Double Stands in LE vs Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Stands in LE vs Security

Something of interest - just curious how many of you in Security would be looking for a new job for losing your equipment like this state police force has (don't worry my state probably has worse figures).

Note: $420k AUD is about $380k US and this is Victoria, Australia not Canada.

Police IDs, bullet-proof vests missing
    Sunday Feb 17 06:59 AEDT
    Victorian police ID badges and other missing equipment, including handcuffs and bullet-proof vests, could have ended up with organised crime gangs.

The missing gear, either lost or stolen, includes military and radio equipment, body armour, breathalysers and police uniforms, Fairfax newspapers report.
    There are no reports of stolen guns but Freedom of Information documents indicate the missing items, worth $420,000, comprise 317 police badges, seven bullet-proof vests, 62 pairs of handcuffs, 16 batons and 64 breathalysers.

Three men allegedly impersonating police were arrested last year after an attempted robbery in Kensington, but it is not known whether they were carrying genuine police gear.Opposition police spokesman Andrew McIntosh described the loss as extraordinary and outrageous and posed a threat to the public.

"The question is, have any of these items turned up during acts of crime?" he said. "Police badges and body armour are a real concern and would be worth big dollars in the crime world."Victoria Police spokeswoman Bec Fraser said the force had "a large recovery rate" of stolen items, especially ID badges.
    She said the amount of missing gear was "very low, considering the nature of policing and the amount of operational equipment currently utilised by Victoria Police".

My comments: "the force had "a large recovery rate" of stolen items, especially ID badges" I don't think I would be happy knowing that these items were floating around the place especially the ID badges and vests. If this had happened in private security the one signing for the equipment would be on the street corner next day with a sign "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" as I would expect to be sacked and charged for something similar. Does this happen much in your state / workplace ?
    Last edited by NRM_Oz; 02-17-2008, 05:49 AM.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

It depends entirely on how the equipment was lost or stolen.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Theft from unsecured vehicles is common here as well as inside stations (shock horror).
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
        She said the amount of missing gear was "very low, considering the nature of policing and the amount of operational equipment currently utilised by Victoria Police".
        $420k a "very low loss?" A private security company could go out of business with a loss that size. Funny how casual bureaucrats are so casual about wasting/losing the taxpayers money.
        "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X