Provide Security Service to anyone.
    PPO licensee can provide required training to Guard. (Guard training can be done by training school or PPO licensed employer)
    PPO licensee can be
    one to many business (no employee single licensee. contract body guard, executive protection,etc)
    many to many business (send employee guards to clients as most of security companies[PPO licensee] do)
    All of President, Vice P, CEO and partner of companies receive PPO licence but only "QM PPO licensee" can do security work without Guard Card.
    Non-QM PPO licensee can operate/manage company but may not conduct actual security work for clients.
    (BSIS still need to work on this. this makes everyone confused)
    Last edited by Limo LA; 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big Jack
    replied
    In NJ, if you work as anything but inhouse, you need a SORA card. You have to take a 2 day course, and pass a test to get it. Inhouse doesn't require this YET, but I expect it will come soon enough. The training we recieve already exceeds what the state requires, so we may get lucky, and not have to take the course.

Leave a comment:

• Limo LA
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Jack View Post
    We fill some of the holes with contract guys, but they tend not to be the "Best of the Best".
    I'm interesting for how regulation would be different by state.
    In California Bureau of Security and Investigative Service code (B&P code), No "Contract" Guard is allowed.
    Guard have to be "Employee", even in-house guards.
    Not Because they tend not to be the best of best, because B&P code restrict to make "Contract" without Security "Business license" (PPO license).

in California B&P code
    Guard Card = you can be "Employee" of someone (in-house or Security company) as Security personal.
    PPO licensee = you can make "Contract" with anyone. also can hire guard to send to someone. and off course all Security companies are PPO licensee.

So, in Califorina,there is no "Contract" Guard.
    if security company (or any company for in-house) need extra guard just for two days temporally, company have to hire them as "Employee" for two days unless guard have PPO (Security business) License.

But I know many of Executive protection (off-duty, retired, Reserved LEO) illegally make "contract" with Clients for day by day (night by night).
    Last edited by Limo LA; 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ewfr 'Gomulee
    replied
    I am paid £7.15 an hour for a 40 hour week.

not bad considering I used to get paid alot less in my other jobs

Leave a comment:

• Big Jack
    replied
    We're always hiring. 1st shift is perpetually short. (hence the available OT) The only shift that rarely has openings is 3rd. Most of the guys from 1st leave to go into LE, so they always have openings. We fill some of the holes with contract guys, but they tend not to be the "Best of the Best". Day shift in a hospital tends to be the busiest, and they make the least.(no differential) 3rd is the slowest, and we get the biggest differential. A decent trade off for sleep, and the chance to have a P/T job.

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    How'd you get your job? I have yet to an in-house position advertised in the paper. Unfortunately it seems security is no different than anything else. You need to know someone. Get the inside information. Its the same way I got my old job. Friend says "hey the need another person here, I'll recommend you".

Very few positions were ever advertised. A vendor who supplies a local hospital told me they were hiring security. Unfortunately the position was filled before it was even posted.

The exceptions for well paying jobs seem to follow two exceptions.

1. They want qualifications that would pretty much rule out anyone who didnt' have ten years of experience as a secret service agent. Or

2. Yes, our full time positions pay well with good benefits. Oh by the way, it usually takes about three years of part time on call work before you become permanent.

I've already had an interview with the hiring guy at a manufacturing facility for positions they don't plan on advertising for another month. Why? Because I know the maintenace manager. Sad but thats the way the world works.

Leave a comment:

• Big Jack
    replied
    I guess I've got it pretty good. I work in a mid-size hospital, that's part of a larger HC corp. The base pay for an in-house S/O is $13.00 + Shift Differential($2.25 for 3-11 pm, $3.00 for 11p-7a) included after 3 months is Health care for the employee, and Life Ins of 1.5x Annual Salary. I added full family coverage, and 5x sallary LI, and it costs me about $90 every 2 weeks. We get our uniforms free, (3 sets every spring/fall) and go through monthly training that provides 8 CEUs per class. They also have a tuition reimbursement program for attending college. At 42 YO, I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about going back to school.

I also get in about 1 OT shift a week. We're given 21 days PTO, and 6 paid holidays. If you work on the holiday, its time and a half, plus you get the day added to your PTO bank, to be used at a later date.

Its not anywhere near what I used to make in the car business, but I like the job, and working the night shift lets me work a PT job, and make up most of the difference.

Overall, what I though was going to be a short-term job is looking pretty long term right now. I just wish there was more room for advancement. The senior people here tend to stay a while.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
    Man, if it wasn't in the PRK, I'd see about hiring on...btw...what kind of site has 400 officers working security on it? Military bases and nuke facilities don't even have that kind of manpower...
    Gotta remember cost of living.

I'm in Dallas (well, ok, a half mile south of the city line, technically a suburb lol). In all of the 3 California cities the same size or bigger than Dallas (LA, San Diego, and San Jose) that $28 per hour is like $19 per hour here.

Thats about what our Campus Police Officers start at in my District, which is a good bit less than the contract S/Os down the street from my job make at the U.S. Federal Building, or in some of the better in-house jobs at area employers like Perot Systems, Texas Instruments or the various Defense Contractors all over the place (Northrup Gruman, Lockeed, Bell Helicopter ect ect).

On a side note, Cost of living was a problem for the Border Patrol in the past 2002 SFGATE article. 25% of the BP was depolyed in Southern California back then If I recall correctly. I remember another article where a BP agent who left for a local PD said something to the affect that 35k was damn good money in North Dakota, but it wasn't....crap....in Southern Cali lol.

Leave a comment:

• publicsafetyred
    replied
    Originally posted by craig333 View Post
    A lot of these companies will tell with a straight face "we offer health benefits". Sorry but a group plan that comes out of salary does not qualify as offering benefits.

Publicsafetyred, you have 400 officers on a single site? I need to sell my house and move wherever that is.
    Please send me a private message with your real email address and Ill give you the info.

Leave a comment:

• secguy
    replied
    florida rates

-Privatecop625-
    I'm a florida SO:

These have been my rates in the last 4 years:
    $7.25, $8.50, $9.50 & $10/hr

I monitor with a spreadsheet the advertised rates of security companies;
    This is what I have for the average rate for unarmed--$9.83/hr....$11.00 being the highest on the west coast and $12.00 on the east coast.
    The average for an armed is $12.17/hr....$14.00 highest rate seen for the
    west coast and about $15.00 for the east coast (Miami)

I have seen the rates actually rise a little here since the economic
    down turn and probably also that we in the Sarasota/Bradenton area (resort communities) have pretty high crime stats.
    Last edited by secguy; 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by publicsafetyred View Post
    Over 400 private security officers at my site. Base pay is $28 something an hour, plus $1.60 shift differential, plus profit sharing, plus all the overtime you want. Every few paychecks we get uniform allowance, and uniform upkeep pay. Full company retirement, 100% matching on 401k investments, full medical/dental with a $10 co-pay, 13 paid days off to start, more days off as you get seniority, education reimbursement, and a lot of other bennies. Most of my friends who only do very little overtime made an average of $81k last year.

My second level supervisor makes $120k base and has a large profit sharing allowance.

We arn't the only ones in this state that pay like this. I know of two other sites that pay close to the same but don't have as many officers.
    Man, if it wasn't in the PRK, I'd see about hiring on...btw...what kind of site has 400 officers working security on it? Military bases and nuke facilities don't even have that kind of manpower...

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X