Hospital Security In Wi (read Me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Security In Wi (read Me)

I work hospital security for one of the largest care facilities in Western Wisconsin. I am wondering what other security officers who work at hospitals are allowed to carry if anything, or tools they are given. I am told our counter parts under the same "family/ownership of facilities" in Mn are given handcuffs etc. Is anyone provided handcuffs or protective vests? We have had officers that were stabbed etc. We are allowed to use "soft" restraints however are not allowed handcuffs for legality reasons, which doesnt make sense since our other locations evidently are able to carry them. Anyone allowed to carry batons etc? Would like examples of other provisions as officers here are trying to make an argument for vests other tools etc. But we have been told that ofcourse these are not "cost effective"....stab-proof vests for each officer etc. Basically just giving us the run-around. Unfortunatly we probably will never be given any additional provisions unless an officer is "fatally injured". I would really appreciate any feedback...thanks alot.

The security officers at our hospitals carry OC, baton, handcuffs, radio, sidearm (and mags), and body amour.
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

Our hospital operates on a "nothing bad will happen" policy. Instead of providing security services, the guards are busy with valet and customer service. Of course, if anything does happen, the public can expect to hear "The safety of our employees is paramount" speech.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

At this point in time, my officers are only allowed to carry handcuffs. As the department is brought up to a higher level, I will start pushing for batons and OC.
        -Jedi-
        Semper Paratus

Comment

The two hospitals that my former company provided security services for were somewhat open-minded about Officer Safety.

Each Officer was put through PPCT minus the baton and firearm training, they were all OC certified and they also were put through Verbal Judo. At the time my position was discovered to be extraneous the hospital administration as contemplating the use of Tasers.

Vests were not supplied but a discount was negotiated with a local supplier if the individual wanted to purchase their own vest.
          Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

HCMC in Minneapolis carries;

radio (800 mhz system), handcuffs, OC Foam, baton, X-26 Taser w/camera, flashlight of choice, ballistic vest is provided upon hiring w/ majority replacement cost covered every 5 years, all belts and belt equipment holders. Also, initial issue includes 3 pairs of pants (6 pocket or EMT, your choice), 6 shirts (short or long sleeve, your choice), jacket, 2 badges, $100 towards boots, $435.00 every January for uniform allowance (some other non-issued items are allowed). Starting pay is typically $14.50 per hour, and tops out for officers at $21.95 per hour, supervisors top out around $27.00 p/h. Add to that an extra $1 p/h for night differential, $.90 p/h on weekends (Fri through Mon morning), $.90 p/h if you're a trainer, union, medical, dental, life insurance. 6 week training program. We are currently looking to hire 2 officers.

How "west" in WI do you live? One of our Sup's lives in Hudson. Food for thought...
            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
              HCMC in Minneapolis carries;

radio (800 mhz system), handcuffs, OC Foam, baton, X-26 Taser w/camera, flashlight of choice, ballistic vest is provided upon hiring w/ majority replacement cost covered every 5 years, all belts and belt equipment holders. Also, initial issue includes 3 pairs of pants (6 pocket or EMT, your choice), 6 shirts (short or long sleeve, your choice), jacket, 2 badges, $100 towards boots, $435.00 every January for uniform allowance (some other non-issued items are allowed). Starting pay is typically $14.50 per hour, and tops out for officers at $21.95 per hour, supervisors top out around $27.00 p/h. Add to that an extra $1 p/h for night differential, $.90 p/h on weekends (Fri through Mon morning), $.90 p/h if you're a trainer, union, medical, dental, life insurance. 6 week training program. We are currently looking to hire 2 officers.

How "west" in WI do you live? One of our Sup's lives in Hudson. Food for thought...

Not that far....I drove to the cities daily for 2 years when I worked construction all over the metro. Do you have contact info?? Also what shifts etc. are they looking to fill.

I am amazed at what other hospitals are providing!! We get nothing, I climbed into a ceiling and across a wall to drop down into an office of a VP who had locked his car keys on the other side and ripped my BDUs (that I had bought) in the process and was "rewarded" by the hospital replacing the pants. Otherwise we wear Black BDU's with a blue button up dress shirt. Which we buy @ $11 a pop at Wal-mart. I know I know but its the principal. Also we are provided a motorola professional series radio like law enforcment and a golf cart to patrol premesis. That is it however. ofcourse " employee saftey is paramount" however they are unwilling to provide any "training" for the use of cuffs. over 50% of the officers here are current law enforcement, retired or previous law enforcment so its kinda rediculous for them to not let us use anything. Especially when we DO deal with violent pts.

I continually send/forward stories of security gaurds in our area and at the national level injured in the line of duty to my supervisor trying to convince him to get us more equipment, however his motivation doesnt go much farther than making his way to the cafeteria 4-5 times a day.

Tasers would be great (not some guy looking to blast people), even strickly from a deterent standpoint, once they saw we had tasers I suspect the majority of people we have a problem with or went hands on with would have a different attitude if threatened with a taser. Power Percieved is Power Achieved.

SGTNEWBY I would really appreciate more info on that position, is it posted somwhere, is there a supervisor I could contact?
              Thanks alot fellas, I would also like to hear more about your hospital security!

Anyone work for Luther Middlefort MAYO health system??? In Rochester??

LIVEN LEARN....What the heck is "verbal judo". We had a "handling combative pts." class which was a joke and more about making sure the hospital doesnt get sued than protecting the officer from physical harm or EFFECTIVLY dealing with a violent pt.

Comment

WISECURE

http://www.hcmc.org

It's not currently posted but from what I understand, the hospital will still take applications. They're interviewing this week, so I'm not sure you would make this round. We have, however, been having a hard time finding qualified people. So, the process may be ongoing.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                  WISECURE

http://www.hcmc.org

It's not currently posted but from what I understand, the hospital will still take applications. They're interviewing this week, so I'm not sure you would make this round. We have, however, been having a hard time finding qualified people. So, the process may be ongoing.

I sent an email to HCMC HR explaining what I was interested in and requesting more info. I also took down their phone # and will give a call on Monday as well to see if I can send a resume in for the position. I have had supervisors tell me at multiple locations that due to the screening process i.e. background checks, DL and drug screens that less than 1/3 of all applicants are able to be hired. This obviously would vary by company and how stringent the guidlines were but these numbers came from a company that was fairly "liberal" in requirments. I appreciate the info. Hopefully I am able to send a resume in, even if they keep on record for the next time.

Comment

There is a difference between what we are issued and what we carry. We are only issued our uniforms, (4 long and 4 short shirts, and 4 pairs of pants), raido holders, raidos, and holster and ammo for armed officers (Safariland 070 Lvl III). We have to buy our own boots, belts, belt acessories, guns, speed loaders, batons, balistic vests, hats and hand cuffs.

We have the ability to go to our uniform supplier once a year and trade out shirts and pants. After 5 years with the company then you get an alotment at the store for other gear.

Sgt, there was talk of us getting tasers at our hospital. It was quickly shot down by our brass when the hospital suits said that if you want to carry tasers you have to give up your revolvers...
                    "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
                    some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
                      Sgt, there was talk of us getting tasers at our hospital. It was quickly shot down by our brass when the hospital suits said that if you want to carry tasers you have to give up your revolvers...
                      What they fail to realize, and all suits do, is that Tasers are not a replacement for firearms. Of course, I wouldn't want a revolver either... I feel a lot safer with auto's. Better retention holsters, quicker reload, etc...

Good article:
                      http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...-Gunfight.aspx

This article was written by one of our ER doc's, it helped us get them...
                      http://www.policemag.com/Articles/20...on-Lethal.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
                        That is asinine! A stun gun is not and was never intended to be an alternative to a firearm.
                        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                        -Lieutenant Commander Data
                        sigpic

Comment

Agreed, at least they are considering the possibility. We are not given shirt or pants, however we are given a windbreaker that says OFFICER on the back, right arm and left wrist. Dont get me wrong, I get payed 2 times what I got payed when working for a security company as a "flashlight cop". I get PTO, bennies if I want them, and the atmospher is alot better, there are MANY perks to working for a hospital, just wish they would open their eyes a little bit and consider alternatives to allow their officers to be able to do somthing. We go hands on alot, but right now if there was an "active shooter, or some guy coming into the ER and pounding on people etc." we would be able to do nothing. Call LE but "when seconds count, LE is minutes away" in this situation. Without the tools to do the job we are a false sense of security.

In the even of an active shooter we are to " get everyone out you can and get out yourself." The other thing I think is commical is that we practice baby drills monthly, if a baby is taken an alarm is set off, because evidently there are crazy's out there who go to hospitals and steal babies. The hospital goes into lockdown and everyone is searched for the baby. I am searching people crazy enough to steal a baby, but I am by myself with nothing. If I find them how do you detain them or protect yourself? You dont.

I suspect what it will take is someone on the 5th floor(adiminstration/legal) to get mugged, beat up, assaulted (which we have had) in the parking lot, and then security is called and we are unable to do anything etc. Or one of us is stabbed (which has happened) so bad we are critical etc. and then they will look at additional means.

Officers here LOOK professional, and act professional (most former etc. LE) however we have our hands tied behind out back.

Comment

sgtnewby....what ever happened with your K9 proposal?

Comment

Originally posted by wisecure View Post
                              sgtnewby....what ever happened with your K9 proposal?
                              It's still on the table, but the wheels turn extremely slow here. Recomedations were made about a year and a half ago, and we just started carrying Tasers at the end of December. I may find out more about it's status in the comming days because for some reason, the "Emergency Nurses Association" news magazine found some of my posts, somewhere, and want to interview me about hospital K9's. Not to "toot my own horn," but I think I am the single, largest, repository of hospital K9 information, although we don't have them here yet... I have never been able to find a sigle website or article that outlined every hospital that has them, I had to find them by calling one hospital that I knew had them, and ask if they knew of any others. They would give me a name, I would call them to confirm they had them, and conduct an interview, and ask if they knew of any others.

Tasers were a very big, positive step in the right direction by our hospital, but there are a lot more steps that need to happen to truely make this place as safe as we know it can be. Tasers help us with being more capable of defending ourselves, but they are not an "up front, out there for everyone to see" deterant that will help to deter criminal activity from even entering our facility in the first place, as K9's would (to an extant).

By the way, how did you know about the proposal?
                              Last edited by sgtnewby; 02-25-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X