IPC K-9 Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IPC 332
    since leaving that property I have not been able to ever work at another property since that employs that corporation. Whats that say? Black balled, humm. I love to get in more details, but you can understand why I won't.
    Yeah, unfortunately that's usually the company policy regarding re-hires unless you had a good rapport with your former Director, and I completely understand not going into detail about it.

Back to the original topic of this thread: Has anyone actually seen these K-9 teams in the malls? We did a trial run in the Chicago area (near our corp. office) and I know we have a team in the Orlando area as well now. Just curious how often they're actually deployed. I've been pushing for a team here in CA, it only seems right considering we're the largest and most condense market IPC has, but so far, no luck.

"Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" -Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by IPC 332
      I thought it was a violation or workers right to talk badily about pasted employees. Somthing seems fishy here or am I reading this wrong.
      Sorry, let me explain. When someone resigns or is terminated, on the exit paperwork, the Director will check whether or not the person is considered re-hireable, based on their opinion of the employee's performance. Not really fair, because if you had issues with your Director, that could affect your re-hire status, but it's a standardized policy. Also, you are right, if a new company calls for a reference, all we can tell them is yes, you worked for us, title, pay, f/t or p/t and if you are re-hireable, we can't give them any details though. However, if you go to another IPC property, it's all the same company, so the new Director would have access to any derogotory information that may or may not be in your employee file. Hope that clarifies.

The LEDs on the dash and in the grill are nice. I knew the teams were regional, I just wasn't sure if anyone had actually seen them at one of their local malls. We have a concentration of about 30-40 properties from LA to San Diego, so to have one or two teams here would be a great idea, I haven't been able to convince them yet though.
      "Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" -Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Public Safety View Post
        Also, you are right, if a new company calls for a reference, all we can tell them is yes, you worked for us, title, pay, f/t or p/t and if you are re-hireable, we can't give them any details though.
        I've seen a trend that more and more employers won't even state if an employee is re-hireable due to the potential liability. Anyone else see this happening?
        sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

I know this is an old thread and I found it while using my awesome google fu abilities I figured I would comment on it since it directly applies to me.

IPC K-9 teams are regional teams that work several malls in a geograhic area with the exception of myself and I work at only one of two malls that has a full time K-9 team.

All handlers must have experience as a Law Enforcement or Military K-9 handler.

Once hired all handlers must attened training and certify as a team through the American Working Dog. Exact same training as Law Enforcement

All dogs are dual purpose patrol/detection and highly social unlike many police teams.

Our program is highly public relations oriented and it is very succesful. We are very well accepted by the customers and the retailers. Some retailers have purchased dog treats and toys for a little play time when we visit their stores and it is kind of cool when you get kids coming up to you to say hi because they remembered you from before or the kids that beg their parents to go to the mall so they can pet your K-9. It is also great when you can educate people on the K-9 program, training, and the K-9 itself. I have met with people from all over the world and I can assure you with the number of photos we pose for and people we meet we are helping create good memories for those that visit our mall.

Second to PR they are great for deterence. My K-9 has been blogged about as a warning not to to bring drugs into the mall. I have also had people see me and turn around and leave, either because they were up to no good or have a fear of my fluffy four legged friend. Not many security officers have that effect on the criminal element. Also the fact that just my presence with both security and local Law Enforcement has caused some to reconsider fighting or running. A few loud barks can usually chill people out.

As for our apprehension and detection abilities I am not going to discuss it on an open forum. I am also not getting into a liabilty debate with anyone.

As the training issue has been brought up. I train with my K-9 on a near daily basis both at work and on my days off. I have a minimum number of hours I am required to train each month covering all the abilities of my K-9. I train with federal and local Law Enforcement agencies all the time.

I have a great relationship with local Law Enforcement and they have requested my presence while they make stops on our property because they respect us and our abilities.

I have also provided a K-9 presence for numerous VIP guests that have visited the mall from foriegn heads of state, models, and recording artists.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and I will be more than happy to try and answer them.

Comment

How do your dogs know when they're working if they're being constantly played with? Do you take your dog home with you, and if so, does the dog understand that its not working when not at the mall?

How do you handle detections by your dog, especially in Florida where you do not have statutory arrest authority? Does this become a "ask to leave" issue? I can see detection dogs working with private security in codified arrest states, where your training and experience leads you to have probable cause that the crime of possession is occurring based on your dog's alert, but when you don't have arrest authority, this leads more to a "please go away and don't come back" instead of an arrest for contraband.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

We have a k-9 at our mall. The officers are in all black uniforms and they carry batons which the regular mall officers do not. We radio mall to clear out our outside sidewalk after closing as the juveniles tend to congregate. They bring the dog and people scatter.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                How do your dogs know when they're working if they're being constantly played with? Do you take your dog home with you, and if so, does the dog understand that its not working when not at the mall?
                It is going to be difficult for me to put this into words to where it makes any sense even to me. When we are home I let him be a dog. He has an at home collar and at home leash which are different than what he wears at work. When we are getting ready for work I put on different collars and a harness. Since this becomes a ritual he has learned to associate this equipment with work time and not home time.

At work we only play as a reward for being good or to relieve his boredom and keep him excited about wanting to work. We train a lot during our day some of it not so obvious and to a lot of people appears we are playing.

Also I choose when people get to interact with us. Most of the time it is a quick pat and then question and answer time for dad. It is a delicate balance to maintain the family friendly K-9 apperance with the don't F with me because you may get bit.

When I mentioned one time where I worked the reply was "Ahhhh where the millionare Jew and the ghetto thug meet."

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                  We have a k-9 at our mall. The officers are in all black uniforms and they carry batons which the regular mall officers do not. We radio mall to clear out our outside sidewalk after closing as the juveniles tend to congregate. They bring the dog and people scatter.
                  What mall and what company is providing the K-9 service?

Comment

Originally posted by Security_K9_Guy View Post
                    What mall and what company is providing the K-9 service?
                    IPC is contracted for GGP for K9 and uniform. It is a GGP Mall on East Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                      IPC is contracted for GGP for K9 and uniform. It is a GGP Mall on East Coast.
                      I know who he is. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                        K-9 ops in shopping centers? That's not a liability that I'd care to assume. My initial reaction is "BOGUS!", but....
                        Mall of America Security has their own explosive detection k9 teams. It seems to work well for them.
                        Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                          Mall of America Security has their own explosive detection k9 teams. It seems to work well for them.
                          MOA Security is such an oddity that they made a TV show about them. You can tell something is so far from normal as to be entertaining when a reality TV show is showing up at your door.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                            MOA Security is such an oddity that they made a TV show about them. You can tell something is so far from normal as to be entertaining when a reality TV show is showing up at your door.
                            I laughed at mall cops tv show. The chick tried to portray a badass sgt, but in reality she was a heavy make up wearing ......LOL

I can't remember but do they all wear vests. If I remember correctly a former Israeli militart guy runs their covert ops.

Comment

Originally posted by Security_K9_Guy View Post
                              I know this is an old thread and I found it while using my awesome google fu abilities I figured I would comment on it since it directly applies to me.

IPC K-9 teams are regional teams that work several malls in a geograhic area with the exception of myself and I work at only one of two malls that has a full time K-9 team.

All handlers must have experience as a Law Enforcement or Military K-9 handler.

Once hired all handlers must attened training and certify as a team through the American Working Dog. Exact same training as Law Enforcement

All dogs are dual purpose patrol/detection and highly social unlike many police teams.

Our program is highly public relations oriented and it is very succesful. We are very well accepted by the customers and the retailers. Some retailers have purchased dog treats and toys for a little play time when we visit their stores and it is kind of cool when you get kids coming up to you to say hi because they remembered you from before or the kids that beg their parents to go to the mall so they can pet your K-9. It is also great when you can educate people on the K-9 program, training, and the K-9 itself. I have met with people from all over the world and I can assure you with the number of photos we pose for and people we meet we are helping create good memories for those that visit our mall.

Second to PR they are great for deterence. My K-9 has been blogged about as a warning not to to bring drugs into the mall. I have also had people see me and turn around and leave, either because they were up to no good or have a fear of my fluffy four legged friend. Not many security officers have that effect on the criminal element. Also the fact that just my presence with both security and local Law Enforcement has caused some to reconsider fighting or running. A few loud barks can usually chill people out.

As for our apprehension and detection abilities I am not going to discuss it on an open forum. I am also not getting into a liabilty debate with anyone.

As the training issue has been brought up. I train with my K-9 on a near daily basis both at work and on my days off. I have a minimum number of hours I am required to train each month covering all the abilities of my K-9. I train with federal and local Law Enforcement agencies all the time.

I have a great relationship with local Law Enforcement and they have requested my presence while they make stops on our property because they respect us and our abilities.

I have also provided a K-9 presence for numerous VIP guests that have visited the mall from foriegn heads of state, models, and recording artists.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and I will be more than happy to try and answer them.
                              Nice post...
                              THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Are these k-9 teams allowed to act after they find something? Let's say the dog is found its routine, and comes along a bag somebody is carry and it detects something. Does the s/o have authority to detain the person/parcel until LE arrives? I think having theae would only make sense if there were 1-3 police officers detailed to the site, depending on the size of the mall.
                                Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X