X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ESI AGENT

• ESI AGENT
    replied
    I went to Rio Hondo's Police acadamy which is great but it does not guarantee a city job. I know lot's of people who have full acadamy certs who work in security. Most of them cannot make background. It could be bad credit or tax issues or issues with a military disschage and lot's of other reasons. Life happans. I also went to Mt Sac which pays their security a police wage. Last time I spoke to one of them they were making $24.50 plus an hour. Not bad for unarmed security.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Like Curtis, technically I am self-employed through a contract role with my employer. They agreed on my offer and I am officially a fixed term employee which means I get holidays, etc and profit shares, bonuses, etc but I am on a contract basis only - so if they want to pay me out 12 months to void my contract it is going to cost them big time.

As for the bigger salaries, you need to be prepared to go back to complete some study which could mean a few months of refresher training or further modules such as RM or Workplace Safety. I add WS to my portfolio 2 years back and realised it is a goldmine that I now include in my services as all companies must be legally compliant here.

Now .......... expect strong competition for these positions and if you cannot get in the front door, circumvent the system and search for opportunities which will lead you there. I know here that the days of expolice or exmilitary walking in and just taking these roles are long gone as the competition from academics and government investigators / security analysts allows a wider pool of candidates. Best of Luck.

Leave a comment:

• Security

• Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    Look for Security Director or CSO positions with global companies. If you want to work in this industry and experience the type of pay your looking for - this type of employment offers endless opportunities.

For myself - self-employment was the way to go. Don't know what your experience level is, but you may want to take a look at it.
    Thanks, Curtis. You've mentioned your career as a self-employed consultant in the past and your line of work does sound fascinating. I don't think I have the experience just yet to go off on my own like you, but it's something to keep in mind down the road. Do you have any books you could recommend to someone who is interested in learning more about your type of work?

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Originally posted by Security View Post
    I have a question... I've been reading that people's salaries "top out" around 50k - 70k. While this is not a bad living, I would eventually like to look for a job that pays around 150k - 200k. Do jobs that pay this well even exist in the security industry?? I am currently making about 65k as a security manager, but the most I could make if I stay here is about 75k. I don't really hear of security jobs paying six figure incomes unless its IT security, but to be honest, that kind of work doesn't really interest me at all. And besides, I'm not even qualified to work in that field, anyway. I have heard of some risk management jobs paying upwards of 300k a year, and this is certainly an option, but I don't know... I would really love to stay in private security; however, the money just isn't here like it is in other industries.
    Look for Security Director or CSO positions with global companies. If you want to work in this industry and experience the type of pay your looking for - this type of employment offers endless opportunities.

For myself - self-employment was the way to go. Don't know what your experience level is, but you may want to take a look at it.

Leave a comment:

• Security

• Security
    replied
    I have a question... I've been reading that people's salaries "top out" around 50k - 70k. While this is not a bad living, I would eventually like to look for a job that pays around 150k - 200k. Do jobs that pay this well even exist in the security industry?? I am currently making about 65k as a security manager, but the most I could make if I stay here is about 75k. I don't really hear of security jobs paying six figure incomes unless its IT security, but to be honest, that kind of work doesn't really interest me at all. And besides, I'm not even qualified to work in that field, anyway. I have heard of some risk management jobs paying upwards of 300k a year, and this is certainly an option, but I don't know... I would really love to stay in private security; however, the money just isn't here like it is in other industries.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    A former CPP partner has a life pension from the armed forces in the UK. Due to his overseas service record from Vietnam to 1st Gulf War and retiring as a Lt Col. he did his 30 and got out working in the private industry after finishing his last stint in Australia before a divorce (she never knew of his pension and gets NADA now). His dad was 1 of the 1st batch of SAS Soldiers in the UK and for those who collect knifes, he served with Fairborn Sykes (famous SAS dagger) from 1947 and also had a life-time pension which shifted to his mother when his father passed away. Free medical and everything for life (as most soldiers did not live past their 60's back then). It is just a buffer that if he could not work he still has the income support to ensure he can be looked after for life.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    WOW! You guys make the dough!!

Anyone want to adopt a b a s t a r d in FL? I'll send you an address to send the checks, lol!

Note: More than one adoptee parent permitted and enthusiastically encouraged!

Leave a comment:

• jeff194307

• jeff194307
    replied
    I have CalPERS retirement and also Military retirement. I use the military insurance since it is the best with lower deductables than the PERS plans.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec

• CorpSec
    replied
    I work for a large corporation. We have great benefits here. I have hired a few ex-cops that had just retired and they are saving hundreds a month in health insurance premiums. One guy went from paying $860 a month with the city to $135 with us for family coverage.

I don't think that our pension is nearly as nice as the Police PERA package. I don't know how the Corrections PERA package is set up.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    Our officers top out at $52,250 and as a supervisor I top out at $67,760. However both officers and supervisors are overtime eligible and get triple time for holidays. We also have profit sharing which generally averages around 8 percent a year.

An officer or supervisor that likes overtime can bolster his/her earnings considerably. Overtime and holiday pay is also included in the profit sharing.

We also get a rule of 90 pension and a 401K. Needless to say, if a union came calling here, they would get laughed out of the building.
    We get PERA Correctional pension. What type of facility do you work?

Leave a comment:

• jeff194307

• jeff194307
    replied
    One correction, CDC officers were POST certified until C-Post came into being. I have a basic post certificate from those times. I started with CDC in 1989. I think that they went to the c-post thing because too many cadets were unable to pass regular post without the dept spending a lot of money on classes that a corrections officer did not need, but were required for a regular post cert.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec

• CorpSec
    replied
    Our officers top out at $52,250 and as a supervisor I top out at $67,760. However both officers and supervisors are overtime eligible and get triple time for holidays. We also have profit sharing which generally averages around 8 percent a year.

An officer or supervisor that likes overtime can bolster his/her earnings considerably. Overtime and holiday pay is also included in the profit sharing.

We also get a rule of 90 pension and a 401K. Needless to say, if a union came calling here, they would get laughed out of the building.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyJ
    replied
    State correctional officer's training is not accepted by city police or sheriff's in California. State correctional officers are not certified by POST, they have STC and CPOST (Standards and Training for Corrections and Correctonal Peace Officers Standards and Training).

Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    $5.85 an hour. You will be making that in Tennessee.

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby

• sgtnewby
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
    Yep, Federal Minimum wage is $5.85 per hour. Assuming a 40 hour work week, thats $12,168 per year. That's crazy, but there it is.

Good thing is many states and even cities have higher minimum wages. Minimum wage levels.
    EEP! We top out at $21.95 p/h + differentials for nights ($1), weekends ($.90 p/h), FTO pay ($.90 p/h while training). Supervisors top out at $27.00 p/h plus the night and weekend diff's. I cleard about $48K for 2007.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X