IPC K-9 Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPC K-9 Teams

I was reading this online. I have yet to see security K-9 Teams in malls. Mostly we see the PD K-9 and they are barking loudly to make the teens move.

http://www.ipcinternational.com/news...asp?NEWS_ID=70

2/20/2008
    IPC INTERNATIONAL’S CANINE CORPS PROGRAM IS ON PATROL

Bannockburn, IL. - IPC International Corporation, the nation’s premier provider of shopping center security, continues to expand its K-9 Security Services to strengthen security delivery options for its clients and the patrons who visit their centers.

“We are truly excited about the opportunities this program offers,” states Howard Kaplan, President and CEO of IPC International Corporation. “The development of this program required a great deal of time, planning, training and investment. It’s gratifying to see the expertise and structure we’ve built in the program is being embraced by clients as evidenced by the increasing demand for this specialized service,” Kaplan added.

IPC’s K-9 Security Services is under the command of Chad DuBose, Director, National K-9 Operations. DuBose is a former U.S. Marine K-9 Kennel Master with extensive field and organizational experience in K-9 operations.

Training is the foundation of the program and IPC’s K-9 Security Service teams are certified through the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Academy and American Working Dogs for patrol and detection. Additionally, all team handlers and their K-9 partners are certified in explosive detection and controlled aggression tactics through the Vohn Liche training academy in Denver, Indiana. The Vohn Liche academy is a highly regarded police K-9 training facility, extensively used by police departments and government agencies from across the nation, including the U.S. Secret Service White House detail.

A critical parameter for IPC’s K-9 Security Services is to maintain a low key and friendly interaction between patrons and employees of the shopping center. However, the quiet presence of a K-9 team passing by, or posting near, groups of people causing shopper or tenant concern has proven to have a noticeable and consistently positive influence on behavior. During the pilot portion of our program IPC K-9 Security Services were cited by patrons as a welcome addition to the center helping to maintain a positive shopping experience. While the goal of our K-9 Security Service teams is to blend in with the center and provide another layer of security and peace of mind, these extremely disciplined, well-trained security canines can be called into and out of action at a moment’s notice.

Also, in talking to many security officers and security directors in the past months, I have noticed them mention that they are now using hybrid security officer teams. They are sticking with the high visibility officers but are also using undercovers who can move in on offenders that they or the camera operators spot.

Comment

Originally posted by LPCap View Post
      Also, in talking to many security officers and security directors in the past months, I have noticed them mention that they are now using hybrid security officer teams. They are sticking with the high visibility officers but are also using undercovers who can move in on offenders that they or the camera operators spot.
      My daughter & sister used to work in a large office complexe with an underground mall in downtown Montreal. (The one on all our postcards - Place Ville Marie). They used the 3 pronged approach to Security. They spot an incident on their cameras, send a plainclothed officer to get a closer look & send a uniformed officer to make the intervention.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

IPC International is a joke. They cant handle or effectivly run their own business let alone handle a dog.
        "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
          IPC International is a joke. They cant handle or effectivly run their own business let alone handle a dog.
          You can't just say that and not elaborate. What are the problems that you see?
          Jerry
          http://personalprotectionconcepts.info

Comment

K-9 ops in shopping centers? That's not a liability that I'd care to assume. My initial reaction is "BOGUS!", but....
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

They aren't willing to arm mall security officers, but let them have a K-9 Team?

I actually agree with having K-9's in malls (that need them). Have you ever been to a mall at closing with hundreds (200-300) rowdy juveniles who refuse to leave? It is an awesome site when the PD comes rolling through, K-9 barking, pulling hard at the leash and lights flashing. Kids scatter and the mall is able to be locked up. Those malls are the most fun...

Comment

They aren't willing to arm mall security officers, but let them have a K-9 Team?

I actually agree with having K-9's in malls (that need them). Have you ever been to a mall at closing with hundreds (200-300) rowdy juveniles who refuse to leave? It is an awesome site when the PD comes rolling through, K-9 barking, pulling hard at the leash and lights flashing. Kids scatter and the mall is able to be locked up. Those malls are the most fun...
                Once they see this they're not as tough anymore are they? I love it.
                Support Our Military
                Brigade QM

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                  Just curious, because this was never explained, why you think IPC is a joke? I have worked for them for 3 years, and I will admit, they have their quarks, as do most companies (I haven't found a perfect one yet), but I have to say they are by far the best security company I have work for thus far.

We currently service over 400 shopping centers in the US and an additional 50 in the United Kingdom. We have competetive pay, medical/dental/vision benefits, bi-annual raises, paid sick and vacation time, paid training, 401K, Employee Stock Plan (no cost to us), etc... So it seems to me IPC is a very well run company.

So, please elaborate why they are a joke, and can't run their business.
                  "Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" -Matthew 5:9

Comment

I worked security at a mall for years, work for a college now and am a dog trainer.
                    K-9 is being used all over by security Disney World, Hospitals, colleges.. IPC seems to be using this as a very high level position only looking for people who have been handlers before in law enforcement. Not hiring the 18yro kids that tend to be working mall security (tho i started at the mall at 18) .

I do have to question the control even the police have over their dogs.
                    the pulling on the leash, unless given a command to do so shows an scary lack of control over the dog. I see this over an over with police officers k-9s.

Comment

Mall of America has two or three K9s working. They are constantly training and have a good program from what I have experienced with them. I do believe that all the dogs are for explosives, no bite dogs.
                      Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

Mall of America is in-house, versus IPC being a contract provider, thus the different styles at different locations, depending on the property owner.

Actually, IPC's K-9 teams are primarily for PR. However, the dogs are all trained in explosive and narcotics detection, as well as controlled aggression for handler protection. Obviously, it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen for a private security company to have overly aggressive, under-trained dogs, with incomptent handlers in a packed shopping center environment. Thus, this is why IPC only selects handlers with prior military or law enforcement K-9 handling experience. The handler and the dog go through a nationally recognized training facility, side by side with LEOs and their dogs and complete regular training as do LEOs to ensure the dog is safe to be in the field. Of course, no one can predict the future, and I'm sure at some point there will be a lawsuit. But today's security professionals have access to almost every level of force tool an LEO does, it only make's sense to bring K-9s into the equation.

By the way, I'm still waiting for an explanation from FireEMSPolice about why IPC is so incompetent. I'll take it from the silence that there was no justifiable reason for that comment.
                        Last edited by SoCal Public Safety; 09-03-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmpireK9 View Post
                          I worked security at a mall for years, work for a college now and am a dog trainer.
                          K-9 is being used all over by security Disney World, Hospitals, colleges.. IPC seems to be using this as a very high level position only looking for people who have been handlers before in law enforcement. Not hiring the 18yro kids that tend to be working mall security (tho i started at the mall at 18) .

I do have to question the control even the police have over their dogs.
                          the pulling on the leash, unless given a command to do so shows an scary lack of control over the dog. I see this over an over with police officers k-9s.

I see that you question the experiential aspect of LE handlers? What might you suggest, that LE K-9 handlers do to bridge what you seemingly insinuate is a dire state of training shortfall? Should they step up to, say, mall security to get some *real* high-speed experience?

I work on both the LE and security sides of the house. With all of those who would make generalizations about security personnel, I find it greatly amusing how many would make statements such as yours. . . . Do you have empirical evidence in these vast observations of police "over and over" that commands were never sent down the leads? --K.
                          Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

IPC around here doesn't have a stellar reputation. A group of their officers were caught stealing tons of merchandise from a mall they were assigned to.

We had a guy that worked for our company in a very low level non security job who could best be described as "developmentally delayed". He left the company to go and work for IPC and still works there from what I have heard.

Every big company has issues like this though and it could happen anywhere. Contract security is not known for having long term employees as officers. There is a long term commitment (at least 8 years or so) required to be a K-9 handler and you can't just give the dog to a new trainer every six months.

Comment

CorpSec, I remember hearing about those guys arrested for burglarizing the stores. Bunch of idiots. Unfortunately you can't always tell the kind of people you are hiring. If you hear the whole story, a "concerned customer" called IPC and told them about the thefts. IPC turned it over to the local police and had them arrested. So, it's hard (in my opinion) to blame IPC for these ex-employees actions, but I see your point.

Also, regarding the "developmentally challenged" individual you mentioned. I had one of these working for me (I didn't hire him, I inherited him taking over a property). He was constantly giving me headaches, but because everyone is so sue happy (especially in CA) IPC was afraid to terminate him without an extremely good reason. I eventually hounded him on every mistake until he resigned. Cruel I know, but it was better than him getting me, or the rest of my staff, sued.

IPC 332, I'm sorry you had a bad first impression with IPC. I too have been at properties like that. It's kind of hit or miss really. I agree it is a job and not necessarily a career(although to some it is). However, until I get picked up by a LE agency, I figured I should excel at whatever I do and I worked my way up with IPC from an entry level PSO to a Director.

I just don't see how anyone can generalize and criticize an entire company (FireEMSPolice) without giving an explanation. I could criticize several of the large companies based on my observations, but obviously they're doing something right, because they're still in business.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X