X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tacscuba
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    Where I work it got down to minus 72 wind chill today. That is cold, even for a life long Minnesotan like me.

I will admit to being an idiot since I haven't worn a jacket in years. My rationale is that in weather like this I am either parked in a garage, ramp, or just walking from a parking lot to a business.

Well last night, I drove down to a remote site and on my drive around I notice that a hatch is opened on one of the big mechanical sheds on the property.

I figured that it had probably blown open in the 40 plus MPH winds, but I needed to secure it and make sure nobody was bedded down in there. Not that I would have blamed anyone. In minus 72 weather, it is any port in a storm!

So, my dumb, no jacket wearing self has to trudge through the snow and go through the mechanical shed. I was maybe outside for a minute and a half, but in minus 72, that is a minute and a half too long!

I can't be too hard on myself though. I was wearing long sleeves
    Damn, and I thought it was cold out here today

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
    I heard that the thawing process results in excruciating pain. Anyone know if this is true?
    It's like a 3rd degree burn. The nerves are destroyed. It is during the healing that the pain comes back.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Frostbite

I heard that the thawing process results in excruciating pain. Anyone know if this is true?

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    Living here in the North East we have had our share of foul weather but I have never heard of anyone getting frostbite until I was at Ft Hood Texas. In just 1 day 6 guys in my company got frostbite. Mostly hands and ears. The Army sent ambulances around post to pick up anyone unlucky enough to be walking in the high wind. Who would have guessed that I would have to go 1500 miles south to see frostbite close up.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I discovered the hard way that bitter cold and wind can disable one very quickly. First, my eyes begin to tear up and burn limiting my vision. Then my hands got stiff and any dexterity was lost. All I could do was make a dash for my car and once I warmed up I started thinking about what could have happened if I didn't have a car to seek shelter in.

Now I keep hand & foot warmers available, wear a cold weather coat, ear muffs, gloves and eye protection. Too many people have died or been seriously disabled from frostbite. Don't chance it, unless you want to be on one of those TV survival programs about what not to do.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Don of the Dead View Post
    Yep, its been cold here in MN the last 2 days.

I wanna kidnap Al Gore, handcuff him in his boxers to a flag pole and have him explain his "Global Warming" to me.
    Last week, it was 60 degrees. Today it's like -3 with the wind chill. Grr.

Awesome name, btw.

Leave a comment:

• Don of the Dead
    replied
    Yep, its been cold here in MN the last 2 days.

I wanna kidnap Al Gore, handcuff him in his boxers to a flag pole and have him explain his "Global Warming" to me.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    Where I work it got down to minus 72 wind chill today. That is cold, even for a life long Minnesotan like me.

I will admit to being an idiot since I haven't worn a jacket in years. My rationale is that in weather like this I am either parked in a garage, ramp, or just walking from a parking lot to a business.

Well last night, I drove down to a remote site and on my drive around I notice that a hatch is opened on one of the big mechanical sheds on the property.

I figured that it had probably blown open in the 40 plus MPH winds, but I needed to secure it and make sure nobody was bedded down in there. Not that I would have blamed anyone. In minus 72 weather, it is any port in a storm!

So, my dumb, no jacket wearing self has to trudge through the snow and go through the mechanical shed. I was maybe outside for a minute and a half, but in minus 72, that is a minute and a half too long!

Well at least you didn't lock yourself out of your vehicle!!!

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    I wish I was here..............................or here

Leave a comment:

• Here4th$
    replied
    Wind

Sunny Valdez . We get at least a month of it every winter although 137 mph is the strongest that I've heard of. It was recorded on Thompson Pass (also the snowiest place in the country) last Sunday morning. We've been averaging 50mph for the last week or so. It seems to have died down a bit and now it's snowing again.

Leave a comment:

• jeff194307
    replied
    What part of Alaska? I spent four years at Fairbanks and never saw wind like that.

Leave a comment:

• Here4th$
    replied
    Cold

Thats not bad...

This week we had temperatures around 3 degree and wind gusts up to 137 mph! Alaska at it's best! That's why we live here....

Leave a comment:

• jeff194307
    replied
    You are lucky not to get frostbite!!!! Last night here at the college, I looked like some little kid, all bundled up, but I was warm.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    started a topic Minus 72

Minus 72

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X