Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your job title?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by wisecure View Post
    No we dont. Feel better? We get "a" and "u" mixed up but thankfully we can spell "ANAL"....
    That's awesome, lol. My "official" title is Correctional Officer, aka, "Screw, Boss, Turnkey, Prison Guard, Pod Officer, etc etc"
    "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

    Comment


    • #17
      Correctional Officer AKA Chaplain, babysitter, hall monitor, referee, zookeeper, etc... etc... LOL

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by darkenna View Post
        Heh. A friend of mine who used to work in that biz used to rant about the term "bodyguard". She said, "It calls to mind the image of a 6'4 muscle-brained mook named Bruno... which is about as far from me as you can get." (She was 5'6, petite-framed, and anything but muscle-brained, in a rather scary manner.) She always used "executive protection specialist".
        Yeah, "bodyguard" has some meathead connotations to it. On my business card, I'm

        Special Agent ______ ________,
        Protective Services specialist & Protective Intelligence operative

        Then again, I've done a billion courses in advanced executive protection, intelligence gathering and protective intelligence, special operations, first aid/first respondant medicine (paramedic level), and so forth. So I worked hard for a flashy job title

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
          You don't by chance ask potential hires if they can spell guard do you?
          Yeah, I done real good on that question: gard. Or was is garrd?? Anyway, I done good....
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
            I do not think that Public Safety Officer is correct for most of us since we usually work for private interests, not the public. Maybe Private Safety Officers?
            Some of us do work in the interest of the public even though we work for a private company. Just because I work for a private company, I am hired to protect the public which come onto my site. I am there for not only my company's safety, but the safety of the public.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
              Some of us do work in the interest of the public even though we work for a private company. Just because I work for a private company, I am hired to protect the public which come onto my site. I am there for not only my company's safety, but the safety of the public.
              Not really. Bottom line is you are there to protect the comapnies a*s. If protecting a part of the public prevents them from suing, that;s your job.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

              Comment


              • #22
                We have not had bouncers for years in Australia - they are now Crowd Safety Officers, Crowd Controllers, Crowd Control Engineers, Door Hosts, Customer Service Officers, Guests Relations Officers.

                Personally, I just call myself a Risk Manager as it encompasses a good 6 key areas and it is easier to explain. If I said Asset Protection - they would ask are you a security guard and would end up with a black eye for that.

                I was the National Loss Prevention Manager until 12 months back and became the National Risk Manager and have fought off all title changes as I now oversee the audit function officially. We are sadly following the same name change titles as the USA which is confusing people outside of retail and the hospitality industry and whilst I am almost retired from CPP (just no $$$ for me to work) I cringe at the term BODYGUARD as it shows me the typical hollywood style thug of a large bloke with more Bling than Mr T. showing more rolls than a bakery through his t-shirt.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                  We have not had bouncers for years in Australia - they are now Crowd Safety Officers, Crowd Controllers, Crowd Control Engineers, Door Hosts, Customer Service Officers, Guests Relations Officers.
                  I've always liked "Crowd Control Technician", or simply "Security" for my guys in clubs & bars.

                  Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                  I cringe at the term BODYGUARD as it shows me the typical hollywood style thug of a large bloke with more Bling than Mr T. showing more rolls than a bakery through his t-shirt.
                  "Hihi! I'm Miss Celeb-de-momente, and this is my Chief Mook, Guido! Teehee!"
                  "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

                  "The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this, but at this level, does it really matter if your title is guard, officer, or - lol - "agent"? It's still the same job, regardless of what you decide to call yourself. Here, I just refer to my staff as security guards since that is what the general public recognizes them as. I don't see the point in calling a security guard anything else unless they have some special job that distinguishes them from what everyone else with similar responsibilities do. Whether you call yourself a security guard or "public safety protection agent," pretty much everyone who sees you is going to recognize you as being a "security guard" and will most likely refer to you as one, so what is the point in creating some fancy title, other than satisfying the ego?
                    Last edited by Security; 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM.
                    111th PAPD Class
                    Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                      Personally, I just call myself a Risk Manager as it encompasses a good 6 key areas and it is easier to explain. If I said Asset Protection - they would ask are you a security guard and would end up with a black eye for that.
                      So you're saying that you're ashamed of being called a security guard, or that being a security guard is too beneath you?
                      111th PAPD Class
                      Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Security View Post
                        I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this, but at this level, does it really matter if your title is guard, officer, or - lol - "agent"? It's still the same job, regardless of what you decide to call yourself. Here, I just refer to my staff as security guards since that is what the general public recognizes them as. I don't see the point in calling a security guard anything else unless they have some special job that distinguishes them from what everyone else with similar responsibilities do. Whether you call yourself a security guard or "public safety protection agent," pretty much everyone who sees you is going to recognize you as being a "security guard" and will most likely refer to you as one, so what is the point in creating some fancy title, other than satisfying the ego?
                        Pride in one's profession? Just a thought... I am proud of what I do, so I don't consider myself "just a Guard". My job entails multitudes more then just "guarding" something or someone... My 2 cents
                        "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          call me whatever.....

                          I have been called all kinds of things=

                          As a ranger- Squirrel Sheriff, Twig Pig, Ranger *ick, Power Ranger.

                          The things I was called as a deputy sheriff I will not post on this forum.

                          Now, I work in loss prevention and I am a Regional Loss Prevention Manager. But I respond to ***hole just as responsively.

                          Because when it comes down to the line and you are getting handcuffed I am a private person making an arrest, so who really cares!

                          Justice_Hound
                          LP Manager
                          We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
                          -George Orwell

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by SecureTN View Post
                            Pride in one's profession? Just a thought... I am proud of what I do, so I don't consider myself "just a Guard". My job entails multitudes more then just "guarding" something or someone... My 2 cents
                            There is nothing wrong with having pride in one's profession, so long as you are proud of the job you were hired for. I guess I just feel that people should not try to inflate their jobs titles if it's not really necessary. Reminds me of the dot-com era back in the 90s when Internet entrepreneurs were calling themselves anything that sounded cool (Chief Idea Guy, Chief Photocopying Officer, etc.) I think the title security officer is perfectly acceptible/appropriate, but anything other than that is a bit much, IMO.
                            111th PAPD Class
                            Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Security View Post
                              There is nothing wrong with having pride in one's profession, so long as you are proud of the job you were hired for. I guess I just feel that people should not try to inflate their jobs titles if it's not really necessary. Reminds me of the dot-com era back in the 90s when Internet entrepreneurs were calling themselves anything that sounded cool (Chief Idea Guy, Chief Photocopying Officer, etc.) I think the title security officer is perfectly acceptible/appropriate, but anything other than that is a bit much, IMO.
                              It is done as a marketing tool. We only have 4 Sales people in the hotel but one is the DIRECTOR of Corporate Sales, the other DIRECTOR of Tour & Travel etc. Makes the customer think they are dealing with the top person in the department no matter who they are dealing with.

                              I am one who does not like being called a Guard - in fact I believe the new Quebec law will reserve the French version "Garde" for those doing O&R Watchman type security. So maybe I am stroking my ego - it's mine to stroke
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                For my profession, we couldn't be called "protection officers" because we don't really have an office. I'm told that we're called Special Agents because we're more than just a bodyguard.

                                After all, we have to be good at more things than firing a gun or taking someone out in close quarters combat. We also have to be excellent drivers and very skilled in pursuit driving, evasive driving, and ambush defense while driving. We have to be unbelievably fast, accurate, and effective in a practical situation with a handgun (or carbine if you work in very high risk areas). We have to be equally skilled in First Aid/First Respondant Medicine and other skills like that. We have to be intelligent enough to proactively out-think would-be criminals, or even smart enough to be able to detect minor risks (falling on stairs, car crashes) - yes, even a car crash caused by someone else is our responsibility. If our client falls on stairs that are unmarked by reflective tape, it's our responsibility. If our client chokes on a piece of meat, it's our responsibility. And of course we have to be knowledgable on laws and policies of any countries that a client wants to travel to. To top it all off, we have to be skilled and experienced at managing security at special events, because if our client is involved, we become essentially the head of security.

                                I'm using my profession as an example, because I know it the best

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X