Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are "video games" contributing factors to all these school shootings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall being on my first solo CPP assignment when the Port Arthur Massacre took place. I also recall another incident about 20 minutes from where I was living in 1987 when another mongrel came into a small shopping centre with an SKS and was randomly shooting people with an SKS rifle and even taking a shot on an open air train platform some 400 yds away with iron sights shooting a passenger. I think 1987 was also the same year of the Hoddle St massacre which was in a Post Office from memory.

This resulted in an immediate ban on semi-automatic rifles, magazines were non removable (stripper clips were limited to 5 rounds) and the ban on mags like Sporting Shooter, Guns and Ammo and SOF. I know I was in the USA in 1988 and I bought 2 years of SOF mags from 1 surplus store only to see them come back for sale again in 1989.

Like I said before all these things contribute but the internet is the worst offender as the access to information once classified is now freely swapped in 2 clicks with others around the world.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

darkenna

I'm not that much older than you... and I recall it being the other way around. The sheer amount of disrespect and bullying I grew up with scares me when I look back on it, and I can see myself traveling the path which would have lead me to being one of the crazy school shooters. I got lucky, and discovered a method for dealing with building rage.

Now I am a well-developed and productive member of adult society. (Which is a bit scary by itself!)
      I guess it all depends on where you grew up too. In my small town in Texas, respect was demanded. It was not a question, you did it. Of course, as far as being bullied, I was a pretty big guy and a multi-sport athelete, so I never really got messed with much. I saw it rarely and it was usually handled swiftly. If you picked on someone, you realized real quick that some people had friends like me...

Comment

Played my share of doom. I'm sure that for the emotionally disturbed person that does nothing but sit at his computer playing violent video games they might reinforce pre-existing violent tendencies, but that same person would have been that way pre computer age. He'd have read violent books etc.

Excuse me, have to go log in to LOTR online. Make sure my dwarf has killed enough goblins for the day.

Comment

Let me put it this way regarding violent video games: It sure hasn't helped any!
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
            Why is Jack Thompson on this forum?
            NA When I first saw your comment about Jack Thompson I had no idea who he is. At first I thought it was an inside joke about a previous forum member. Today after seeing it again I decided to Google him. I watched his You Tube clip with Chris Matthews. Now my head is about to explode. This guy is nothing more than a bottom feeding lawyer representing the family of the victims. I would guess that over 80% of the victims at one time or another has played first shooter games.

In fact if this sponge has kids I'll bet they are not playing put the pink dress on Barbie. Co owning a first shooter site I can say that Counter Strike is an old game an we do not even offer it due to the lack of interest. Turtle Rock Studios released it in 1999 and since then has morphed into a fairly good game Half Strike. I would also suggest that the shooter Ho or Oh did not learn how to from a Video game as the reality of a game is designed for entertainment and extremely exaggerated. I would be more afraid of seeing Thompson on a campus. He has no hard evidence to back up his assertions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd0pbuhsQQE
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X