What's your job title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
    For my profession, we couldn't be called "protection officers" because we don't really have an office. I'm told that we're called Special Agents because we're more than just a bodyguard.

After all, we have to be good at more things than firing a gun or taking someone out in close quarters combat. We also have to be excellent drivers and very skilled in pursuit driving, evasive driving, and ambush defense while driving. We have to be unbelievably fast, accurate, and effective in a practical situation with a handgun (or carbine if you work in very high risk areas). We have to be equally skilled in First Aid/First Respondant Medicine and other skills like that. We have to be intelligent enough to proactively out-think would-be criminals, or even smart enough to be able to detect minor risks (falling on stairs, car crashes) - yes, even a car crash caused by someone else is our responsibility. If our client falls on stairs that are unmarked by reflective tape, it's our responsibility. If our client chokes on a piece of meat, it's our responsibility. And of course we have to be knowledgable on laws and policies of any countries that a client wants to travel to. To top it all off, we have to be skilled and experienced at managing security at special events, because if our client is involved, we become essentially the head of security.

I'm using my profession as an example, because I know it the best
    BC licenses ARMED bodyguards?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Security View Post
      So you're saying that you're ashamed of being called a security guard, or that being a security guard is too beneath you?
      Mate, I have not been in a security uniform for the better part of 10 years now and I have not been a security officer in about 15 years. Yes I have filled in as relief roles or to appease a client during special event work but I am still a licenced security officer just like everyone else, but now hold every available qualification apart from technical services. 13 qualifications from a possible 15 including consulting and training and to renew all these certs I would be looking at well over $1k US per course.

I have worked the 100 hour weeks working for other people and working for my own business, flown around the country and done my time overseas, but I don't look down from the top of the pyramid at the S/O's below me.

After 21 years (wow old man alert) I reflect on my carreer making supervisor at 19 and duty manager at 21 which was not bad for a bloke who was working a f/t job, part time study and part time security career to pay for it all. I have never forgotten my fundamentals or roots, but having now almost completed my 2nd degree and spent a kidney, lung and liver on external qualifications to compete in our industry, then perhaps I am just a bee's pecker better than the standard run of the mill S/O.

Read the post again and you will perhaps discover that I was not being an elitist but someone who wishes for recognition of his job title and qualifications whilst not being pigeon-holed like many other professions.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Job description, uniform slides & organizational paraphernalia all clearly state security officer... everyone else simply calls us security, security guard OR guard
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr619 View Post
          What is the title of an entry-level uniformed position at your company?

Votes are public.
          At comet the entry level for their Security Staff is my level whilst I was there.
          Loss Prevention Officer from there it goes up to Loss Prevention manager of a store (depending on the size of the store) and from there to Loss Prevention Manager who will be incharge of move of the country's LPO population for the company.

Older members of staff used to call me Security Police or the Company Police... both names now obselite but information on it can be found on Wikipedia under 'Security Officer' or Security Police.
          Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
          Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
            BC licenses ARMED bodyguards?
            Haha No. Most of the work I do is in the United States. Because some of Canada's laws, it's really hard to have a good protection industry up here.

Comment

I am a guard, and if I refer to myself as anything else I could risk losing my license. I don't mind though, I take pride in guarding my clients information property.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
                I am a guard, and if I refer to myself as anything else I could risk losing my license. I don't mind though, I take pride in guarding my clients information property.
                Just don't refer to yourself as "officer", "law enforcement", "police" or "detective" and you'll be fine. "Security Enforcement Dude", for example, is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo View Post
                  Just don't refer to yourself as "officer", "law enforcement", "police" or "detective" and you'll be fine. "Security Enforcement Dude", for example, is OK.
                  Except of course, those of us with police powers....

There is a litany of titles used out there. I don't particularly care for the generalized use of the term Guard outside of private security, save for those performing a narrow, fixed-post assignment (and then only in what I would considered a denied area). The terms "law enforcement" and "police" are off limits for private security in Washington State. "Officer" and "Private Detective" are still allowed, as I understand it. However, the licensing category has been renamed "Private Investigator" instead of "Private Detective". Store Detective was a common term when I worked loss prevention during summer breaks during my undergrad days.... --K.
                  Last edited by SpecialAgentKC; 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM.
                  Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo View Post
                    In florida we are security officers under state law. So we can obviously call ourselves officers as long as we dont try to pass ourselves off as law enforcement.
                    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Ontario is Canada. Canada has laws against "officer" in some Provinces.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                        Actually private security is a provincial domain. They are the provincial laws that prevent it, not federal.

Comment

I think that's what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
                            I think that's what he said.
                            The provinces have laws against it, not the federal government. (Hey I'm being picky but I'm a Quebecer - even us English ones are very weary about jurisdictions )

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                              That is what he said.
                              "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

At my job we are refered to as "Security Enforcement Officers" or SEO's. I made the mistake of thinking one of the new 1st shift guys was a temp and said, "are you one of the AIS Guards?" and he went off on me (he was wearing a white polo with no markings instead of a uniform). Luckily we are good friends now haha. A couple of the guys also refuse to be called a Security Guard seeing how we don't just monitor traffic at the security gates but also handle calls and do foot patrol. I Enjoy being referred to as a Security Officer over a guard as well. Just sounds more professional to me.
                                Last edited by Deputy Dawg; 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM.
                                "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X