X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zm88
    replied
    Originally posted by Security_K9_Guy View Post
    Ye the mall pays to have on duty police officers there.
    i
    Ok, that seems like a good plan. Prevention+appropriate response to incidents at the site.

Leave a comment:

• Security_K9_Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by zm88 View Post
    You mean an attatchment of police officers right? Cops assigned to tge mall.
    Yes the mall pays to have on duty police officers there.

Leave a comment:

• zm88
    replied
    Where I work there is a mall squad of police officers. When something is found they would be contacted.
    You mean an attatchment of police officers right? Cops assigned to tge mall.

Leave a comment:

• Security_K9_Guy
    replied
    Where I work there is a mall squad of police officers. When something is found they would be contacted.

Leave a comment:

• zm88
    replied
    Are these k-9 teams allowed to act after they find something? Let's say the dog is found its routine, and comes along a bag somebody is carry and it detects something. Does the s/o have authority to detain the person/parcel until LE arrives? I think having theae would only make sense if there were 1-3 police officers detailed to the site, depending on the size of the mall.

Leave a comment:

• gixxer32404
    replied
    I know this is an old thread and I found it while using my awesome google fu abilities I figured I would comment on it since it directly applies to me.

IPC K-9 teams are regional teams that work several malls in a geograhic area with the exception of myself and I work at only one of two malls that has a full time K-9 team.

All handlers must have experience as a Law Enforcement or Military K-9 handler.

Once hired all handlers must attened training and certify as a team through the American Working Dog. Exact same training as Law Enforcement

All dogs are dual purpose patrol/detection and highly social unlike many police teams.

Our program is highly public relations oriented and it is very succesful. We are very well accepted by the customers and the retailers. Some retailers have purchased dog treats and toys for a little play time when we visit their stores and it is kind of cool when you get kids coming up to you to say hi because they remembered you from before or the kids that beg their parents to go to the mall so they can pet your K-9. It is also great when you can educate people on the K-9 program, training, and the K-9 itself. I have met with people from all over the world and I can assure you with the number of photos we pose for and people we meet we are helping create good memories for those that visit our mall.

Second to PR they are great for deterence. My K-9 has been blogged about as a warning not to to bring drugs into the mall. I have also had people see me and turn around and leave, either because they were up to no good or have a fear of my fluffy four legged friend. Not many security officers have that effect on the criminal element. Also the fact that just my presence with both security and local Law Enforcement has caused some to reconsider fighting or running. A few loud barks can usually chill people out.

As for our apprehension and detection abilities I am not going to discuss it on an open forum. I am also not getting into a liabilty debate with anyone.

As the training issue has been brought up. I train with my K-9 on a near daily basis both at work and on my days off. I have a minimum number of hours I am required to train each month covering all the abilities of my K-9. I train with federal and local Law Enforcement agencies all the time.

I have a great relationship with local Law Enforcement and they have requested my presence while they make stops on our property because they respect us and our abilities.

I have also provided a K-9 presence for numerous VIP guests that have visited the mall from foriegn heads of state, models, and recording artists.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and I will be more than happy to try and answer them.
    Nice post...

Leave a comment:

• capurato
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    MOA Security is such an oddity that they made a TV show about them. You can tell something is so far from normal as to be entertaining when a reality TV show is showing up at your door.
    I laughed at mall cops tv show. The chick tried to portray a badass sgt, but in reality she was a heavy make up wearing ......LOL

I can't remember but do they all wear vests. If I remember correctly a former Israeli militart guy runs their covert ops.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
    Mall of America Security has their own explosive detection k9 teams. It seems to work well for them.
    MOA Security is such an oddity that they made a TV show about them. You can tell something is so far from normal as to be entertaining when a reality TV show is showing up at your door.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    K-9 ops in shopping centers? That's not a liability that I'd care to assume. My initial reaction is "BOGUS!", but....
    Mall of America Security has their own explosive detection k9 teams. It seems to work well for them.

Leave a comment:

• Security_K9_Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by capurato View Post
    IPC is contracted for GGP for K9 and uniform. It is a GGP Mall on East Coast.
    I know who he is. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• capurato
    replied
    What mall and what company is providing the K-9 service?
    IPC is contracted for GGP for K9 and uniform. It is a GGP Mall on East Coast.

Leave a comment:

• Security_K9_Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by capurato View Post
    We have a k-9 at our mall. The officers are in all black uniforms and they carry batons which the regular mall officers do not. We radio mall to clear out our outside sidewalk after closing as the juveniles tend to congregate. They bring the dog and people scatter.
    What mall and what company is providing the K-9 service?

Leave a comment:

• Security_K9_Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    How do your dogs know when they're working if they're being constantly played with? Do you take your dog home with you, and if so, does the dog understand that its not working when not at the mall?
    It is going to be difficult for me to put this into words to where it makes any sense even to me. When we are home I let him be a dog. He has an at home collar and at home leash which are different than what he wears at work. When we are getting ready for work I put on different collars and a harness. Since this becomes a ritual he has learned to associate this equipment with work time and not home time.

At work we only play as a reward for being good or to relieve his boredom and keep him excited about wanting to work. We train a lot during our day some of it not so obvious and to a lot of people appears we are playing.

Also I choose when people get to interact with us. Most of the time it is a quick pat and then question and answer time for dad. It is a delicate balance to maintain the family friendly K-9 apperance with the don't F with me because you may get bit.

When I mentioned one time where I worked the reply was "Ahhhh where the millionare Jew and the ghetto thug meet."

Leave a comment:

• capurato
    replied
    We have a k-9 at our mall. The officers are in all black uniforms and they carry batons which the regular mall officers do not. We radio mall to clear out our outside sidewalk after closing as the juveniles tend to congregate. They bring the dog and people scatter.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    How do your dogs know when they're working if they're being constantly played with? Do you take your dog home with you, and if so, does the dog understand that its not working when not at the mall?

How do you handle detections by your dog, especially in Florida where you do not have statutory arrest authority? Does this become a "ask to leave" issue? I can see detection dogs working with private security in codified arrest states, where your training and experience leads you to have probable cause that the crime of possession is occurring based on your dog's alert, but when you don't have arrest authority, this leads more to a "please go away and don't come back" instead of an arrest for contraband.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X