Security Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
    Nate, at what point would a response to this become a ban-worthy attack?

Feel free to discuss and debate the website... We all know how to debate and discuss a company without attacking it or an employee.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Baby steps...

How about this- That website represents a company that is viewed rather negatively around my area.

Think of how 99% of Oprah-loving 'Soccer Moms' view the Bush family.

The company represented by that website is viewed locally with even more animosity than the above example.

Animosity:
      Violent hatred leading to active opposition; active enmity; energetic dislike.

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow11 View Post
        Just a little info, the company I work for is currently looking for Armed Officers in Georgia, South Carolina, Baltimore, and Seattle. Our current pay here is way above industry standards.

The website is PARASYS.com

Check it out
        What kind of pay do you consider way above industry standards? What are the benefits like?

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
          What kind of pay do you consider way above industry standards? What are the benefits like?
          Dunno about LB, but around here they're lagging behind all but one federal contract, with zero benefits.

Comment

Seems the whole US needs to get with the rest of the world and look after their employees more by actually giving them the same benefits in leave entitlements as the rest of the world. 4 weeks leave here minimum and rotational shifties are on 5 weeks with police and EMS people on 6 weeks leave with heaps of O/T.

I have always loved the US and it's people and never tire of getting to know the people and visiting (comes from being about 4 or and meeting a real yank who was here with my dad for a few months of his work). It saddens me to see people telling me "hey I am on vacation - enjoying their 4 days off in a row" when people are working harder and should be rewarded with time off and not be penalised for taking the time off.

Security industry pays well below par and I think Nate summed it up that it is considered unskilled labour (which technically is correctly) but people need some sort of incentive to keep battling on each week and knowing they will have a holiday with their kids or family is a great step forward.

Excuse the ignorance, but apart from 401k (we have something similar), leave benefits, etc and your MUST have medical insurance, what else would you be wanting from your remuneration ?
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Seems to me most have already decided on the fate of the company, yet most are still work at a low paying job. Sure, security work is not the highest paid position out there. I can think of two other positions that require little education, and training and pay just as well i.e. janitors and garbage collectors.

In my experiences in the security field, I have noticed that “we are our worst enemy”. Now, I am not by far defending the company, because I am a contract officer of the Department of Homeland Security. The company in question only responsibility is to pay my salary, when it all comes down, I answer to DHS.

Over here our hourly rate is $21.67 per hour, (at a 40 hour week and with 24 hours of overtime a month) which will be going up in June to $25.50. The company does not offer any benefits at this time, but it should be changing come June 1st when a CBA is signed.

I have a personal IRA which I have been contributing to for over ten years now, and the greatest thing about this IRA is that no matter what job I take or do, I know that my money is going to be in my responsibility. I mean if most are still out there looking for benefits as far as retirement, if you’re up there in age, and you have not been saving. What makes you think getting a job with retirement benefits is going to make a difference now.

Sure I don’t get any medical or dental coverage, but my wife does, and if there are people going to complain about the company and their practices, then certainly be my guess. Because the way I see it I’m the one making the money no matter what company holds the contract.

Comment

well, maybe you better get more training. Most of the people I work with have been thru a police acadamy, or the military. WE are not qualified to be janitors and garbage men. We are qualified Security officers. We receive training every year in first aid and have to shoot twice a year. We have to shoot the same course as law federal law enforcement.

But I want to get paid what you are getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                  well, maybe you better get more training. Most of the people I work with have been thru a police acadamy, or the military. WE are not qualified to be janitors and garbage men. We are qualified Security officers. We receive training every year in first aid and have to shoot twice a year. We have to shoot the same course as law federal law enforcement.

But I want to get paid what you are getting paid.
                  Well, being a LEO and a veteran...I'm not so sure those are good examples. Most that have been through the police academy or basic training/boot camp are no stranger to pushing a broom.... Just an observation. --K.
                  Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

Originally posted by privatecop625 View Post
                    I just wanted some input from other peolpe on what they make for security,
                    (If u don't mind). Here is my deal.

I live in Kenosha WI, and I work in a hospital in IL. I travel about 30 to 45 min a day to get to work. The thing is that I only make $10.00 an hour, and we put in our 40 hours +. The hard thing is that I pay $500 ($250 bi weekly) a month for health insurance (PPO) after that is taken out i only live on about $900 a month with a reg 40 hours. Then i have my rent and cell phone. I am trying to find something in Kenosha but there is not much open and if there is its only like $8 - 9 hour and i really can't stoop that low for work. Tell me if u think that is low for security. I am trying to go armed that pays a little bit more but i can find a firm that is hiring right now. Anybody have any ideas.

-Privatecop625-
                    I would've thought hospitals added medical coverage to their employee benefits packages? $500 per month is a humongous slice of cake! as already mentioned hunt around for something that includes medical coverage even if that means a slightly lower hourly rate, at the moment once you take out the insurance you're only earning/clearing around $7~8 p.h.
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

In Tallahassee, Florida I have worked Armed for $8/hour, under $8/hr for unarmed. And one company quoted less than $8/hour for Armed.I have also worked over 24 hours straight on duty. I have Corrections,and military experience. The unarmed license renewalis 45 dollars, the armed renewal is like $117, every year qualification is $100.00 or slightly over. We can carry 380,9 mil, and 38 cal.,if you quailify with it. That's not considering the initial cost of license.

And many of my security checks have "bounced" or been late on a normal basis.

You have to purchase boots,spray,firearm, duty belt equipment, ammo, vest, basically everything but the uniform.

Recently was offered employment 8 hours a week, at $11.50/ hour. But it's very few hours and the list of equipment including manufacturer names was over $1000.00. I would work for 3 months for free, considering all the equipment I would be required to buy. I had some equipment like peerless cuffs,yet they required smith or hiatt namebrand. Piss on that.

I have experienced companies constantly calling you while off to come in, when someone abandoned their post or failed to show. Yet when my check was late, I couldn't reach them for days.I was told "I have a right to a personal life". The checks were late so much thay changed the payday, and always blamed the us postal service.
                      THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                        I would've thought hospitals added medical coverage to their employee benefits packages? $500 per month is a humongous slice of cake! as already mentioned hunt around for something that includes medical coverage even if that means a slightly lower hourly rate, at the moment once you take out the insurance you're only earning/clearing around $7~8 p.h.
                        He doesn't work for the hospital, he works for a contract security company that the hospital has contracted to to observe it.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow11 View Post
                          Seems to me most have already decided on the fate of the company, yet most are still work at a low paying job. Sure, security work is not the highest paid position out there. I can think of two other positions that require little education, and training and pay just as well i.e. janitors and garbage collectors.
                          I wish we had the pay and benefits of garbage collectors here on my account. Those guys do all right.
                          "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                            He doesn't work for the hospital, he works for a contract security company that the hospital has contracted to to observe it.

So it would be up to the contracted company to make benefits part of the tender/offer when bidding for the Hospital contract, or don't people make those kind of arrangements?
                            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Well, hello everyone....I bet many of you thought I had a bad attitude towards security..... but I finally found a non-security job driving a truck. I pass by my house everyday. I only go from south Alabama to North Miami. I'm loving it. I'm much happier, and didn't have to take a security job for $8.00 an hour. And I don't have a supervisor breathing down my neck.I'm sitting at a truckstop w/ free internet access....woohoo. Heve a super great day!!!!!!
                              THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Publicsafetyred stated in another thread
                                Most cops around Southern California make approximately $80k a year (after three years). Most private security guys where I make get that pay and have better benefits. More importantly in the private world you can work your way up. I have a few friends that make over $150k a year and are only heading up.
                                My BS detector is going off. Private security making 150K with better benefits than government jobs?
                                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X