Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA guards ! Do you work at a gate entrance logging in semi trucks ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA guards ! Do you work at a gate entrance logging in semi trucks ??

Had you ever come across a truck driver who's hesitant to show his drivers license ??

He'll claim he's concerned with identity theft, and refuses to show his license ?? In order for someone to steal your identity, they need your social security number, not your state's driver license number.

When you come across these uncooperative truckers, take a moment to observe the truck he's driving. Most likely, he's an owner-operator. Most of these guys will customize the truck's lettering, and have "Owned & Operated by..." painted on the side of the tractor. Once you've established you're dealing with an owner operator, this is an indication he's hiding something from you.

If a trucker is a company driver, the insurance company makes a daily check to lookup the driver's commercial license status. When the state's motor vehicle dept suspends or revokes a license, an alert is immediately sent to the carrier (trucking company) who in turn will order the driver to park the tractor, and wait until another driver is sent out to retrieve the tractor and trailer. The driver is ordered not to operate the tractor under any circumstances.

This is not the case with owner-operators. When an owner-operator had gotten their license revoked/suspended, a lot of them will continue to drive the tractor. They get their shipments from load brokers, who are not aware the driver no longer holds a valid license. Evidence of this is a chain-reaction truck accident on Oct. 12, 2007 in Newhall, California.

On that evening, a 30 semi-truck collision took place on a blind-curve tunnel. Out of 30 semi trucks, 9 truckers; or 30% of the truckers involved, fled the scene. The California Highway Patrol had never determined who, or why, the truckers abandoned their trucks and fled from the scene. This event is
    evidence how widespread it is that truckers are driving without a valid license.

Some of these truckers had used false documents (fake birth certificate and fake social security card) to secure a commercial license, then the MV dept later realized this, and the license is revoked, but the trucker continues to drive. Another reason to revoke a trucker's license is failure to pay his child support payments, or he had unpaid traffic tickets, and traffic warrants outstanding.

If the trucker is Latino-Hispanic, fake drivers license and ID cards are commonly used by illegal aliens. With a UV (ultraviolet) flashlight, shine the UV onto the surface of a state-issued drivers license, and you'll see features that are not visible to the human eye until the license is held under a UV light. A fake drivers license (purchased in the black market and produced by professional counterfieters) will not have these hidden UV features.

UV flashlights can be purchased from Ebay, and police uniform supply retailers.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

So in conclusion, if a truck driver refuses to show his ID, advice him (or her) that you suspect they're driving on a suspended or revoked license, or carrying a fake commercial license; and you will call the police/sheriff/state trooper to the scene if they continue to resist. Observe their reaction to this.

What is the scope of your authority regarding the state traffic code and fraudulent/counterfeit driver's licenses?

In order for someone to steal your identity, they need your social security number, not your state's driver license number.
    That isn’t true. A savvy criminal can use any morsel of information to facilitate identify theft. DLN’s are increasingly being targeted.
    Last edited by Tennsix; 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM.
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix View Post
      That isn’t true. A savvy criminal can use any morsel of information to facilitate identify theft. DLN’s are increasingly being targeted.
      You're correct, DLNs are used to create fake driver's license's, and people will impersonate them. However, it is illegal aliens who often engage in identity theft to use someone's DLN, and impersonate them to drive a vehicle.

The damage created by identity theft of DLN is not detrimental to one's personal record, as identity theft of SSN. When an illegal alien racks up moving violations on your DLN, you simply go to your state's MV office, report identity theft of your DLN and someone is committing moving violations on your name, and they simply revoke the DLN and issue you another DLN. Course, the bitch part is having to travel to every city court that had issued the traffic warrant for failure to appear, and obtain documentation from each court stating the case is had been dismissed.

I was in traffic court one time and witnessed such a case where the issuing officer had to appear and identify the person cited. The officer really couldn't remember if he was the person he had cited because the incident was over 2 months ago. The defendant had to produce written statements, typed on company letterhead, that on the day and time the citation was issued, he was working at his place of employment. The judge dismissed the case.

Granted, if you were the victim of identity theft of your DLN, you'd need to travel to every court thats handling the moving violation case. I'd imagine the state MV would at least temporarily suspend your current DLN, issue you a temporary DLN, and give you time to gather the documents from each court to vindicate yourself.

Its a pain in the a**, but its not as damaging as getting your SSN stolen, and the thief uses it to open charge accounts and then max-out each credit card in your name, and you're stuck with the bill. I've read at other websites that it takes years to resolve this type of identity theft, because credit card companies will insist you opened the acct; and it was not an identity theft case.

I notice you're in S. Central Indiana; I'm in California. Since 9-11 Twin Towers, didn't they increase security control access into warehouses in your state ?? In California, there had been concern of terrorist attack to target the food chain supply. Food warehouses and manufacturers are concern a terrorist, disguised as a trucker, will enter their facility to do some damage. Some warehouses here in the west had begun taking DLNs at the gate entrance, so they have something to go by if sabotage were to take place, and the perpetrator turns out to be a trucker.

We've also had pass cases of truckers presenting fake DLs, picking up a loaded trailer, then going out the gate with trailers full of merchandise. The company doesn't realize they've been robbed till the real trucker shows up, asking where his load is.

To curtail this, shippers require pre-registration of names, thumbprints, DLNs, and a digital photo of the driver. As a trucker shows up to pick up a loaded trailer, his identity is confirmed, and his thumb print is matched to whats on file, before they release the trailer number. When he goes out the gate, his pict image is brought up on the screen to confirm he's the same driver who drove onto the facility. I'm not far from Long Beach, a major entry and unloading port for imported goods from Asia.

Truck cargo thieves are very sophisticated in my area. When they succeed in stealing a loaded trailer, they take it to a warehouse, the trailer is unloaded, then the stolen empty trailer is abandoned somewhere on a vacant lot or street, just 2 or 3 hrs after the trailer is reported stolen.

I just thought of something; you're in S. central Indiana, like maybe a small town ?? You don't have very many incidents of stolen trucks, do you ??
      Truck hijackings, and stolen cargoes are very common in large cities. The fact that truckers are tied up at gunpoint, then the thief drives away with the truck and trailer, means these thieves are truckers themselves.

It takes special training to drive a semi truck. It usually takes at least 5 hrs of supervised training to learn how to operate a big-rig truck, and another week to learn the ins-n-outs of operating a semi through city traffic. If you look at my post in "Introductions," I drove a semi truck for over 2 decades. This is why I'm familiar with the shady side of the trucking industry.

Comment

This is a great example of the kind of security breeches that can occur with fake IDs. I have a great deal of experience working with fake IDs in the nightclub setting, and I always though the possibilities are endless (ex. gym memberships, new car test drives...).

Also I recently have started to see the UV markings on CA IDs being faked. The quality is poor, but I have seen 3 color fake UV markings.

Also be careful to check the picture with equal scrutiny. Juan might be illegal, but maybe he's just using his brother Carlos' old ID... (oh wait in CA illegals can get real DL at the DMV anyways) but you get the idea, check the picture and ht/wt/eye/hair too.

Also check out this thread:
        http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=2909
        Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

I wouldn't do it

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
          Private citizens in California may arrest for any misdemeanor in their presence. Since the guy is in operation of a motor vehicle in their presence, they would be authorized to make an arrest for the misdemeanor. Even if they chose not to, presenting ID sounds like a condition of entry. If they don't want to show their ID, then they can go away.
          I wouldn't do it. I'd tell the guy to turn the truck around & leave, if he refuses to show his DL. Another option is to call his company's dispatcher, and report their driver is being uncooperative. These truckers work long hours, putting in 16 hours a day (or more). Their logbooks are routinely falsified, because you earn more $$ if you put in more hours. Working long hours, and going through periods of sleep deprivation, can leave you cranky & easily agitated.

Because these owner-operators own their tractors, they're not subject to company policies of what they can & can't carry on their possession. Some of them will carry a handgun in the truck to protect against truck hijackers, and robberies at the rest areas. Its best to verbally resolve the situation, and not take physical action.

If the situation is deteriorating to require physically handling the trucker, its VERY IMPORTANT to get him away from his tractor. Maybe tell him his dispatcher is on the phone, and wishes to talk to him. Once he's away from the tractor, DO NOT let him return to his truck. He may be carrying a gun in the sleeper cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix View Post
            What is the scope of your authority regarding the state traffic code and fraudulent/counterfeit driver's licenses?

Private citizens in California may arrest for any misdemeanor in their presence. Since the guy is in operation of a motor vehicle in their presence, they would be authorized to make an arrest for the misdemeanor.

Even if they chose not to, presenting ID sounds like a condition of entry. If they don't want to show their ID, then they can go away.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I just thought of something; you're in S. central Indiana, like maybe a small town ?? You don't have very many incidents of stolen trucks, do you ??
              A lot more goes in Indiana than TV would lead people to think. I work for a state agency but I am assigned to a community of of about 130K people. It's the big city but it's far from the small town you envision. Im paid well and I enjoy my job.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                Private citizens in California may arrest for any misdemeanor in their presence. Since the guy is in operation of a motor vehicle in their presence, they would be authorized to make an arrest for the misdemeanor.

Even if they chose not to, presenting ID sounds like a condition of entry. If they don't want to show their ID, then they can go away.
                I'm clear on the entry situation. I just wasn't clear on how far he could pursue the fake DL.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OMG_Ihatethisjob View Post
                  With a UV (ultraviolet) flashlight, shine the UV onto the surface of a state-issued drivers license, and you'll see features that are not visible to the human eye until the license is held under a UV light.
                  This is something I've recently started doing at work as well. I see a ton of DLs on a daily basis, but primarily from WA, VA and CA. The interesting ones are the passports, especially the South Korean ones....They almost carry more UV features than visible ones.

Comment

Currently I log in drivers when issuing a scale ticket but our policy doesn't call for inspecting Drivers licenses. This is a low risk steel mill so we don't have much in the way of actual security when it comes to access control.
                    When interviewing at a chemical plant this week I noted that the SOs there required everyone driving into the plant to present a current, valid DL. I guess it just depends on where you are posted and how strict they want to be.

Steve
                    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Only worked one post where we checked truckers in and they didnt' care about the driver, just wanted to know about the load. And now, they decided that was too expensive and they got rid of the guards.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X