Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Limo LA
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by NRM_Oz
    I enjoyed reviewing that uniform site LALimo ..........
    Hi, NRM. It seems like they don't update web site often.
    They have nice book Catalogue and it has more selections and custom order forms.
    As I wrote in previous post, I use to pay twice or 5times (for custom badge and name plates, patch) higher for same quality to other custom badge store.
    Especially, I love my new badge paid for $30 than I paid $180 to other store.
    My new badges are solid heavy and nice and rich look than $180 badge.

Originally posted by NRM_Oz
    California is very similar to Sydney when we cannot do this and that but the criminals can
    California doesn't have to send whole uniform's picture.
    We have to send only badge and patch picture to get approved.
    But patch and Badge have to have word "Private Security" and name of company instead of just "Security" .
    Badge have to be worn on upper left chest, but I've seen many plain cloth or semi plain cloth security wear badge on belt with weapon.
    also I've seen a lot of security carry baton with no badge and his "uniform" shows only word "Security" on back of flight jacket or T-Shirts and baseball cap.
    seems like less enforcement for Business and profession code. (It looks like only $250 fine for Uniform violation)

(i) No private patrol operator licensee or officer, director,
    partner, or manager of a private patrol operator licensee, or person
    required to be registered as a security guard pursuant to this
    chapter shall use or wear a baton or exposed firearm as authorized by
    this chapter unless he or she is wearing a uniform which complies
    with the requirements of Section 7582.27.

7582.27. (a) Any person referred to in subdivision (i) of Section
    7582.26 who uses or wears a baton or exposed firearm as authorized
    pursuant to this chapter shall wear a patch on each arm that reads
    "private security" and that includes the name of the company by which
    the person is employed or for which the person is a representative.
    The patch shall be clearly visible at all times. The patches of a
    private patrol operator licensee, or his or her employees or
    representatives shall be of a standard design approved by the
    director.
    (b) The director may assess a fine of two hundred fifty dollars
    ($250) per violation of subdivision (a).

Originally posted by CAR54
    Thanks Limo LA, your a wealth of information.
    Unfortunately no yacht, helo pad or private jet.
    No need to Thank me.
    When I started, My background was(still is) Limo industry (for Celebs).
    I had no knowledge, no friends, no co-workers, No boss for Security industry.
    I kept sending questions to BSIS, I kept talking to security and LE Persons on street etc.
    Many people helped me to get information that I wanted to and should know.
    Now it's time to pay it back to someone.

Especially your new job looks very similar to my field which I've been in many years.

I understand why your employer want to use Lexas for Airport, maybe it's trunk capacity.
    Other cars you mentioned has small trunk (Especially Benz has same size as Corvette's trunk )
    Many people like your employer use airport service agency (Arriving and Departing personal service at airport, like one class up than airline's first class red carpet agent service)
    In future if you (or your employer) want to use those kind of service at LAX, you can e-mail me.
    Also, many people use private jet (doesn't have to be "own jet". "Private jet" means "non public" or "not commercial airliner" mostly "Chartered")
    They have many size of charter jet, good for 2 to 4 people or up to 20 people.
    One of my client use to fly on first class (even 3 years old kid pay full fare)
    Now they can't go back to Commercial airliner (LAX).
    They always fly from and to FBO (Private jet terminal).
    departing and arriving on private air terminal is very very tricky.
    There are no Central terminal for Private jet on Van nuys, Burbank, Santa Monica and even LAX.
    you have to know exact location of entrance gate (there are more than 30 location for LAX, Burbank, Van Nuys, Santa Monica as I know, plus many on Long Beach, Orange Co, Camarillo)
    In future, when you have to take them to FBO (Private jet) you can e-mail me, I will give you detailed info for location, how to go in to tarmac, regulations, how you approach to aircraft when you drop or pick up your client, etx.

Last thing I'm concerning about your new job is "Shift" and "Work hours".
    Many of in-house family security I know (mostly celebs) have 3 or more security personal taking shift.
    and many of them has overnight shift.
    Some of them are Resident (live with client) security.
    You can't protect them 24/7 by yourself.
    I hope you clear those conditions with your employer before your start.
    Last edited by Limo LA; 02-12-2008, 04:39 AM.
    Not many but few chauffeurs are armed to protect clients.

Comment

• CAR54
      • Oct 2005

Some of them are Resident (live with client) security.
      You can't protect them 24/7 by yourself.
      I hope you clear those conditions with your employer before your start.

Hi Limo LA,

I'm on a 3 day on, 4 day off shift and there's 3 other officers, so it's 2, 12 hour days and 1 sixteen hour day. Long days but I'll have most of the week free so it's fine with me. One concern I have is that we'll be on Salary so no overtime. If an officer is late or can't make a shift he'll need to work it out with the other officer as the company is back east.

Somewhat off topic..I'll need to buy a belt holster to carry concealed. Right now my duty gun is an XD 9 but it's the five inch model. I believe Safariland has a holster for that gun but I've been thinking about buying a Walther P-99 which is a little more compact. I was able to shoot one at a gun show (Raahauge's shooting fair) and was very impressed. For all day carry I prefer a full size Polymer framed pistol in 9mm. The compacts are just too small for my hands and the 9mm ammo is cheaper and has a little less recoil.

Also I do have a collapsible Baton but realistically how much gear is going to fit under a blazer?.

Comment

• Limo LA
        • Dec 2007

[I]I'm on a 3 day on, 4 day off shift and there's 3 other officers, so it's 2, 12 hour days and 1 sixteen hour day. Long days but I'll have most of the week free so it's fine with me.
        I think I got whole picture of your new job. sounds like same as other personal protection officers whom I know.
        I like your shift too.
        maybe I like 10 hours 4 days on then 3 days off better but still I like your shift.
        Especially, if you are not living close to client (Employer) , you can save commute time too. (we don't live close to Beverly Hills, BelAir or Malibu....)

Hopefully, nobody get sick or vacation because if you do double shift to cover your buddy, it will be 24 hours shift
        And I think you will have to work extra for special event (Home party, etc) because all Officers will be on duty.

[I]
        Also I do have a collapsible Baton but realistically how much gear is going to fit under a blazer?.
        I think it's maybe depends on your size.
        I'm small person, I can not carry cross draw position because butt of gun sticks out. My 92F shows shape even right side hip position (My waist is 32).
        But Collapsible baton wouldn't show. so as under 2.5 oz tear gas (as you know you can carry over 2.5oz with trear gas permit. I carry over 2.5oz on my duty belt, but 2.5oz or less on plain cloth because size of container)
        I bet you are bigger than me, I believe all XD9, 2.5oz pepper canister and ASP under suit won't show (well it littel bit depends on design of suit but...).

I like Taser but my taser is old big one (M18), Bigger than full 45 Gov.
        with my body size, no-way to conceal it under suits. ( I wear flight jacket or leather coat when I carry Taser concealedly)

I think I saw video that someone conceal more than 15 guns in normal cloth.
        Not those videos but I think those video may help for you.

I'm comfortable if I have choice of weapon. I don't feel comfortable if only weapon was firearm.
        Especially I like baton. I'm black belt for "Kendo" (Martial arts for Sword fight)
        Be Careful, We don't have "concealed carry" Baton permit.

BTW, I don't know your Primary(Employer) but, many Personal protection security whom I know travel with clients, especially Vegas.
        You maybe travel with your gun if you drive or fly in private (Charter) jet.
        NV (Also AZ) is open carry state. you don't need permit to carry openly or in vehicle (glove box etc but not AZ).
        But North Vegas and boulder city is same as CA. Once you cross city limit, you will be arrested for loaded weapon.
        and your gun have to be registered to county and carry Blue card received from PD, when you stay more than 24 hours with your gun in Clark county (Vegas).

NV is shall issue CCW state. you go there take class, no excuse or made up good cause, you will get CCW easily. it's just matter of money and time (1 and half days. spend 1 day for class, half day for county CCW office)
        FL wouldn't honor Non-resident out of state CCW. (FL honor NV CCW but your "non-resident NV CCW" won't work on FL).
        You have to have FL CCW if you will travel to FL with your primary (Client).
        FL also shall issue state. you can take class in CA unlike NV CCW (you have to take class in NV to get NV CCW).
        if you take NV CCW, you don't have to take another class for FL, send copy of NV CCW training certificate to FL.
        Also, UT CCW works many states and you don't have to go to UT to take class.
        NV and AZ, you have to take class within issuing state.
        CO wouldn't take non-resident out of state CCW neither. (when your primary go ski trip to CO, your CCW won't work. tell them let's go to MT instead)

Good luck with your new job

BTW 2
        Let me know when your primary need Armed chauffeured full size limo (vehicle is not armored. because I have to have permit from CHP to oparate if it were armord)
        Last edited by Limo LA; 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• msofin
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Limo LA
          When I was "Proprietary Armed Security", I asked BSIS for legal requirement to be armed.

as far as I remember is,
          You can be security if you work for security company or any lawful business exclusively (Proprietary security officer, read link below).

as you already have Guard Card (not PSO card) and firearm permit, you can be "armed" security officer for lawful business".
          You don't have to take PSO card.
          because if you will be armed, you won't be PSO, you will be "Armed Security officer for lawful business". (exclusively, single employer)

But you have to be W-2 employee (NOT 1099-misc. independent contractor is NOT "Employee" By BSIS point of view).
          and work for single employer (BSIS regulation).
          (you can not have multi W-2 if one of employer is non-security company. you can work for multi companies if all of them are security companies)

for weapon (Baton, Firearm)
          in private property, you have to have "Written permission" to carry loaded weapon from property owner (by penal code).
          You can carry exposed without written permission because you have exposed permit.
          But not concealed (without CCW or without written permission of owner because it's not "your" property).

Outside of property, you have to wear "uniform" which defined as two conditions (by B&P code).
          1. patch on each shoulder clearly shows 2 words "Private Security" and "company name"
          2. badge (or cloth badge) on upper left chest.
          It can be suit and tie (or polo and jeans) but you have to clear those two requirement of "Uniform".

* Your employer (old couple) will have to give you written permission to carry concealed firearm inside of his property.
          * They have to hire you as W-2 employee (not 1099-misc).
          * You can not work for anyone else but them (you have to work for "exclusive" to single employer, if employer is not security company)
          * You have to wear "Uniform" which will be patch on each shoulder and badge on chest when you are armed.
          as long as you wear "Uniform" and you work as W-2 employee for them, you can be armed on outside of his property on duty (protecting person) .

I think other CA members may know more than I do.
          Comment about a 1099, when I was brought on with St Moritz to work ESPN College Game Day the account manager wanted to 1099 me. He was informed by company executives that due to the issues that were caused by Black Hawk in the the middle east congress stepped in and is no longer allowing private security firms to 1099, hire as outside contractors, officers. At least this is the information I was given and was brought on as an employee of the company.

Comment

• davis002
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by msofin
            due to the issues that were caused by Black Hawk in the the middle east
            You mean Blackwater?
            "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

• Limo LA
              • Dec 2007

I don't know if Blackwater stepped in or not.
              But California BSIS has been describing two Security licenses as

* Security registration (Guard Card)
              You may work as security officer for being Employee of someone (Security company or any lawful business)

* Private Patrol Operator (outdated name, doesn't have to be "Patrol")
              You can contract to anyone for providing Security Service.
              you can hire and send registered S/O to clients or you can perform security duty by yourself.
              This is Security Business license for corporate, solo, partnership and self-employee.

No-one (include S/O, PI, Alarm company, locksmith) allowed to make contract for Security service to anyone without Private Patrol Operator license.

if S/O who doesn't have PPO license make contract (1099) to anyone include security company, he is violating B&P code as "providing Security service without license", up to $5,000 fine.
              If he receive 1099, it means he did provide security service as "Self-employee" without PPO license.
              and If security company issue 1099 to S/O (Guard Card) , it means Security company made contract with non-licensee. which is a variation of B&P code.

California S/O must be Employee (W2) by BSIS regulation even temporally duty for just 2 days in whole year.
              Last edited by Limo LA; 02-16-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...