What's your job title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    You don't by chance ask potential hires if they can spell guard do you?
    LOl. and I bet alot of them would have a hard time spelling Guard

Comment

When considering your title and the public you must understand most people who work in the So called security industry know nothing about security. They are usually a night watchman wheather armed/unarmed or a bouncer that wears a uniform and may be armed/unarmed. Rather than the guard companies calling themselves security they should be called a Guard service.That is in the business of assinging bodies on a post. When I think of security I think of someone who actually know not pretends to know about doing a risk assesment,terrorism, physical security, countermeasures, as well as the standard officer safety,medical,working knowlege of law. The sad thing is if your motivated and educated your in the wrong industry. Guard companies care about billing that's it.As long as the client lets you work the post and you get no complaints the company is happy. Their are some good security companies out there but they are in the very small majority. I consider myself an armed Professional or security agent depending on what IM doing. However the average person who knows nothing about security will just see me as a Security Guard regardless of education or training because they don't know anything about the industry and see the lower end of the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by ESI AGENT View Post
        They are usually a night watchman wheather armed/unarmed or a bouncer that wears a uniform and may be armed/unarmed.
        Hey... what's wrong with being a bouncer? Is that not security, by your own definition, if done correctly?
        • risk assessment Yes! A good bar/club bouncer or security agent needs to be able to read people and situations. Stopping fights before they start and cutting people off before they get so drunk they get sick are essential skills; you can't do that if you are unable to assess the situation. Not to mention fire codes, capacity levels, safety hazards, liability concerns...
        • terrorism A large club can easily hold between 350 and 700 people... some are even larger. If a certain group of racial/religious/socio/economic/nationals are the regular patrons, would that not make this a target-rich environment for the opposing group? Not all terrorism involves Islamic militants and extremists.
        • physical security Secure the building. Protect the assets. Protect the patrons. Keep everyone safe. I miss anything?
        • countermeasures Alarms, cameras, ID-checks, metal detectors, riot-control & prevention techniques, pat down techniques, crisis situation training, first-aid training, verbal judo...
        • officer safety I have been injured more often bouncing in clubs and bars (7 times) than I have busting shoplifters in a series of high-risk retail locations in drug filled, gang-prevalent, violent communities (0 times). The last of my latest round of stitches fell out yesterday, in fact. There were guns involved in that particular altercation. I have seen more guns and knives working in bars than in my day job. Safety is a HUGE issue.
        • medical First-aid training, alcohol poisoning response, how to recognize a physiological condition not caused by excessive alcohol... gotta know it.
        • working knowledge of law Need to know about civil torts and liabilities, criminal law concerning assaults and use of force, and alcohol control statutes. Not knowing--and following to the letter--the laws concerning alcohol will (not may, will) get you in serious trouble, including arrested and/or fines ranging from $25 to $25,000. Liquor commission agents are some of the most meticulous (and arrogant... they believe every one of you is doing something wrong, and they are damn well gonna find it!) investigators I have ever had the dubious pleasure of working with.
        I am the Chief of Security at a nightclub, and a bouncer. It's not as easy as it looks. (Tho it can be as fun! )
        "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

Originally posted by darkenna View Post
          Hey... what's wrong with being a bouncer? Is that not security, by your own definition, if done correctly?
          • risk assessment Yes! A good bar/club bouncer or security agent needs to be able to read people and situations. Stopping fights before they start and cutting people off before they get so drunk they get sick are essential skills; you can't do that if you are unable to assess the situation. Not to mention fire codes, capacity levels, safety hazards, liability concerns...
          • terrorism A large club can easily hold between 350 and 700 people... some are even larger. If a certain group of racial/religious/socio/economic/nationals are the regular patrons, would that not make this a target-rich environment for the opposing group? Not all terrorism involves Islamic militants and extremists.
          • physical security Secure the building. Protect the assets. Protect the patrons. Keep everyone safe. I miss anything?
          • countermeasures Alarms, cameras, ID-checks, metal detectors, riot-control & prevention techniques, pat down techniques, crisis situation training, first-aid training, verbal judo...
          • officer safety I have been injured more often bouncing in clubs and bars (7 times) than I have busting shoplifters in a series of high-risk retail locations in drug filled, gang-prevalent, violent communities (0 times). The last of my latest round of stitches fell out yesterday, in fact. There were guns involved in that particular altercation. I have seen more guns and knives working in bars than in my day job. Safety is a HUGE issue.
          • medical First-aid training, alcohol poisoning response, how to recognize a physiological condition not caused by excessive alcohol... gotta know it.
          • working knowledge of law Need to know about civil torts and liabilities, criminal law concerning assaults and use of force, and alcohol control statutes. Not knowing--and following to the letter--the laws concerning alcohol will (not may, will) get you in serious trouble, including arrested and/or fines ranging from $25 to $25,000. Liquor commission agents are some of the most meticulous (and arrogant... they believe every one of you is doing something wrong, and they are damn well gonna find it!) investigators I have ever had the dubious pleasure of working with.
          I am the Chief of Security at a nightclub, and a bouncer. It's not as easy as it looks. (Tho it can be as fun! )
          Darkenna,

I liked reading a post from someone who takes their job in nightclub security seriously. I feel that it is a legitimate security profession and so does the organizations who offer "Certified Public Events Officer" training.

As an LEO a couple of the best private officers I dealt with were bouncers. Some of those places could get really rough, especially when they were packed with "GI" types from the local base. Those boys know how to fight, that's for sure .

Justice_Hound
          LP Manager
          We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
          -George Orwell

Comment

Thanks, Justice_Hound.

Just trying to point out that the tough-guy or "Roadhouse" bouncer is a thing of the past in most urban & suburban areas, and rapidly becoming a rare thing even in rural areas.
            "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

What's your title

It Say right on the badge "Security Enforcement Officer" Customers call me sir, clients call me mister Xxxxx, subordinates call me boss or chief, Superiors call me too much to mention here, and tha bad guys call me crazySOB

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X